Is there something wrong with my 5e3? (see Video)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sethriggenbach, Apr 10, 2021.

1. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

Compare how close that distortion is 120Hz sound to rule out it comes from mains frequency? E string fret 6 is 116,5Hz and fret 7 is 123,5Hz so pull fret 6 sharp.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The no-brainer would have been to build it correctly but that's not your fault. Did you remove the green wire and see what happened tone wise?

3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Here is a generic representation of your output transformer. the secondary winding "common,(com)" should be connected to ground via the output jack... It is.... the 4 ohm tap should be connected to a 4 ohm load when used. the 8 ohm tap should be connected to an 8 ohm load when used. your green tap is connected to ground terminal of the second output jack. This is greatly changing the reflected impedance of your OT primary and causing your unexpected sonic displeasure! move the green wire to the other terminal or as mentioned just cut it and cap it off. By the way... What output transformer do you have and plugged into what speaker. sorry if you have answered this already but be confident that you have the correct load on the chosen tap. Fix the connection and enjoy your Tweed Deluxe!!!!

upload_2021-4-13_16-21-34.png

4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

So, after all that has been said, does any one know if the OP has acted on the recommendations? Has the amp been fixed?

5. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

I had issue which sounded similar, it could or could not be the same. It was faulty output transformer. The symptoms were following. 5E3 is normally very loud, my was like half of it. Second, it went into distortion very quckly. And third, it had this hissy noise in it. I have changed every tube in it and it didn’t help. Then measured resistance of both output transformer secondaries and they were very different, like twice the value. It´s simple, take out the 6V6’s and measure it. It´s rare, but it happens. With replaced OT the amp came into life and plays like a dream and loud...

6. sethriggenbach

sethriggenbach TDPRI Member

I've disconnected that green wire and capped it off, seems to have had ZERO impact on sound, playability, response etc. Even 'hot swapping it' back and forth between connected incorrectly and not connected at all, there is zero discernable difference. Same weird static etc. It's connected to a reissue Jensen P12Q, 8ohm

Here are the transformers (Supposedly ClassicTone? Can't find anything similar online...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will say, this amp is INSANELY loud as is, just as loud as my deluxe reverb

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Not the OP, but I've not touched it. I plan to take it back to the builder at some point for some instruction on how to use it. Something I read somewhere, suggested this amp is designed to take 6L6 or 6V6s, and the two speaker jacks are somehow involved? Again, over my head, but very curious. Oh, and it sounds and plays perfectly as-is, so I'm not in a hurry to to be hasty with any changes.

8. sethriggenbach

@D'tar

Also, the way the 8ohm jack is currently wired has no green cable, which seems to contradict the wiring diagram found here??: http://site.triodestore.com/5E3DeluxeLayout40-18017120V.pdf

Shouldn't the yellow cable hooked up to the main output jack instead be replaced by the green cable I disconnected from the jack on the right?

[​IMG]

9. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, if that diagram corresponds to your output transformer that would be a 4 ohm output jack. But we don't know if that is the correct diagram.

10. sethriggenbach

How would I find the correct diagram? I've scoured the web and I can't find a single transformer with the same part number listed anywhere

11. ArcticWhite

Also, that jack you disconnected is weird. It has three terminals but no shorting leg. And one of the terminals does not have a hole.

12. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

What happens at lower volumes? They dont really sound all that great fully dimed to begin with. You have to manage the vol. With guitar and amp controls

13. sethriggenbach

All of the clips I've posted have the volumes cranked, and there are no issues with the clean tones achieved at low volumes

14. ArcticWhite

You mean both volumes dimed at the same time? That's not going to produce a usable tone IMO.

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I just inserted this quote to get the OP's attention.

According to one schematic listed above (which may or may not reflect your tranny) it listed the 4ohm lead as yellow and the 8ohm lead as green. You mentioned in another post that you are running an 8 ohm speaker.
    I think that running a 4 ohm output line to an 8 ohm speaker will make the speaker not work efficiently. Being that you said that at lower volumes there were no issues I am wondering if you are feeding 4 ohms into an 8 ohm speaker.

My first suggestion is to find what schematic that Output Tranny is using. Then hook the 8 ohm lead to the speaker out that you are using with your 8 ohm speaker.

Don't give up, you are getting close.

aadvark likes this.
  16. sethriggenbach

Sorry - to clarify, guitar into bright channel input one, bright channel cranked, other channel at zero. Tone sounds GREAT except for the weird quickly decaying fizziness.

I can't find a single schematic, or reference to either tranny, anywhere on the internet.

Part numbers are:

• 40-17027
    • 40-16981

17. ArcticWhite

Screenshot_20210413-181713_Chrome.jpg

Did you read this?

18. sethriggenbach

Yes, and to be honest I 'm not sure what to take from this

1. The video does show guitar into bright channel input 1, with bright channel on 12 and normal channel on zero, tone knob at 6 (see screenshot from the video below)
    2. I've tried all variety of knob positions (I'm aware of the interactivity and am able to dial a variety of tones) and in each position, if there is natural overdrive present, the weird fizziness is also present
    [​IMG]

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's OK Wally - I was just taking the piss. :D

You know I love you brother, for putting me into my Superchamp.

Wally likes this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

So there's your answer. There's nothing wrong with the amp. It's a cathode biased, limited 50s design general audio amp running way outside it's intended purpose. Which was, get a guitar and microphone over a 88 key, doghouse bass and snare drum in a honky tonk. If it plays ok clean and has plenty of volume then it passes muster

They do sound great for break up - but not cranked on one channel into an attenuator. Looks like you have a 5E3 spec output - that's dinky. Part of their natural compression is that saturated. Into an attenuator I reckon you'd want to keep a few spares.

The P12Q probably isn't helping as they don't seem to have much bass or top end even with no attenuator.

I think the odd harmonics you're hearing is what's always there but less apparent without being squashed.

I also don't think this amp will cut it for your intended purpose, but I could be wrong as I haven't heard your band/mix volume.

aadvark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.