1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is This A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Murali, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Murali

Murali TDPRI Member

CS putting "treble" bypass caps on Tele TONE controls.
    As seen on this new Custom Shop '52 Tele Relic. That's a .1uf cap between input and wiper and a .02 to ground.
    I didn't expect this on a "reissue" of a 52 Tele. (I didn't expect to see a treble bleed on the Volume control either, really.) It does smooth the decrease in highs.

Wiring-2.JPG

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve installed several treble bleed circuits on various guitars I own and they all have gone between the input and output lugs.
    I’m not a electronics wiz I just go by a diagram at StewMac.
    In fact I’m a big fan of the treble bleed circuit, in general.
    Sometimes it really brings a guitar to life, sometimes it doesn’t seem to have much effect.
    Good luck,

Murali likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The treble bypass cap there is the cap on the volume pot. That cap value code reads 681k which indicates a 680 picofarad cap.
    The two cap arrangement on the the pot is a new one for me.

boredguy6060, if a cap is applied across the in and out lugs of the volume pot, it will have an affect unless the pot is a linear taper pot. The cap will change the sweep of an audio taper pot. A linear taper does not need a treble bypass circuit to maintain the higher crews as the pot is turned down. Note that Gibson uses a linear taper pot on the volumes on regular production guitars.....as do a number of other manufacturers.

4. tubedude

tubedude TDPRI Member

You may perceive it less, but linear or log, both pot types have variable capacitance depending on wiper position. So treble content varies as a result. Also the loudness effect is at play at lowered volume settings.

Murali likes this.
  5. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Greasebucket I’m guessing. I’ve seen it with a resistor in series with the cap to ground to keep from having the resonance spike with the tone control all the way down.

Murali and Wally like this.
  6. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

"Is This A Good Idea?"

No.
    No, it is not.

dlaroe and Murali like this.
  7. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Damn, now I have to try it.

Edit: tried it, @Weazel was right

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Weazel and Murali like this.
  8. Murali

Murali TDPRI Member

Yes. I did a bit of research. A "modified" GB circuit. But we *like* the resonance spike! And the typical Fender cap is .05 or .047 to ground.

It's moot now 'cause I removed and saved the guts as-is and installed pots and switch with the Broadcaster blend circuit. Without the useless (IMHO) 3rd position RC circuit on the original. Instead position 3 is Neck+Bridge.

9. Murali

Murali TDPRI Member

I agree. Especially on what's supposed to be a '52 Tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.