Is this a 1996 Japanese Strat neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by saemola, Jul 10, 2019.

1. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a Strat neck and I've found one for a decent price.
    The seller says it's a '96 Japanese Stratocaster neck with the headstock sanded down cause the color was horrible. He looks like a nice, honest guy, but the heel stamp gives me pause.
    Nut is currently not attached.
    Do you think this is an original? Is it a Squire?
    It doesn't really matter to me as long as the neck is ok, but if it's not a Fender maybe I can push the price down a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

AFAIK neither Fender Japan nor Squier Japan ever had that unlined truss rod access hole.
    The liner doesn't sand off AFAIK, the construction would be when the hole gets the wood plug, and the painting could then cover it.

Fretting out and schmee like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here’s a real mid 90s MIJ Strat neck that seems to have an unlined truss access because it was a Floyd equipped model.
    Skunk stripe detail also missing from the neck in question.

IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Chinese or Korean ink stamp ? it looks playable I'd say Korean

5. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

I'd walk away -- doesn't look like Fender or Squier quality -- bare, elongated truss rod hole, no skunk stripe, misplaced fret dots.

saemola likes this.
  6. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Thanks so much guys, looks like I’m gonna drop it.
    Tough to find reliable stuff.

I have my eyes on this one now and I’m waiting for pictures of the heel, though the fact that current pics cut right before showing it makes me suspicious:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It's neither Japanese or Fender. It would have to be pretty nice & pretty cheap for me to overlook dishonesty.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'd pass on this one as well.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Any specific reason?
    This one I have the chance to see in person so I could actually assess the situation.

10. jonobolton

jonobolton TDPRI Member

That looks like a Squier Standard Strat neck, given the plastic liner around the truss rod access, the 70s-style headstock, and the single holes level to the centre of the tuner holes. From memory, the stock tuners on a Standard have a single pin that sits in that hole rather than being screwed in place, and then the tuner bushings are tightened to stop it moving.

I also found this on the Stratosphere; looks like the same symbols in the heel stamp as on the original neck you posted: https://stratosphereparts.com/2018-...-stratocaster-strat-neck-tuners-guitar-parts/

saemola likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The stamp looks wrong to me. I've never seen a MIJ Fender neck stamp with Kanji (which is what those characters would be if they were Japanese).

The truss rod access looks wrong to me as well, and so do the tuners. Other little details are things I haven't seen before on MIJ Fenders, but then again, I haven't seen every model of MIJ Fender ever made.

It's also highly suspicious that the headstock logo happens to have been sanded off due to a so-called "ugly color," when the rest of the neck was left finished, and doesn't appear to have an ugly yellow tint in the slightest. It would be a rare case in which a genuine fender neck has had the decal deliberately removed. Not much reason for anyone doing such; but there's plenty of reason for someone removing a non-Fender logo.

12. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info guys.
    Shopping for a neck is proving much more difficult than I had originally anticipated.
    Should these be Squire necks, do you have experience with them?
    I'm not a guitarist, so I really can't say, but I don't care about what's on the headstock as long as the neck works, holds its shape, frets are in good conditions, truss rod works, etc...

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

FWIW, Allparts necks are a good equivalent of what went on older MIJ '50s reissues, and they're cheap and have the right headstock shape.

saemola likes this.
  14. jonobolton

jonobolton TDPRI Member

It's hard to say without knowing the age and model of Squier, which you can't really do if they've been sanded off. I tend to avoid buying anything guitar-related if I'm not sure of the provenance. I would say that at most you should pay about 50 euros for one in good condition if you can't be certain of what it is.

saemola likes this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

This is also not likely to be a Fender neck. Possibly a Squier but most of those had 22 frets. Any time the serial number & country of origin is missing that's a red flag.

It appears to have had 70's F style tuners and Kluson style tuners yet it has modern 10 mm holes which are in terrible shape. You could buy a Squier Standard neck any day of the week in better shape.

This one would have to be dirt cheap to gamble on.

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I like many Squier necks. Their quality depends on which models though & if this second neck is a Squier, the seller is hiding that & I wouldn't trust anything about it.

Homemade Thinline.jpg
    Here's a Tele I made (well, the body). It has a Squier Standard neck I love. Notice 22 frets.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Leotis likes this.
  17. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Good point.
    I don't want to spend the €250-ish of a new All-Parts neck, that's why I'm looking on the used market.
    I found another Squire neck for €80.
    I might start looking for squire necks in my area so that I can look at them in person.
    Yours is looking Great on that guitar.

G.Rotten likes this.
  18. Cerb

Cerb TDPRI Member

Neither of the above necks are Fender but I think you already figured that out ;)

saemola likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That guy is super slick; sands the back of the headstock so you won't see the country of manufacture or serial number.

saemola likes this.
  20. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

For the record, I ended up buying a 2010, made in Indonesia Squier Stratocaster Standard neck that I could see in person.
    Other than being in 98% new condition, I was shocked at the quality of the neck.
    Satin feel, beautiful rosewood on the fretboard seamlessly attached to a really nice maple neck with skunk stripe. Decent fretwork (I'm gonna round the edges off a bit).
    For €70, I'm seriously surprised by this neck. With better rounded frets and without the little gap that's under the nut I would have easily thought this was a neck that goes for €200 new.
    For people who are looking, I highly recommend checking this series out.

Cerb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.