is this 2001 strat american standard real? is it worth to buy? 650usd used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Smokey1023, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Smokey1023

Smokey1023 TDPRI Member

CD80EA36-25CA-4C03-885E-0B770647D7B3.png AFD3048C-4AC3-4684-9DB4-A7291EE73033.png F8AFB6DE-F760-489D-8F04-42FBDBC2170D.png I checked the barcode it seems legit but didnt say exactly what year. The parts look rusted. I am not good replacing stuff but should I get it as collector. The guy is selling it used for 650usd. However, I didn't find much about this guitar and its spec online esp natural satin one with rosewood fretboard (one i see online is usually maple fretboard) so want to know if this is authentic or fake version?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    JL_LI, Dismalhead and Treehouse like this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

More detailed pics are required to know for sure, especially closeups of the headstock, front and back, as well as the body. And, pics of the electronics would help immensely too.

Dismalhead and Smokey1023 like this.
  3. Smokey1023

Smokey1023 TDPRI Member

ye
    yes just uploaded

4. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I have that guitar (with a maple neck) but all the other details match. And that ash body has nicer grain... and definitely in better shape than mine (original owner) after many years of abuse.

I doubt it’s a fake. And I doubt mine will ever be a collector's item. But it is a very nice guitar with a nice neck. And that seems like a fair price with the case if you like playing it.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Ok. Just if you really feel like being paranoid...

I looked at mine again and it had a slightly later serial number than that one. AND the last 6 digits of mine are bold unlike your pictures. My Fender label on the headstock also doesn’t have quite the same cutout appearance as those pictures, but it’s a satin neck. I think I’ve seen some old legit Fenders that look just like that one.

Again, I don’t think it would be worth faking this guitar. It’s not ever going to be a real collectors item. But my neck feels great and the microtilt and case are awesome. I’ll never get rid of mine and never expect to get rich from it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It looks legit to me as well; I've seen serial number decals that look like that from time to time, and nothing else stands out. The counterfeits just aren't that close to a real Fender.

7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Send the serial number to fender and ask them for the detailed specs. See if what they send you matches the guitar. Use listings on reverb and eBay to compare prices. If it's real then I imagine it's a very nice guitar but if it's never had service then maybe you can bargain to knock off $50 or $100 bucks to pay for the expert setup you'll want done after you buy it. Especially if you can tempt the seller with cash in hand.

The weak points on my 94 MIA Strat were lame pickups and no locking tuners. The luthier had a hard time getting the intonation just right, but now it almost plays itself. Other amateur players don't like it because it's too easy to play, but I have a light touch. Sometimes I think the rosewood fret board makes it worth a bit less. I would prefer maple. But it must be nice enough cuz I've had it for 25 years.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Treehouse and scelestus like this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

It matches my '06 American Tele perfectly. Parchment guard on natural ash. Very nice looking guitar. Bet that's real thick poly. Case looks correct too.

I don't see any flags, but get that serial number checked out and you should be good to go. Good price too. Act quickly before it's gone.

[​IMG]

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Before you even call, Fender now has a registration form where you can at least test the number.

https://www.fender.com/product-registration/serial-search

Edit: I don't think it's an American Standard, I think it's an American Series (same spot in the product line, just different range of years). Looks like a 2001, the first year for those. AmStds had two string trees in their first iteration, and AmSers had one string tree.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

That grain is fantastic. That thing looks like a piece of marble.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

What caught my eye first was $650. Then the guitar. The body looks beautiful. I like the contrasting rosewood neck. The body looks like a two piece body. I don't think you'd find that on an MIM in 2001. The case looks like a Fender case from that time. If the frets are in good shape and you like the way it plays and sounds, $650 is a good, maybe great, price for a quality guitar. Value is the value a purchaser attaches to the purchase. It's worth it if you think it's worth it. If I were looking for a Strat in that price range and it checked all my boxes, I'd probably look no further.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It appears to be a decent price and condition. If it's what you want get it. I have paid $500 for US Sunburst Strats, but those were bargains. $650 is not bad at all.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Ash body usually was a little more. Looks in tidy shape for nearly 20 years old.

It'll never be a collector but is a high quality pro guitar.

Tommy Biggs and soundchaser59 like this.
  14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Mine is a 40th anniv reissue, and it does have 2 string trees. The fret job and the intonation on it are flawless, probably the main reason why I've kept it so long. My ear hears the tiniest little imperfections in tuning.

If I flashed five $100 dollar bills in front of that seller and he took it, I would consider that a major steal. $600 with the original hs case (exact same as my case) is a good price. I'd be very tempted to pay the $650 if the guy wouldn't budge on price and if I had the extra $50 bucks to burn on it, especially if he gave me the cord and extra sets of strings. If it was $700 or higher I'd probably keep looking around just to see what else is available first. But I'm biased because I already have a good Strat and I'm leaning more for a Tele now.

15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks good. Do ask whether the electronics are original but even with (decent) replaced pickups it’s still not bad for the money if you’re buying it to play rather that collect.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Looks legit

17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Looks real and unlike what others are saying, I think the price is actually quite low. I( have an intense dislike for natural/thick poly finished guitars (what's "natural" about bartopped ash???) but even so, I would consider buying that one given the value. And yes, I'd strip it and refin in nitro or thin poly. Even as it is, I consider that a good guitar and a very good value.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

We don't get to choose what will become a collector's item over time ;)
    Once mythical stories start emerging collectors will start buying them up. If, when and who starts the mythical stories is the unknown.

Strictly my opinion....
    I would never buy a guitar as a collector piece unless it has reached that status already and I was able to buy LOW (securing my investment). I'm not much of a gambler :D

That said... the price is decent on this guitar, and you are not likely to lose money on it. You just might have to sit on it for 1, 2 even 3 decades to really see any real return on investment. Any deviance from original will push that timeline further back... even a poly to nitro refin!

Treehouse likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.