1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there really no butterscotch blackguard nitro tele with modern features?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rich2k4, Oct 21, 2015.

1. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

When I got my Tele I had a '52 and a '52 Hot Rod for me to choose from. While I preferred the minihumbucker on the neck, it was the neck that really put the Hot Rod over the top for me.

I wouldn't expect the necks to be so expensive. I got my Hot Rod only a few months ago and guitar and case only cost me $1,050.00. Also I'm sure other folk got it for even less than I did.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, and to be honest I know I've done it myself, especially back when I only owned one guitar.

Nowadays I have guitars and amps in at least 3 rooms of my house (and a very tolerant wife!) and it's more satisfying when I plug in - even if I have headphones on so as not to disturb the peace.

Whatever makes you happy is fine with me.

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I got my Hot Rod neck off eBay (I'm pretty sure it was from the "Stratosphere") and at the time it was the only way I knew to get just an O.E.M. factory neck without the body.

It's sort of like "you pay what they are asking or you don't get it". I'm sure I could have had a cheaper neck made from aftermarket but I wanted it to stay "all-Fender", so that was my choice.

I just checked eBay and recent Hot Rod Tele necks are still selling for around $700, so there's that...

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I noodle around unplugged late at night but that's not a consideration when picking up a guitar. Headphones are out of the question.. any extended wearing of head phones and my ears ring for days. Lately I've been keeping my FSR 72 Thinline out for this but normally my Road Worn guitars are scattered about.

5. KevinB

Mostly I use headphones if I plug in my PBass. In my home office where I usually keep it there are metal filing cabinets and other equipment that rattles like crazy on the lower notes even at moderate volumes. :eek:

6. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

OK, so what are my options? What do I have to do or where can I go for someone to build or put together what I am looking for?

The neck on my 8502 is the most ideal, but I fear I would lose money parting it out.

Then its a matter of finding the right body. I think I can compromise on using a Callahan compensated bridge as I think the bridge on the hot rod I had contributed to that wiry spanky tone. I don't get that with the 8502.

I am open to getting an aftermarket neck, but if I can't get it to say Fender, I prefer it says nothing at all and is blank. My fear with this option would be that it would still need fret work, nut work, which would increase the cost.

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Thanks. This just confirms my thoughts that I got a good deal on my Hot Rod . Well at least not a bad deal.

I really do love the neck

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

8. KevinB

Swapping out the body for a blonde one would be the simplest and easiest option.

Go to Warmoth (see my earlier link), or go to The Straosphere where you will find blonde Tele bodies from $230 (for an Allparts) all the way up to $800 (if you really must have nitro). Fender will even sell you one (an American Special in blonde) from their website for $400.

Get a body that takes a vintage, 4 screw bridge and that will give you dozens of options for a plate. There's really not much wrong with the $13 Fender vintage bridge plate (especially with decent compensated saddles) but there are others from Wilkinson, Joe Barden, Kluson, etc.

Reassembling is really quite easy. Ask here if you need help or run into any issues.

Finally, sell the 8502 body and bridge on eBay for maybe $250 or so to recoup most of your outlay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.