1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there even anything i can do?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamkavanagh, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

When I was younger and dumber I chased a club owner through his club and out into the parking lot with a baseball bat to get paid for a gig. It's God's grace I didn't end up in jail. Walk away and spread the word to everyone you can find.

2. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Why not get up on stage next time, when the place is packed and announce that you won`t be playing until you get paid...let the patrons know whats happening...I had a situation here with an owner who was supposed to pay me on a Wednesday, they asked me if I could wait till the Friday of that week...which came around and the secretary told me the owner wasn`t there and had not taken money out of the bank...so I went back to the class I was teaching and told everyone present I don`t do volunteer work, made sure the students heard what was going on and as I was walking down the stairs to leave with a classroom full of students...I saw the owner backing out the front door of the building, he didn`t know I saw him, so I repeated no pay no work...surprise surprise the secretary said the money was there after all so I went back...cheeky bugger had tried it once before only he did pay me on the Friday, guess he figured I`d be a pushover...point is, if you let the customers know whats going on, tell everyone the band will be playing at another place and would really love to have them come down there to hear you guys...hit the cheapskate bar owner in the pocket book...see what happens. As others have said, sounds to me like you can kiss the money they owe you good bye so at least save some face and not let the bar owner play you for a fool. Sadly the world is full of creeps...chalk it up but I have to add...I would have taken action well before being owed that kind of scratch...I hope it works out for you and the owner has a change of heart, but I wouldn`t bet the farm.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm sorry that, in asking for help in this thread, you got a lot of criticism for not dealing with it earlier. That's not really for me to say, as I don't don't know the whole story, what happened in the past, and your comfort level for conflict. As far as I am concerned, you got screwed through no fault of your own. Also, I don't think you should burn any bridges just for the sake of principle or making a statement. Just play it straight and don't inject any more bad vibes than necessary into the situation on your end. The minute someone sees you acting over the top, the more justified they might feel in doing anything against you.

4. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Thanks Larry
    I think you have the right idea. The issue isn't weather ill get paid or not, it's an issue regarding respect and timely payment.
    You are completely right. I would love to walk 3 blocks and confront the owners or even refuse to play or even announce to the audience that I'm waiting on payment but do people here really think that the audience gives a shight?
    That's just an easy way to get fired!
    I finally got paid all but one cheque.
    [​IMG]
    A few of you may have seen this already

Like I said, I always get paid but in a very unfair way.

5. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Glad to hear things are going better for that gig you were telling us about!

6. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear you're starting to get paid; that's a real drag being treated that way. I'm not a musician, but I work for a small business and I've noticed that the more money our client has the longer it takes for us to get paid for work. Some of them issued "memos" to all their vendors last year via email that they will not be paying for 120 days (used to be 60 days.) It sucks. What are we gonna do? Take them to court and lose hundreds of thousands in contract work? They know they can get away with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.