1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there really no butterscotch blackguard nitro tele with modern features?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rich2k4, Oct 21, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I used to own a 52' hot rod RI. It was fine for the most part but I sold it for 3 reasons. I hated the vintage tuners, I hated that the truss rod adjustment wasn't at the headstock, and I wanted a 6 saddle bridge instead of 3.

I loved the color and tone, the vintage tinted neck. I want the same thing, but with modern features. 22 fret neck,9.5 radius, truss rod at the headstock, modern tuners.

I can leave ve with a 3 saddle bridge as long as it is compensated.

Here is the problem, I want ito say fender on the headstock. I can't get passed teles or starts that have the wrong headstock shape and brand, that's just me.

I'm afraid what I want doesn't exist.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Modern tuners would have been a $50 upgrade at most after you sold the vintage tuners on Ebay or Reverb.

Truss rod adjustment at neck heel would be a non-issue once you got it set up.

$15 would have gotten you compensated Wilkinson saddles that you could live with.

I think you made the wrond decision selling that '52 RI.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm imagining a BSB nitro Tele with:

* locking tuners
    * SS frets
    * compound neck radius
    * noiseless pickups
    * active electronics
    * 6 saddle bridge
    * contour body cuts

I can almost see it ... wait ... ??!!!

[​IMG]

4. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

Deluxe Ash Tele

5. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Except it's not nitro finished.

The 52 Hot Rod, at least the later versions, has almost all of the modern features other than the tuners and the truss rod at the heel. I actually like the vintage style tuners and how many times do you touch the truss rod? Maybe because I'm in California where there's only one season and low humidity, I don't have to touch it very often compared to other climates. The other items on the OP's wish list like pickups are an easy change. The stainless steel frets, however, aren't going to be standard on any Fenders.

6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Hm, you could either get a modern tele (like the american standard or deluxe or special) and refinish with nitro or get a custom build – if it has to say fender on the headstock that means either custom shop / custom built ($$$) or a fake decal on something your favorite luthier can do.
    But I wonder why you must have nitro if it is basically a modern guitar you want. Nitro is not modern so why the hassle? The deluxe ash and the special (you could add a gotoh bridge) are available in blond.

7. BigDaddyLH

[​IMG]

8. hellhound94

hellhound94 TDPRI Member

Love that picture!

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Isn't that what Fender's custom shop is for? If you have such specific requirements, I'm guessing that they could build it. It's only money, right?

10. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

I didn't see anywhere that the OP is asking for nitro?

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

11. BigDaddyLH

Right in the title!

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's in the heading of his post.
    Big Daddy beat me to it.

13. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Duhhhhh

I's be a big ole dummy

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

That's alright, I deserve it

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

15. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I want a 50's blackguard Road Worn with 9.5" radius fat neck and a nickel covered bucker in the neck. Maybe a 5 saddle modern brass bridge and a banjo tuner too ;)

16. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

OP

You can always buy another '52 vintage reissue and then buy a modern neck from The Stratosphere or wherever. Or you can buy the body from them too.

Short of Custom Shop I don't know where else you can get a nitro finished body besides from the reissue line.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

17. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

The reason why I want nitro is because it makes the guitar sound more open and lively, both unplugged and plugged in. I have an American series tele that is poly and it doesn't sound like that at all. The tone is fatter, but it doesn't have that "krang", even on the bridge pickup. I have narrowed down that the nitro finish is what gives that tone, as all other nitro finished guitars I have played have it.

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

You're kidding me, right? You do know what is under the nitro top and colour coats of a Fender, right? A nice thick sealer coat of poly.

Google "Fullerplast".

The difference you are hearing is much more likely to be due to the higher output Texas Special pickups.

19. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

Then why do all the nitro teles I have played sound more " acoustic" for lack of a better term? Strum a nitro guitar unplugged and then strum a poly guitar. Huge difference. The poly is barely audible. I feel that transfers to the plugged in tone, as the nitro teles had a more bright, wiry, metallic tone. Hard to explain in words.

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think op has read to many articles by guitar experts.. The Ash Deluxe is everything he wants if someone could convince him that Nitro/Poly debate is a hoax. The 50s hot rod ticks most boxes including locking tuners & compensated bridge.. The compound neck is killer and if vintage truss rod irks him Stew Mac has the tool that'll squeeze in there without pulling the neck. Or he can get another 52 Hot Rod and learn how to string up the vintage tuners.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.