Is this 22-fret neck compatible with Ash Lite Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Gdecernay, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Gdecernay

Gdecernay TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I’ve been a long time visitor to this forum and have loved it. Recently had a catastrophic accident with my Ash Lite Tele (can’t be too mad though, my 5yo daughter tried to pick it up to “copy me” and it took a fall.) I saw a previous post about neck compatibility but it focused on a 21-fret replacement. I was looking around and found a 22-fret rosewood neck (I’ve always preferred that at heart) American Professional replacement neck and was wondering it that would work or if it would negatively impact the tone/not fit. I know there are unique things about the MIK Ash Lite, like the pick guard not being a typical one, so wanted to check if there were any things to be aware of regarding the neck. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I believe that as long as the neck heel and body-pocket are the same size for a tight fit - and the neck was for a 25.5" scale (or same scale as your guitar was set up for) it should be fine.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I don't know if it's the same now, but the Lite Telecasters I've seen had a 22 fret neck with a non-undercut heel.

If the original neck on the guitar has 22 frets and the heel is flush with the fretboard, standard spec replacement necks will not work.

4. Gdecernay

Gdecernay TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies! I found some pictures that show the neck joining the body. I’m not sure if these answer urbandefault’s point:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. Gdecernay

Gdecernay TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies! I found some pictures that show the neck joining the body. I’m not sure if these answer urbandefault’s point:

Attached Files:

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

Can't tell from those pics.

If you can take the pickguard off a 22 fret Tele without removing the neck, a replacement neck will not fit.

Think about it. Leo's design was a 21 fret neck flush with the body, and the pickguard mated to it. When Fender came out with the 22 fret neck, all that changed was that the extra fret laid over the pickguard.

Look at where the shaft of the neck ends. 21 or 22. Overhang or no.

7. Gdecernay

Gdecernay TDPRI Member

Yeah I can see now why those pics won’t tell you. Found a pic of an ash lite neck and it does look flush. Also looked at the rosewood neck and can see the overhang.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.