1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there room for another Thinline P90 build? ;)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sergiomajluf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I've been lurking around for a while, until I decided I was ready to jump right in, and already started collecting materials and parts.

I have access to a CNC router at work, so my personal challenge #1 is to use as much of it as possible to build this guitar and #2 to document every and each step so its an educational thread. And as I already have too many solidbodies, and no tele among them, I'll attempt to build a Thinline.

Hopefully this thread will be fun :twisted:!

Are we ready?

2. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Ready when you are...Go!

3. The Boss

The Boss Tele-Meister

Sounds good to me! Looking forward to seeing how it goes! Post lots of pictures!

4. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a good plan. I'll be watching.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

That'll be the next build for me so I'll be here. If I get the time... As was mentioned post lots of pics.

6. sergiomajluf

Let's go: wood for the body

It all started with this piece of Paquio (Jatoba) wood. It measures 95.8cm x 23cm x 5cm, or 37,7” x 9.05” x 2”

When I got it at the barrak, I asked them to loaf it to 4cm height. So I ended up with two pieces: a thick one at 3.9cm / 1.5”, and a thinner one at 1.1cm / 0.43”

The thicker one is the body blank, which I'll hollow like a Thinline, and hopefully the other will become a carved top.

Unfortunately, the bandsaw wasn’t straight so the body has a convexity and the top is frankly curved. Having left the wood in my car trunk for two sunny weeks didn’t help.

I’ll set up the CNC mill to plane the wood so good measures can be taken and build from them.

Quick poll: are attachments at the end of the post fine, or would you rather have them inline with the text?

Attached Files:

7. sergiomajluf

For the neck I’ll be using maple. I can’t tell if this is hard maple, just maple or any other maple :) But it smells like maple, and looks like maple so… it is.

02-01-maple.jpg

I got what I think is a 5/4 piece, meaning 4cm / 1.5 “ thick, 13.5cm / 5.31” width and 277cm / 109” long. It was fairly straight, looked good, and asked the barrak where I bought it to cut it in three pieces, 92cm / 36.2” long, each.

02-02-maple.jpg This picture also shows the Paquio wood after a first pass with the CNC 02-03-maple-paquio.jpg

Once cut, I did a “resonance test” following the frudua website, and two of the pieces sound similar (around D4), one of them with a little bit more sustian. The third one is clearly a semi-tone lower (C#ish) sounding, which I think is the desirable one, right?

02-04-maple.jpg

8. sergiomajluf

As you already know, I decided to plane all my wood using the CNC, so I could then cut the body and top in half and glue them side to side.

After doing the first side it’s pretty evidente how curved my blank was :(!
    03-01-curved-top.jpg

Also on the thinner piece, the edged appear to be either dry or contaminated. The wood seems bleached and there are a few cracks. I can still saw those parts out and still have enough to cover the top of the guitar body.
    03-02-dry-edge.jpg

Nevertheless, the result is beautiful to my eyes. Theres a nice grain into it, and the top piece resulted in something flat yet high enough to still think about carving it later on.
    03-03-result-straight.jpg
    03-04-result-jatoba-grain.jpg

9. sergiomajluf

This video shows how stained/rusty the wood was, and how it turns out. I’m really happy with the grain. To my novice eyes, it’s similar to mahogany, but less red.

This other video shows the CNC milling of the thin blank, and some recalibration needed for the CNC.

The following images show the main wood looking good... pun intended... and a screenshot of the EnRoute software used to control our CNC

Attached Files:

10. sergiomajluf

It’s time to plane the maple blanks. I have three and will probably plane them all. Two will certainly be necks, and the third one… who knows.

I’m thinking maybe doing a compound wood carved top? What do YOU think? Maple center, Paquio sides?

Anyway, this is the first blank pre and post CNC processing. Beautiful wood.

Attached Files:

11. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice looking wood. I like pictures mixed with text. And more pictures.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What he said ^^ That last piece of maple had a very nice ring to it. I'd use it. Sorry about the wood curvature. It happens, try to keep it out of hot cars, etc. Very hard on wood, and especially hard on finished guitars. Interesting build, thanks for sharing. From my perspective, we'll make room for anything with P=90's on it! :D

13. sergiomajluf

More wood updates

Still figuring out what to do with the body construction, so I'll sketch some ideas first.

This image show how both woods compare to each other.
    05-01-side-by-side.jpg

This other photoshopped side by side supposedly shows how the Jatoba/Paquio will look like once finished. I'll try mineral spirits on them soon.
    05-02-paquio-photoshopped.jpg

By the way, what is mineral spirit? I've looked up translations into spanish and came up with two separate solvents. Is that the one you can use to thin synthetic based enamel and oil paint (called "aguarrás"), similar and based from trementine, or the one you can use to clean adhesive stickers, which is more similar to lighter fluid (called "bencina blanca")?

The maple blanks have a few stained spots. Is that mold? Should I worry?
    05-03-maple-fungus.jpg

I have way more pictures, but I'm also trying to be selective on what to show so they prove valuable to your browsing time :D

14. sergiomajluf

argggg, Amazon lost some of my parts, including my bridge pickup and frets.

They replaced the order for me but without the vintage broadcaster :(

But then again, that's an opportunity to ask for your opinion and recommendations: what would be a great bridge pickup for a Thinline?

15. sergiomajluf

Parts on their way, again

With my components already delivered to my US address, I'm now waiting for them to get down here. That'll be by the end of november, so I have a couple of weeks to finish the neck 3D file.

Some ideas I’m evaluating:

1. maple sandwich, flat top
    2. maple sandwich, carved top
    3. paquio body and top, either carved or flat

In all of them, I’m also tempted to do a longitudinal sandwich.
    This are some images showing the ideas.

1-jatoba-thinline2-maple-center.jpg

2-jatoba-thinline2-binding.jpg

3-jatoba-thinline-maple.jpg

5-jatoba-thinline2-maple-center-2.jpg

So far, I'm leaning towards the last one, with a stained and carved top, and also contour binding. Not sure about the double f cutout though.

16. sergiomajluf

View attachment 308863 View attachment 308864 View attachment 308865

Did a test run on MDF.

I didn't cut through the body on purpose, so I could test my ability to turn it over and cut from the back, aligning everything with 4 dowels. That's what I plan for the neck process, so we'll see...

In this model I also cut a side channel for the binding. It turned out really nice, but I guess I should do that on the top and not the back body blank.

As you see the bridge pickup route is wrong, which I'll have to double check because I just used the "go fishing" template file available here. Also I'll be using a P90 in the neck so have to adjust for that.

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Nice project , but can't see your pics from your last post

18. sergiomajluf

Images are up

I guess posting from the mobile app doesn't quite work.
    Here are some images, and some more.
    01-cnc-enroute.jpg

02-cnc-controller.jpg

03-cnc-first-pass-mdf.jpg

04-cnc-half-way.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    nickhofen likes this.
  19. sergiomajluf

05-cnc-almost-there.jpg

06-binding-channel.jpg

07-mdf-cnc-result.jpg

I'm also uploading a video, but that will take a few more minutes.
    Comments over the process and the video will come soon

nickhofen likes this.
  20. sergiomajluf

I've started a few separate threads on some of the details for the design and production of this CNC Thinline.

But to keep up with the documentation here, I'll keep adding pictures of the process, wins and failures.

At one point I thought of making a carved top. This is the 3D design for the top:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1452631582.285567.jpg

And out of the CNC
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1452631697.845352.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1452631835.161808.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1452631858.824398.jpg

If this work out I would later cut the neck pocket, pu rout and f-hole

nickhofen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.