Is there anything about picks that hasn't been said?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Jul 1, 2019.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe...
    Just for a goof, when the price of picks went to a quarter, I made some out of quarters.
    I like really thin picks, but all that flapping is unacceptable.
    So, rather than grinding the quarter, I hammered it and drew about half of it down to a point, then filed and buffed.
    It was pretty good, but still quite thick where you grip it...and heavy.
    Somebody recently gave me a copper pick, and I really like it.
    I made my own from a piece of plumbing, and I'm using it exclusively.
    Thin, great attack, a little warmer than the quarter; and SUPER CHEAP!
    For whatever reason, the tone is most similar to my picks made from a certain sea animal that I won't mention (I promise it's pre-ban); which is a very good thing.
    I suppose I could get a lifetime supply from 3' of 1" pipe!
    This was a quickie, eyeballed prototype...the next ones will be nicer.
    I suppose I'll get it to about 15 minutes/pick.
    copper pick.JPG

DonM, drlucky, nojazzhere and 4 others like this.
  2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I think every guitar topic has been exhausted here. But I’m still interested to read everyone’s post.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    ponce and ftbtx like this.
  3. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha....

Oh boy....I remember needing to use those those "flapping" thin picks for a year or so back in the early 70's.
    Well...because I sucked and had no control of my playing.
    I do tend to think that some songs, depending on genre and the acoustic being played that thin picks may still be applicable for someone.

To answer your post title: I've been using Fender Mediums since forever....I'm sure no one has ever said that about pick usage/preference. :)

Back to it....

DonM, Mike SS, Moriarty and 2 others like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I exclusively use thumb picks these days but am still extremely interested. Can you go through steps and tools you used to make that in case anyone else would want to try?
    That’s made from 1” copper pipe?

nojazzhere and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

My favourite pick is made from a 1967 British copper penny. I have more picks than I know what to do with but I always gravitate back to this one. I bought a pick punch some years before I got this one as I was always losing my picks. I've found that once you do that and can always have a pick with you you stop losing them. Odd how that seems to work. Your pick looks pretty good!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, except ......
    I still change what I use/prefer every few years.
    It’s weird.
    I’ve used a number of different sizes, thicknesses and materials.
    Why do I do that?
    I’m a working player.
    I’m not a vituoso.
    I have opinions, but no rules.
    Oh well, live and learn, hopefully.

drlucky and nojazzhere like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Isn't there video somewhere of someone setting a Fender celluloid pick on fire?

8. Fretting out

Have you ever done this ? I guess celluloid is very flammable. I used to do that when I was younger once in a while when they wear out . Found out by accident that They sparkle and smoke like a sparkler mixed with a snake if you light them.
    There’s a scene in an old war movie where they use a bunch of ping pong balls ground up and lit as a smoke screen. Guess it’s the same celluloid/cellulose composition

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a ridiculous number of exotic picks, most of them a lot more expensive than many people think is reasonable. Over the years as I've collected them, I've rotated them through the guitars I own, usually changing the pick matched with any given guitar after some interval between a couple weeks and a couple months.

I've developed a preference for two or three brands above the others, though I still enjoy changing thicknesses and shapes. And lately I've started to pair particular picks with particular guitars, and I'm reluctant to change them. That started when I bought my Takamine '05 LTD two years ago; it's had the same Blue Chip TD40 parked in its strings when it's on the hanger ever since it arrived. Now the Billy Gibbons signature V-Pick has been with my homebuilt esquire for quite some time, and it's starting to feel like they belong together. And my new Red Bear Li'l Picker, L thickness in "Rusty Turquoise", is feeling awfully comfortable with Ol' Simple, not to mention looking very handsome, and I think I might keep them together a while.

Still, while I understand why other people do it, I can't see myself ever choosing any one pick style--especially not an over-the-counter one, and especially not because it's cheap--and then using it all the time with all my guitars. Ugh.

I do think maybe I can stop now, buying new picks, especially the ones outside my two or three preferred boutique brands (Red Bear, Blue Chip, V-Pick). I'm definitely not going to buy many more guitars, and I have plenty great picks to cover it, if I'm going to match each guitar up with a pick permanently.

collection.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    DonM, Sounds Good, Tele295 and 2 others like this.
  10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

They're great for squeezing out blackheads.

ponce, drlucky and Toast like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Since my wife dabbles with guitars even though she is a bass player, we have picks everywhere. She uses those Fender tort mediums. Who can possibly keep a grip on those slippery devils?

13. Fretting out

I assumed most people found 1 or 2 picks they like and stuck with em that’s an impressive variety. I guess the two things with the least thought put into em are picks and cables but both can have a marked impact on sound

W.L.Weller and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

Kinda like making a point here , so I'll just say use yo fanger ;)

15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to find picks made out of sliced unicorn horns but haven't had any luck. In the meantime I like V-Picks.

Toast and Fretting out like this.
  16. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

MOSHAY picks for me. Quite a story behind. Just get me to the sound I wanted. Still hand made.
    45180177-BDCA-4450-A97D-48324FBEBE7C.jpeg

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

PM me. I'll hook you up.

downloadfile-1.jpg

HotRodSteve likes this.
  18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Turns out my favorite pics of all are the white ones that come gratis, thrown in the carton when I order strings from juststrings.com.

They're between medium and thin, feel just right. For once, cheap and functional coincide.

P Thought likes this.
  19. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like Fender Mediums also. I drill a hole though them for better grip. I prefer the Black Moto ones but they can be hard to find here.

20. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

After playing forty-nine years I've got lots of picks. Like others, I remember the lean years when I always found myself down to one and it was never with me. These days I keep a collection both at home and at the studio and don't seem to be able to loose one.

I do a fair chunk of studio work. I can tell you that there is a use for practically every type, from the stiff, three layer Pickboys Metacarbonate (fast lead) to the translucent, ultra-thin, flappy Wabash from the 1970s (acoustic rhythm with light pick scrape).

Bob

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.