1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there such thing as ''decompressor'' (lol) pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hotairguitar, Nov 1, 2020.

1. hotairguitar

hotairguitar Tele-Meister

Bingo! and its not tone loss by the length of chain either, one cheapo pedal is enough to rigidly compress the signal.

but that seems one EQ after each offending pedal as all my pedals are cheapos, now costcutter becomes extra cost lol

2. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I'd go with the Sonic Stomp placed at the end of the offending pedals. It's probably best for what you want to do. It does add a bit more sparkle and "openness" to the sound.

hotairguitar and green_henry like this.
  3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I should have put that better - just one EQ at the end of the chain to put the goodness back :D

hotairguitar likes this.
  4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I am in this camp on the matter. I have tried a few inexpensive pedals and have just not liked what they have done to the tone. I prefer pedals where time has been spent to engineer a proper sound out of it. These obviously cost more, and I think there are things the cheap knock-offs miss, even if they are in the ball park of the sound.

The EQ pedal as suggested above is probably your cheapest solution, but I'd get a decent one, i.e. Boss, MXR, etc, maybe even a good parametric eq pedal (more $$ though.) If that doesn't solve the issue, then consider higher quality pedals. Here is a great video on comparing graphic and parametric eq from Wampler:

and this is the video he references about how to use EQ pedals

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    hotairguitar likes this.
  5. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Why yes it’s called a Rangemaster.

hotairguitar likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Digital technology isn't what people think it is. A compressor reduces dynamic range by taking power from the loudest parts of the signal and using it to raise the level of the weakest parts. Alone, it often sounds good. It is impossible to re-expand the compressed signal and get back to the original uncompressed tone though. Expansion can only take what is fed into it and expand it back to the original range. What was lost is still lost. AI and machine learning can "guess" at what was lost and put back a facsimile and get better and better at it as long as it has uncompressed and less aggressively compressed samples to use as a reference. I deal with instruments that do this with optical signals. But it can't be done in anything resembling real time. Capabilities such as these won't be found in clone pedals. The software alone costs more than all the components in a good rack. Be patient. It's coming. To studios first for post processing. Eventually to guys like us.

Drew617, Marc Morfei and hotairguitar like this.
  7. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

How is it you like the "tonal color" but feel they are too "compressed"?

Buy a better pedal...

8. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

You could blend the distortion pedal chain with a bit of the clean signal. I believe there is a Boss pedal that can do all kinds of signal chain routing.

However, a lot of these Chinese clones are fairly faithful reproductions of the original circuits of the pedals they are copying. There's not a lot of influence in regards to compression that cheaper parts will have on the signal. I'm thinking that you may not be using the correct circuit design for the response that you are looking for.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too many variables.
    1. How many pedals?
    2. What pedals?
    3. What order?
    4. How are you powering them?
    5. How many do you turn on simultaneously?
    6. How do you set them?
    7. What guitar instrument cables and how long?
    8. What patch cables and how long?

If pedals have created a mess of your signal and are taking away dynamics, it is highly, highly, highly unlikely ADDING another will fix it. It will probably make it worse. Or at best you won’t be hearing your guitar.

Answer the above. Then as always. Plug your guitar straight in with your guitar to board cable. Does it sound right? If so, plug your guitar straight in with your board to amp cable. Sound good?

Then plug each pedal individually between those two cables, one at a time, with its own PS. No other pedals in chain.

Either each will sound right or you’ll find one(s) that don’t.

If each sounds good on its own. Add one to the chain at a time, until you find the trouble spot(s).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  10. hotairguitar

Thank you so much everyone, sorry for the centuries of delay getting back at you. And just now, the solution of going for quality pedals hit another wall

powerful pedals designed to drive tubes may be too harsh for solid state circuitry?

talking about chasing your own tail eh?

11. hotairguitar

(caramba) Thank you mate.

and have you done it yourself?

Or to make sure i won't break the pedal i should take it to a technician?

Thank you again

12. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

Try an EHX knockout got notch filter ... super easy to dial in and made in NYC ... love it!

hotairguitar likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

If you have to buy something else to correct the sound of the "cheap" petal it's not really a cheap petal anymore. I'd just get the one it's based on.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  14. hotairguitar

it was ok at the beginning but not for long and true, it just incurred bigger cost

15. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Read that a couple times...Is OP trying to find a pedal to make his cheap clone pedal sound better?

Seems like best idea is buy a single high quality pedal :)p)

Or if the cheap pedals are causing 'tone suck' - you could get a loop switcher to take them completely out of signal path when unused.

16. hotairguitar

no sir its not tone suck

my case is your first guess exactly

17. BigBillow

Wow...well I salute you for thinking outside the box! Seriously!

Confucius say: if turd falls in woods; can it not be polished?

IDK, eq pedal (maybe parametric) might help. Also, if all your pedals are true bypass, something that has a buffer in it may help. shrug

18. hotairguitar

i have conceded now toy will ''feel'' like toy despite tonal/frequency emulation claims

i got it guys:cry:

19. BigBillow

IDK man, some of those $20 knock-off pedals supposedly sound pretty good. The build quality is 'disposable' - and there is no resale value. Watch some youtube videos for recommendations. The JHS pedals guy is surprisingly nice about cheap stuff...and videos are fun to watch.

You don't have to blow big $ to have fun playing. But you if buy quality gear, especially pedals, they have good resale/ trade value.

You made it sound like you hate the pedal and want to fix that somehow. Nobody in good conscience is going to recommend that.

Just sell (or trash) that pedal you hate already! Life is short. :)

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Or get yourself a nice clean boost in front of the chain, something along the lines of a Dyno Brain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.