1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is this a legit Fender neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by backalleyblues, Sep 29, 2020.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy, all!

Was out pawnshopping at lunch, and came across this partscaster-body looks like it might be knotty pine with a flame maple top, triple binding on the top rim, and tummy cut. 3 pups (2 strat, 1 telly bridge) no idea on the make of the pickups-all gold plated hardware. What was really interesting is the neck-it's definitely in the strat shape, and cut exactly like a 60's Fender would be cut. It appears to have never had a decal, or it's an old refinish-a lot of checking that ran the length of the neck. The other oddity here is this badge "Original Fender Neck" on the back of the headstock-has anyone ever seen this before? All the markings on the neck (new clay dots and side dots) seem to match everything I remember from an 80's 62RI strat, but AFAIK, I have never seen a neck like this in the wild...

The guy has no idea on how to price it, and personally I'm not sure myself-if this is a legit Fender RI neck (which I loved, btw-great fit to my hand!) that would put this up there somewhat, otherwise to me it's a $400 guitar max...

Any thoughts on this mystery?

Thanks in advance,
    Franc Robert IMG_5891.jpg IMG_5892.jpg

2. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

That is a 100% legitimate Fender reissue neck. I have one. Fender previously and has now resumed selling necks or bodies separately. That is the medallion of an actual replacement neck. It was not originally on a guitar when sold. You bought it separately, and could either replace a neck you broke, or custom build one. Mine is from 1988. Most likely this is U.S. made.

Pics of my neck for comparison.

P.S. If I were to sell my neck on Ebay, which I'm not because I'm going to use it on a custom build with 1 piece swamp ash body, I would expect I'd get around $300-400 for the neck alone being a genuine U.S. made reissue neck.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

It looks like someone put a fender neck on an MCI Intertek guitar. I used to have one. The body looked a lot like that guitar. It was pretty good quality. This is the only picture I could find of it. It had a fancy top like the one you pictured. Just can't tell in this pic. The pup covers were all black when I got it. I changed two of them to white.

IMG_0878.JPG

backalleyblues likes this.
  4. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Thanks!!! The body looks exactly as described, and I found another one on Reverb (this one has a sb finish) where all the hardware matches it. That guitar is listed for $329, sooo, with a real Fender 62RI Strat neck, this is worth? I'm going to guess $500-600 as it plays? Sound about right?

Franc Robert

5. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Hard to place value. It was never sold originally as a complete guitar but is a sort of custom built partscaster. Sold separately for parts it probably would be worth more. Just look on ebay for U.S. made reissue neck and see that they go for quite a bit. On top of that that neck is probably 80's to 90's vintage so it's already a 30-40 year old neck.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I think the value is in the neck, the rest isn't worth much. For that reason, the value to me would be $300-$400.

7. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

First time I see this kind/type of “Fender” neck.. No Fender logo, no serial number, strange stamp font on neck heel.. Never seen such a “Original Fender neck” thing on back of neck head. Why would Fender do this??
    Very strange, just my opinion..

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

If the neck is legit, where's the logo and why are the string trees so close to the nut? Did some come that way? Maybe the buyer of an aftermarket neck put them there. But aftermarket Fender necks have the logo...
    I've seen the badge before, but that one looks a bit funky installed...?

9. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

10. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

They did not come with string trees, tuners, or anything else attached. See the ebay auction I linked above. It's sold a a new, blank neck with nothing installed. The ones on Ebay are from the Mexico factory. The ones I have was made before the Mexico factory opened in 1990.

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.