1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there even anything i can do?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamkavanagh, Dec 24, 2012.

1. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

A bar that I play at weekly and one weekend a moth owes me 4 grand now and has been promising me money for a month now

It's Xmas eve and they really promised this time

It's the third time I've driven downtown to pick up my cheques and they just feed me the same bull**** " the owners haven't signed the cheques"

Am I just a sucker or are there different rules for entertainment?

They always pay me but sometimes it can take almost a year to completely pay me.

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Four grand? How many times did you play there?

I don't know anyone who plays a bar and doesn't get paid at the end of the night, and usually in cash. Bars are cash businesses and they always have plenty on hand.

It would be worth your time to stop in at the local police/sheriff/mounties/whatever has jurisdiction. Maybe at the very least you can get your constabulary to pay a visit, sometimes that shakes them up enough to make good.

If you have a written contract, you can get a lawyer to write a threatening letter, but it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks.

3. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Nothing personal, but YES you are a sucker. If you are owed the money legally (meaning you are on the books)...then contact your local labor department. What they are doing is illegal. The labor dept. will help you without paying a lawyer, though i wouldn't hesitate to get a lawyer to write a letter either. If you work for cash and don't pay taxes, basically you are out of luck. All you can do is ask, and/or threaten. The first thing you should do is stop working for them so they don't owe you any more. Good luck.

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My dad told me when I first got a job, other than working for him, "The first time a pay-day comes and goes without you getting money that is due you - walk away."

That's not always possible to do... but in your case... $4000? Dude.. they are taking advantage of you. Walk away. If you can get a message to the owner, tell him that you're going to show up tonight with all of your gear, and you'll stay seating in your vehicle in the parking lot, with all your gear, until you get your back pay in full. He'll try to call your bluff, but just do it. He'll probably offer you a smaller portion of the total, just to get you to come in, but it's time to swing the pendulum of power back over to your side here.

The caveat here is... if you can afford to totally lose this gig. If you depend on this gig, you may just have to play ball.

But then again... how could you really be dependent on a gig that doesn't pay you in due time?

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the world of club work. I guess we've all had that experience before, or at least I know I have, but you have to ask yourself why you keep doing business with them if they're slow pay. Once a club does that to me they're are either on the COD list or off the list entirely.

From my experience these types offer more money that other places but then never pay it or pay it in installments out of next weeks take and the only way you ever get caught up is by cash in advance or you stop playing the club. If that arrangement is OK with you fine but since I paid my guys out the night of the gig it wasn't with me.

I hope you do get paid but I wouldn't count on it. If there was money in the bank to cover the check the owners should have no trouble signing it but there isn't that's obvious and bouncing a check will get them in legal trouble. Merry Christmas and maybe make a New Years resolution to find another place to play.

Cheers.

6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I get paid in cash before I leave,or I don't leave. For 4k I'd be camped on his doorstep.

I hope you get sorted,but the bigger the amount owed gets,the less likely you are to see any of it.

7. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. I felt that way too until I got a steady house band gig from this bar.
    I went almost 10 years refusing to leave a bar unless they paid me night of.

We play every Wednesday night. 3X 30 min sets and we're done by 1230 am. Plus we play a weekend slot every month and that means we can leave our gear set up for Wednesday, the weekend, and the next Wednesday. Thursdays are almost always acoustic somewhere else.

We get 500$ for that. On a Wednesday, a night that I would have a really hard time getting decent gigs, waiting for pay is kind of the better choice.

I feel like.. If I fought them to get paid on time, I would simply lose the gig. The owners dont gibe a ****, they would rather be right than anything else. When I posted this, I was downtown, sitting at the bar heartbroken because I didn't have my money in time for Xmas.

I had a long talk one time with a friend of mine and they said this: ' you can do one of two things. 1 - quit and feel vindicated. Or 2 - expect a delay in pay, suck it up and USE them for their money. Play easy gigs and get paid when you get paid.'

8. teleman65

teleman65 Tele-Holic

You are getting played.
    Time to walk away.
    Make sure to let you musician friends know the venue.
    Bar owners love free entertainment. Why would they pay when you continue to play?

9. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Your friend is assuming you will get paid and that after this much time their accounting will match yours. I wouldn't be so certain, so I'll add a third thing. Tell the owners you like playing there but can't justify and won't again until you've been paid what you're owed. You're being taken advantage of, and it's unfair to you and the rest of the band.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Its a job or a hobby, your call. If its a job and a living then get paid. Force the issue. If their belief is payment in 60 days then either agree to that and put it in writing or walk. The choice is not their's if and when you get paid. If you let them, they will always decide the liquor or the rent comes before you. Right now, you're financing his business not yours.

11. 20721

20721 Former Member

FOUR GRAND?

Good God, I gotta ask what are you thinking? I get paid at the end of the performance, right then, cash on the barrelhead and no I do not take checks, not now not ever. And I MAKE SURE that is understood before I even put the date on my calendar, because I'm the guy who's got to pay my bandmates whether I get paid or not.

Yes, no.

Your friend is dead wrong. You've lost four grand already. If you want to lose more keep playing for free. Cut your losses and consider this a lesson that easy money is never truly easy.

I'm outraged and horrified at your poor judgment but I'm also truly sorry and I'm not going to say "you deserve this" or anything like that. I'm sorry, and sorrier still that this is happening to you over Christmas. Best of luck.

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Talk to the boss. Tell him that you want to be paid each gig night or at least once a week and you want to be paid double until he has paid back all the due amount. Then make it pay or no play.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The problem I see with this is that we disagree on the terminology involved here. You refer to it as a $500 paid gig and I see it as a $500 interest free loan of your services made for an indefinite period of time without interest and with no guarantees of ever getting repaid that loan you're making to them.

I wouldn't put up with it and I don't know of many bands who would which is probably why you're getting the gig. You will put up with it. Sorry I can't help you beyond what I already posted. If you're happy with that arrangement keep the gig.

14. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

You could run up a 4 grand bar tab and you'll be even.

15. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

I only got stiffed one time in all the years I played, and it was with a check for $500 for one night's performance. I went to their bank the next morning; they laughed at me. I went across the street and turned it over to the prosecuter's office. $500 made it a felony and I had my money real quick; the jackass didn't want to go to court over a lousy $500.

I had a rule that served me well; when I was done playing I either wanted to see cash in my hand before I left or I wanted a check in my hand before I left. I always got a "bad feeling" from checks, but only had that one incident.

I'm sorry for your experience...but $4000..and you kept going back on a "maybe/promise/check's in the mail/we'll pay you next week.....??????:eek:

16. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Here's what you do. You contact the local news channels. They usually have a reporter that deals with scams/dishonest employers/shoddy business practices etc. Tell them your story. A struggling musician is owed money he was depending on for Christmas. They run the story and bar probably pays you and keeps you on board to save face. Or you can just tell the bar owner the news are interested in your story and you're very tempted to let them run it.

17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

"The checks aren't signed."
    "OK, give me the unsugned checks."
    "Ummm..."

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

time to lawyer up!

19. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Brad, your sig file is strangely apropos! ;)

20. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah -I'd say unlimited bar tab for a year? I would at least have them pay you something ($1,000?) or walk away

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.