1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there such a thing as an acoustic guitar amp head?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by paulblackford, Apr 9, 2021.

1. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I have an old Polytone mini-brute III amp that crapped out, so I turned it into a cab. The Eminence-made 15" speaker, intended for bass, and guitar, sounds great. I don't think I would be able to sell it for much, and if I keep it, I thought it would work well with an acoustic. I've looked around, but nobody seems to make an acoustic head, or even an amp-in-a-pedal, like a quilter interblock. Does anybody know of anything like this? Thanks.

drewg likes this.
  2. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

My Vox MV50 Clean (mini nu-tubes) works perfectly fine with my dreadnought (K&K passive pickup). Not sure if you would call that a head, but that's how people use them.

I was trying to plug into my stereo system through the vox which wasn't too successful. But the fault lay with the receiver and hi-fi speakers (and me for attempting such a stunt), not with the Vox.

I was most impressed that the MV50 didn't feedback and I'd like to try it with an actual guitar speaker...

LGOberean and paulblackford like this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

My Silverface Deluxe Reverb sounds great with my Yamaha AE.

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

There are some acoustic preamp pedals, sometimes referred to as acoustic DIs. For acoustic you really want some high end in the speaker so you usually have a tweeter to go along with it.

The main problem would be a power amp for your setup. You would want something with good power so you can have high headroom and play clean without distorting.

paulblackford and black_doug like this.
  5. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Orange have a dedicated acoustic preamp that's meant to be very impressive.

6. Les Paul lover

paulblackford likes this.
  7. Les Paul lover

8. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Obsessed and paulblackford like this.
  9. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

That looks interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for one. They seem to be a little rare outside of Europe. I'm not sure I'm serious enough about this idea to commit over $300 for it. Great find, though!

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Look at the micro bass heads. They are designed to be clean, wide frequency range, and usually have a high input impedance like an acoustic amp. Something like this 200w, paperback sized amp:

[​IMG]

Some have effects loops, and onboard compression is useful for acoustic instruments.

PhredE and paulblackford like this.
  11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I got a lend of an ampeg 20w bass amp about 6 months ago and I use it for anything with a piezo; banjo, guitar, mandolin and bouzouki. Acoustic voiced amps can be really harsh and spiky - bass amps are well worth checking out.

12. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

This is an excellent tip! I should have thought of it, with a few jazz players I've seen using these. I'll have to keep watch for a good price. Thanks!

PhredE likes this.
  13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

That Trace Elliot ELF head...I played a Strat through one of those at a GC year or so ago and had a good time. It seemed like after a certain point of gain knob rotation, compression increased in stages. At high gain settings it was getting some grit and that plus the compression made some pretty cool rhythm tone. It seemed like a cool amp that would be fun to run all my instruments through...and I was tempted, but I need more than 200 watts for bass.

14. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I was looking into the TC Electronics BAM 200 (200wrms into 4ohms, w/3 way tone stack, a DI out and headphone out) running about $150-$180 and weighs 2lbs (fits on the pedal board!)
    The next model up the (BQ 250, I believe) includes the built in compression in addition to the above and a 4-way tone stack; about $190.

15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

No heads to my knowledge. 2x12 combos are almost as loud as a half stack. Any louder and you will be running straight into the pa with a preamp setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.