1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there really no butterscotch blackguard nitro tele with modern features?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rich2k4, Oct 21, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

There is something about the American deluxe fenders that I don't like. I used to own an American deluxe strat and could never bond with it. I also don't like the s1 switching. If I got an American deluxe ash, I would have to spend more money rewiring it to completely remove the s1 stuff. I want a bare bones tele that looks like a blackguard and has the features I mentioned. I'd even be willing to compromise on the nitro. It is crazy that fender doesn't offer a guitar like this. To offer the butterscotch color on the American deluxe, but not the American standard is dumb. The butterscotch blond color is about as standard as you can get.

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

First off, how solid bodied electric guitars sound unplugged has absolutely no bearing on how they sound plugged in. And again, Fender nitro finished guitars are sealed in poly first which totally negates any "wood breathing" argument.

I have nitro finished guitars (they do have a different feel to them), polyester and polyurethane finished guitars. I'm not a fan of thick finishes - but for a few years now Fender's poly finishes have been quite thin - but I certainly can't discern any tonal differences that I can attribute to the finish.

3. KevinB

Aren't you describing an American Special? Other than the fact that it's alder and not ash, it has just about everything you want: blonde finish, black guard, modern tuners, 22 frets, 9 1/2" radius. Put compensated saddles on it (or change the bridge to a 6-saddle modern Gotoh) and if you don't like the Texas Specials, put a set of Fender OVs in there.

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I may be wrong but don't think the ASH Verizon has an S1, even if it does they are pretty solid and not prone to breakage like earlier versions. It's easy enough to replace.. I'd never not buy a guitar because of S1..

What your looking for isn't really out of line but if you're looking for an off the shelf guitar and you have specific wants you'll have to compromise or do some upgrading. Things like tuners, bridge are easy enough to change..

I imagine Fender isn't offering a BSB American Standard because they want you to spend more money.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...well yeah, spending more money is always a desirable outcome for a seller, but really, most folks that like the BSB look also appreciate the 3-saddle and other more traditional/historical attributes of the telecaster/broadcaster/nocaster esthetic; and I don't really see Fender tooling up to try to sell a mixed bag of old style/new style. Just my 2 cents though.

but the good part is that all the stuff is interchangeable - several ways to get where the OP wants to go, but probably won't find it on the shelf. Plenty of Baja bodies out there (swap bridge for what the OP wants) that could be mated with a James Burton standard neck (has the truss rod location) - then just swap the tuners and bob's your uncle. Just a bridge and tuner swap, as many have already mentioned.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Actually, that's the whole point to entire lines of Fender guitars like the Hot Rod, Modern Players, Pawn Shop and Classic Vibe series. But I think when they get up to the more expensive options, like nitro, the buyers are more conservative.

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Fullerplast aside, while I agree with you that the acoustic qualities of an electric guitar has no bearing on how it will sound when plugged in, I'm sure I'm not the only Tele player who often plays their guitar unplugged. For me anyway, and by the sound of it Rich as well, how my guitar sounds acoustically is just as important as it sounds plugged in.

As far as my Tele goes, it's a '52 Hot Rod with the "thin-skin nitro" top coat. While there are many, many, many factors that contribute how a guitar sounds, my Hot Rod is most definitely the most booming (unplugged) Tele I've ever owned. My comparisons are from an early and late 90's Tele Standards, and a Squire (with the old Rolling Rock logo). Perhaps (and quite likely) it's the vintage bridge, perhaps it's the nut, perhaps it's the ash body vs. whatever woods were used on my other Teles, but after playing my '52 Hot Rod I know those are the specs, including the finish, that I will be looking for if I'm to replace my Tele.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...all true Big Daddy - but I was just considering the BSB looking objects. I don't think the Modern Players or the Pawn Shop group has anything that looks like a BSB tele (as far as I know) - so that would include only the Hot Rod and Classic Vibe groups, which (again, as far as I know, which ain't all that far...) all have the 3-saddle bridge, "vintage" style tuners and such that the OP does not care for - although I'm probably missing something here...

9. KevinB

Well I guess that would make two of you. :eek: If I want to play acoustically, I grab...an acoustic.

Seriously, I'm happy for you that you found a Tele you obviously like so much. As I stated before I have nitro and poly finished Teles and I like them all. My favourite for tone is a '73 Custom with Fender's "thick skin" poly finish. It's a fairly heavy guitar and while I'm not crazy about the finish, the tone through my little '68 BFVC is everything I could ever want in a Tele.

10. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

So I guess the answer to my question is that I can't get what I want unless I piece it together. I currently have an 8502 tele. I could take the neck from that and buy a butterscotch body. But I'm worried for some reason it won't sound right, or a modern neck won't fit on a vintage reissue body.

This search for my perfect blackguard tele is going to be a major pain in the ass. I don't want to have to lose any more money then I feel I already have.

I bought the 8502 for no other reason than the rarity of it. I don't like having more than 1 of the same type of guitar, so if I'm only going to have 1 telecaster, it has to be butterscotch blonde, end of story.

It's been a frustrating process because of my own dumb decisions. Makes it even harder since I can't really get what I want easily. I can sell the 8502 and continue the search. Or I can disassemble it, keep the neck and try to find a good body, which is always a risk not knowing what you are going to end up with when you assemble it. I'd also be losing a lot more money.

11. Sky King

Sky King Tele-Meister

I Found One

Well I just found one yesterday! See my "INCOMING - 50's Hot Rod Tele" thread.
    I didn't think it existed either but here it is.
    Butterscotch, Nitro, Black guard (bakelite), Compound Radius Neck , Medium Jumbo frets,
    staggered brass saddles on a vintage 3-Barrel bridge, 4 way switching (it adds series and parallel)

I couldn't have custom ordered one any better

Attached Files:

12. KevinB

The neck to body fit really shouldn't be an issue. I mean 99% of the time you will be just fine and in the worst case scenario, a little sanding should fix it. How it will sound of course is unpredictable.

8502s are/were highly regarded Teles. Mark Jenny would set you up with an excellent finished body for $375. He specializes in aged finishes but will also do "closet clean". His work is exceptional. Of course, there is also Warmoth (who have a couple of blonde Tele bodies on their website right now, and USA Custom Guitars.

You could probably recoup most of that cost by selling the 8502 body (I assume yours is sunburst?) on eBay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That's basically what I did...

I have a 2003 Fender AVRI '52 Tele with a 2011 Fender AVRI '52 Hot Rod neck:

52 a.jpg

Of course that was a few years ago, when Hot Rod necks were a dime a dozen (ok, more like $750 each)! My point is that they're getting harder to come by these days it seems.

Of course it has vintage tuners and truss rod adjustment location (neither of which bothers me).

Anyway, I'm very happy with the one I got.

`

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  14. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

OP has a serious case of III (internet induced indisposition). Before the internet and before the explosion of models you bought what was in the store and were happy, and if you weren't you hacked up the guitar until it was unrecognizable. It is well documented that when there is a profusion of choices people are more unhappy. It is impossible to make a guitar that exactly matches every player's ideal specs--if we're not going to be miserable we need to learn to compromise--kind of like marriage. I'd suggest the OP list his desired features in order of decreasing importance, taking into consideration how easy modifications would be, and then try to get close. And FWIW--the heel truss rod is best because it keeps people from fiddling with them so much. If Bill Kirchen can play a guitar that doesn't even have one the rest of us can learn something.

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I have a newish AV52 and it's nitro finish. And it does sound good unplugged—one of the things I love about it is that if it's quiet around here, I can practice unplugged and hear every note clear as a bell.

But honestly, I think that comes from the fact that it has a U-shaped neck, and there's just more wood. I'm convinced it has absolutely nothing to do with the nitro finish. Don't believe the marketing hype—I'm talking about ad copy that describes the nitro letting the wood "breathe" and creating a supposedly superior acoustic quality. The nitro finish is only a pleasing cosmetic thing, and as others have pointed out, it's sealed in poly before the nitro coat goes on anyway.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure that you're on point with this. Another angle that I've come up with is that my nitro finished guitars are in general top shelf guitars which means lighter bodies and better construction, better hardware, better setup.

17. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

IF, you could get past the headstock/logo thing, a USA G&L ASAT Classic Alnico Rustic series is exactly what you want. Nitro, check. 22 fret 9.5" radius modern tuners headstock adjustable truss rod 6 saddle bridge check check check.

18. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

"There is something about the American deluxe fenders that I don't like. I used to own an American deluxe strat and could never bond with it".
    Ricc2k4, I think the key word here is Strat. I too can't bond with my Strat. It's an American Special. IMO...it doesn't matter whether it's a Deluxe, Amer. Special or MIM.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Ok, so slightly wrong. BUT, I'm certain G&L would put a 9.5" radius neck and Alnico pickups on a Nitro body, they will do whatever you want.

Seems this would be closest to your wish list. Otherwise, just get a custom build. I would do that anyway. Probably no more costly than if G&L or Fender custom shop did it. Lots of awesome tele builders out there.

20. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

That's three of us now Kevin.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.