Is there one do-it-all amp?

markal

Tele-Afflicted
For me, one is not enough, and I’m not even in a band or gigging right now. I like variety. I have two amps, but one is a blues cube and I have two tone capsules for it, so kinda like two additional amps.

That said, you could use a good modeler, or a Fender of your liking with a marshall-in-a-box pedal.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Hard to beat the Super Champ XD if budget is a concern. For more $, I'd get the new Quilter Mach 3.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
All I care about is stage volume, I let the mic'ed cab do the rest. With the right PA, I could play the Enormodome with my 15W amps.
A logical approach until you get that gig with no soundman or elaborate house PA or have to haul butt from one gig to the next asap. In my experience on the club scene an elaborate PA is unnecessary for most venues. Just played a show like that last night. Bunch of unneeded stuff junking up the stage, overkill p.a for a club under dB restrictions. Many years ago I used to do this rum-dumb $350 a night gig. Guitar amp, bass amp, unmic'ed drums and a couple 15" with horns for vox. Fairly small venue. I'd see other bands bring stacks of P.A gear, mic everything, pay a soundman more than the band members made, smoke machines, lights, etc. Heckuva load-in load-out in sub freezing weather for the same dough. I guess cocaine helped. Everyone has their own approach though....

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Vox AC30. Used by everyone from Brian May to The Edge to Brad Paisley.

If you aren't into carrying a 70+ lb amp around, 5e3.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
A logical approach until you get that gig with no soundman or elaborate house PA or have to haul butt from one gig to the next asap. In my experience on the club scene an elaborate PA is unnecessary for most venues. Just played a show like that last night. Bunch of unneeded stuff junking up the stage, overkill p.a for a club under dB restrictions. Many years ago I used to do this rum-dumb $350 a night gig. Guitar amp, bass amp, unmic'ed drums and a couple 15" with horns for vox. Fairly small venue. I'd see other bands bring stacks of P.A gear, mic everything, pay a soundman more than the band members made, smoke machines, lights, etc. Heckuva load-in load-out in sub freezing weather for the same dough. I guess cocaine helped. Everyone has their own approach though....
We use our own PA, just about anywhere we play.

Neptical

TDPRI Member
It took me a long time, but I'm finding out that using a clean pedal platform ( have 4 Fender combos) with ODs, Distortion and Modulation pedals gets me about as do it all as I could want. Not to take away from my amp and cabs, but there's something to be said for being able to customize your tones from ground up.