Is this ‘63 Jaguar hack job worth it?

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep, crazy world with vintage guitars these days. A good pre-CBS Jaguar still seems undervalued compared to strats and teles of the same years.

Dunno about "undervalued", but definitely "less insanely priced". But, I get it. At that level you're not paying for what it does, but what it is.

no doz

Tele-Meister
lol which shop is that? asking price is wiiiild

headstock isn't for me and you'd more than likely take a bath on it if you decided to resell eventually. like others suggested, for that price range / era you can definitely find one that plays great that will actually hold its value / appreciate. i'd avoid it personally

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
run away, now! No way that guitar is worth anywhere near the asking price.
For that kind of $ you could find a couple really nice used guitars.
And that headstock! what were they thinking? you might be able to make into a Tele shape but that still doesn't work for a Jaguar body IMO.

Last edited:

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The headstock should stay as is. I think things like that give an instrument a sense of history and experimentation (which is all relative, of course).

But the important thing is how you describe playing it. Maybe it fits like a glove, in some sense. You've got the hard facts from others, but there's the emotional factor.

When I was teaching, I would be looking for signs of an emotional connection, bang, bammo. I could walk away knowing that they will want to work on their stuff.

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Poor thing.

If I cracked it open and liked what I saw under the hood, i.e. almost all matching original parts, and I had money to blow, I might drop a grand on it. Then I would send it to a well reputed restorer for a refinish, sell the neck, and buy a period correct one for it.

Does it include the original case?

The "gap" is nothing but a poorly applied neck shim; it's the least of your worries with that thing.

I can tell you that the bridge is definitely not original. It's a Mustang bridge.

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
Poor thing.

If I cracked it open and liked what I saw under the hood, i.e. almost all matching original parts, and I had money to blow, I might drop a grand on it. Then I would send it to a well reputed restorer for a refinish, sell the neck, and buy a period correct one for it.

Does it include the original case?

The "gap" is nothing but a poorly applied neck shim; it's the least of your worries with that thing.

I can tell you that the bridge is definitely not original. It's a Mustang bridge.

Yeah I agree. There’s probably some value in the parts if original. It’s definitely workable at the right price.

Also on my AV 65 jag I thought it would be cool to put a mustang bridge on it. The action was so high I would have had to shim the neck like this one. The non adjustable saddles was the issue. Probably the same for this one too.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
here's a pic of my 63' my bros' is playing it
one of the best guitars I've ever owned
it was originally lake placid blue but the owner stripped it to natural had he kept the original color it was classified as a rare color and consiquently worth a lot more!

K2.jpg

Last edited:

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There’s more than one way to value that instrument. You can value it based on its probable resale value, which has been hashed over pretty thoroughly already. Seems like $1200 max is a good consensus number. But you can also value it purely on what it’s worth to YOU.

when I buy something knowing that I’m going to get hammered on it if I try to resell it soon, I just ask myself how much pain the asking price will inflict on me. So, if I can blow $50 on something that I might get $10 for, but I won’t even miss $50, I figure what the heck. I’m getting $50 worth of joy out it, who cares if I can’t resell it?

if you can get $3500 worth of joy from this guitar, and $3500 won’t cause you to struggle financially in any way. Why not? On the other hand, if $3500 is going to require several months to repay, or make it tough to make rent this month, then buying this instrument does not seem like a good idea IMHO.

BassKulcha

Tele-Meister
The headstock should stay as is. I think things like that give an instrument a sense of history and experimentation (which is all relative, of course).

But the important thing is how you describe playing it. Maybe it fits like a glove, in some sense. You've got the hard facts from others, but there's the emotional factor.

When I was teaching, I would be looking for signs of an emotional connection, bang, bammo. I could walk away knowing that they will want to work on their stuff.

This is a great perspective, thanks.
There’s no way I could/would pay asking, but it sounds so good and plays so well that that emotional factor is definitely strong. I’m going to have to hold off and just bite the bullet on this one.

Maybe I’ll find another one that speaks to me in a similar way (there’s a incredible playing ‘65 Strat at Retrofret in Brooklyn for a *measly* 23k that I haven’t been able to get out of my head for 9 months now—so it could be worse I guess!)

BassKulcha

Tele-Meister
Guitar Center has a Classic Vibe Jag on sale for $399 right now. It probably doesn't sound as good, but I'm sure you could get your favorite tech to get it to play just as well for less than $200. Just saying.

Yes there are many cheaper options out there. I know we all know this already—but like any work of art or piece of music there’s a massive chasm between just ok and really special. They may look similar, or sound superficially similar, but when you see or hear it you just know, right? I’m far from anything special on the guitar, but I haven’t played anything new that is in the same solar system as this—not to say that it’s not possible, but just that I haven’t come across it yet.

In any case, I’m going to have to keep looking—I’m not dropping that kind of money on this one…

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
Refinished early Jags have certainly gone up a bit recently but to me $3.5k is probably what it's worth after a decent refin to 60s spec and the headstock built back up, assuming original parts under the bonnet and the body contours not having drifted too far during the refin.

It actually strikes me as a fun project - if you did a custom colour refin with a matching headstock you could build the headstock back up and no-one would know from the front - but I think I'd be taking an interest around the $2k mark.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
What happened to the headstock?

At some point you should question the integrity of someone pricing something that high relative to what it is. What else aren't they telling you?