Is this 52 AVRI Tele the real deal?!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks a lot mate =D Really excited to be a part of this great community! Hopefully the serial number mistery can be solved!

You can see from the replies so far that you’ll get plenty of info in no time at all. This place is a goldmine! Seems you’ve gotten yourself the real thing!

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I think of the 52 Reissue as like 501 Levi's or Coca Cola.

Think about it - real 52s lasted 2 years and numbered maybe 4500 instruments.

The AVRI, AV, PV, AO Telecaster has been made since late 82/early 83. Although it's changed in detail this model has essentially been continuously produced for nearly 40 years!

That's pretty remarkable..

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
I can't see your pictures for some reason so can't help with authenticating but I'll say this:
- I bought a 2011 AV52 used after a rather extensive quest, and the asking price is on the high side for a pre-2012 AV52. Haggle a bit, and insist on getting the original hard-shell case and if possible all the little accessories…
- AV52s are the yardstick by which all other teles are measured and even though I just stated that I think you could perhaps pay less, a good one is easily worth that money as an instrument
- whether "new style" or "old style" an AV/AVRI52 is a wonderful tele, the kind you get for life. On this site (and on this very thread) there are vocal detractors of old '52s who throw around pejoratives every time they see one… to me, those gold-amber 52s, with their beautiful grain, look much better than the anaemic post-2012 52s with their opaque finish. Supposing that vintage-correctness is a thing … yeah, had you bought a Telecaster in 1952 it might have looked more like the newer ones. But we're not in 1952, and I've never seen a Blackguard from the era looking today even remotely like the newer AVs. For the rest: the two versions sound 130% the same, and I favor the slightly less chunky neck of the older ones, which tend to cost less too.

mojek

Tele-Meister
Unfortunately, there's some misinformation up above. 52RI will have slotted screws, 5 digit serial number on the bridge only, a tighter radius between the headstock and nut than a later model Tele (as pictured in the guitar in question)...

I think the pickguard centering thing is just parallax from the camera angle.

For reference, here are pics of one I just sold for a friend. The original finish was removed and replaced with amber wipe on poly. The saddles were replaced and the bridge was cut down by hand.
Thank you very much for clearifying the misinformation from above!
I have 2011 52 AVRI and the images look exactly the same. Sloted screws, 4-digit serial number, nut is perfectly ok and the BS color is perfectly fine. You can pretty much spot the right guitar even from images. Check the pocket stamps and send it here. It can help. Also if you can distinguish between poly and nitro(softer and warmer), this can help. Zero fret should be bone and is covered in yellowish lacquer. Bridge plate will have scratches from stamp tool. Bridge brass bars looks perfectly genuine.

Last edited:

DanDII

Tele-Meister
I see nothing wrong in your original pics. It looks legit from here. As stated above the first few posts were very misleading. I wouldn't even bother taking it apart if it plays well and you like it.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, I’m with the “there’s nothing wrong” crowd. I’ve had more 52 RI’s that I want to admit, and everyone of them had exactly the same features as the one you’re looking at, slot screws, serial number on bridge plate, etc. Totally legit, IMHO.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
Looks good to me. Here's my '88

IMG_20201114_211441378.jpg

IMG_20201210_094530493.jpg

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
OK...so I'm not 1000% sure on the neck... mine is a bit different, but it's also probably older. The neck head stock transition might be different on the newer models.

IMG_20200422_223233752.jpg

IMG_20200422_223214283.jpg

IMG_20200422_223202821.jpg

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
OK...so I'm not 1000% sure on the neck... mine is a bit different, but it's also probably older. The neck head stock transition might be different on the newer models.

View attachment 908091

View attachment 908092

View attachment 908093

That round lower back edge of the headstock looks more like an MIJ, HOSCO, AllParts shape.

I have a couple AllParts necks and that rounded edge is a very quick tell on my guitars as being NOT genuine. Not saying that there are not MIAs with that feature, I just haven't seen one yet, and I know I haven't seen everything.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
That round lower back edge of the headstock looks more like an MIJ, HOSCO, AllParts shape.

I have a couple AllParts necks and that rounded edge is a very quick tell on my guitars as being NOT genuine. Not saying that there are not MIAs with that feature, I just haven't seen one yet, and I know I haven't seen everything.

yep...my thoughts exactly.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
It looks legit to me. However, I am currently building a fake at this moment and it looks pretty close. If in doubt, pull the neck an check the markings and neck pocket. It should tell that tale.