Is this a genuine esquire

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by andyrattle, May 27, 2020.

1. andyrattle

andyrattle TDPRI Member

Was in New York a couple of years ago and wandered into sam ash. They let me play this tele they had in a cabinet...in fact i didn't even ask they kind of insisted. Ever since ive wondered if its real or a fake they try out on brits. You would have to beg a UK shop to unlock a cabinet.[​IMG]

2. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Beautiful, a bit like Jeff Beck's Esquire while he was in the Yardbirds. Will need closer and more pics, for the scholarly people here, to answer your question.

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Domed knobs, early string tree position, steel saddles, top hat knob... That's a very narrow time frame of 1955.

The finish looks spot on the money too, thicker "color" around the edges.

That is more than my car is worth, but it is not a ridiculous price if it's all original.

Is there a year on that price tag, I can't make it out? If it's not 1955 then something has been changed.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

RodeoTex likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Nice looking guitar, but that price is more than I paid for my first house in 1976. You'd have to have documentation that it had been owned by Leo, Jimi, AND Thomas Jefferson before I'd consider buying it.
    Did the guitar shop offer to get you set up with their finance officer?

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

A couple of years ago? Has it taken all this time to get over the trauma?

or did you just stumble into the photo?:)

One picture looks promising, but no way to know - thanks for posting the photo anyway. 18 large seems a little pricey for me but that was a couple of years ago...

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

7. andyrattle

andyrattle TDPRI Member

Another pic i found, not sure this helps identify the guitar though.

IMG_2917 copy.JPG

BBQedIguana likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

in that price range, it would take a full set of gut shots, pickups, wiring, end of neck shot, neck cavity, control cavity, everything to get a reliable assessment.

But wow, that's a pretty classic looking Esquire, if it is one.

I've never been in a Sam Ash shop, but my sense is that there's no particular reason to try to pawn off dicey fakes on just the brits or other tourists...folks on this side of the pond are just as gullible as anyone.

the ease at which you can pull any old guitar off the wall has been pretty amazing stateside. I think it's only been in the last 5 years(?) that many of the big box stores here have started locking up the pricey goods, so you need a sales person to try something out. But even then, until the recent apocalypse, it wasn't any big deal.

I suppose I experienced the reverse of methodology in Paris, maybe 5 years ago. Maybe that little guitar shop cluster below Montmartre? In one of those shops, first time, I just pulled a regular telecaster off the wall and was plinking away. A very polite salesperson (who could easily discern my american-ess...) came by and explained, "please, you must ask before trying". He didn't make me put it back, but I definitely got that the tryout process was different.

andyrattle likes this.
  9. andyrattle

andyrattle TDPRI Member

Didn't think they were trying to rip me off, they were really helpful and im sure they knew i wasn't going to buy a $19000 guitar while on holiday, just wondered if it was a test of some kind :)
    Anyway i got a fender T-shirt so they made a little sale.
    I guess im used to the shops in Londons Denmark Street where you are treated like dirt.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  10. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

About ten years ago I was at a Guitar Center in Chicago with a friend who was looking to put down $1500-2000 on a new archtop. That figure immediately put us both into VIP territory (even though I wasn’t going to be buying anything) and they happily let me play their 1957 Strat that was priced at $63,000.

11. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I've been spoiled by my local here in Brooklyn, RetroFret. 30K Martin? Check it out. 25K Tele? Be our guest. How do you like it? Crank up the Tweed Deluxe, give it a REAL tryout.

Plus they don't need the internet, they have Peter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.