1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there anyone who didn’t like the 52 AVRI Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ooba Tooba, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Had one for a little over a week back in 2012. Got it at GC in Houston, TX but exchanged it for a 64 AVRI which I still have. Can't say I didn't like it but the 64 AVRI, which came in a couple of days later, just fit my fancy more-so than the 52AVRI and had a sound closer to a vintage 64 than the 52 had to a vintage 52 AVRI.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have had 2. They were both great guitars, but the list of guitars I would buy without playing is soooooo short.

‘65 SG Special - that’s it.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  3. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

I played an elite today. It was just ok. Pretty, but too much gloss on the neck. I also played another Am Pro like the one I had for a spell. I really do like those but not the pickups so much (Bridge was ok but neck was sort of lifeless) I also played 2 Gibson Les Paul Classics, one being a Goldtop. I love the HBs, I really do. If I had my druthers I’d get the Goldtop, get another Am Pro, and also get the Fender Parallel Universe Troublemaker :D

4. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Oh, and swap the Am Pro pup out. ^

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I agree 100%, I hated the neck thought it sounded great.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Me. The one I played in Denmark St had a very glossy finish that looked too much like Poly and I couldn't see any Ash grain. The nut was cut well but nothing like deeply enough. The action was too high and too much relief. It was an average weight. It sounded nice enough. It seemed too ordinary. Some was just about setup and easy to fix of course.

Overall I preferred the Baja as a value for money prospect and I preferred the sound of the twisted Tele in the neck even though I hate the 4 way. I didn't buy a Baja either.

I chose a used roadworn that had been stripped of its finish in the end as my Black guard and put 51 Nocaster pickups in it. Zero regrets about that and have no desire to try another 52 reissue.

7. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

This may not be a fair statement to make because it’s a sample of 1: the fit and finish on the one example hanging in my local retailer had really bad finish detail around the neck pocket. The nut was not seated properly, no real set-up to speak of; and the overall vibe was a “Friday afternoon job” that somehow managed to slip through QC.

That said, Singapore is a small country, and maybe FMIC does not see us as a major market, thereby sending us what effectively looks like a factory second. In any case, that same retailer happily puts up guitars of another major American instrument brand which all sport some kind of obvious defect, hence why I think this is also an isolated example.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've owned a pre 2012 52AVRI and I played it for a couple years putting up with the vintage frets and 7.25 radius and smallish neck. It sounded so good with my neck. I felt that for me it sounded better than the 52 hot rod and CS Nocaster that followed it and were sold. I did end up with a CS Nocaster with 9.5 radius and 6105 frets and I really regret selling that but at the time I was getting out of electrics due to severe tinnitus. That CS Nocaster was the best sounding tele I've ever owned.
    I decided recently that I'd get another tele for limited playing every now and then. Mated with my Allen Old Flame I'm very happy with it. Its got a great sound and feels good with modern specs on the radius and frets. If I was doing serious gigging I'd probably try to find another CS Nocaster as I preferred the bigger neck. My current wildwood 52 thin skin neck is close though. Bigger than the older 52AVRI

9. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Correction: It was 2014 when I got the 52 AVRI and exchanged it for the 64 AVRI.

10. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

I hear ‘ya.
    Like they were dipped in a vat of molten plastic.
    Nitro is a much better finish.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. Tele 2K

Tele 2K Tele-Meister

I played a few, wanted to like them but I need to be able to bend the neck while playing, and the '52 neck was a little too thick to bend it the way I prefer.

Interesting that I had a couple Am. Standards (the newer ones) but returned them because the neck would bend Too easily! Felt like they were too weak.

Also interesting that my often frowned upon Modern Player Tele Plus neck is just right! I can bend it if needed, but it is strong/ stable and not too flexible.

VW

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The ones that are too caramel-colored, or taxi cab yellow, bug me. Otherwise I'm all for it.

Tell me again why they stopped making them?

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don't mind the small frets.
    I prefer a 9.5" radius, but 7.25" isn't a deal-breaker.
    Overall, I like the feel of the neck profile...but I don't like the glossy candy coating.
    I found the neck pickups uninspiring.
    The BSB finish was...overdone? (there were too many of them that same color).

Every time I played one, I thought, "If I took a scotchbrite pad and knocked the shine off this neck and replaced the neck pickup and added a 4-way switch and a No-Load Tone Pot, this would be a great guitar..."

14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Dont' like the thick plastic poli coating but most, I can't stand tiny frets

15. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I played one at a jam session back in 2000 or so, and I didn't really care for it - narrow neck, small frets, thick finish, bah. As with most guitars I would probably get used to it if I played it for a while, but if you don't bond with something right from the get-go then why go any further?

tonytrout likes this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The one I had in the early 00's, I remember buying it (at cost cause I worked at a cool dealer, hehe) thinking "in a couple years this thing is gonna look awesome!"

I played the **** out of that guitar and it looked brand new when I sold it years later, lol, that was before I learned about the finish specs etc. I remember every month I'd kind of look at the fretboard to see if it was getting broken in but just finger gunk which I wiped off every few weeks.

Sounded great though.

Still wish I ended up with an AV '52 but my AV '56 Strat will do for now.

17. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Not a fan. The radius and tiny frets kill it for me. You can spend less and get a better Tele in my humble opinion......

18. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

The vintage correct radius and frets are really off putting.

There a reason why the industry in general has moved to 9.5" to 12" radius and medium jumbo frets - they're more confortable to play and more functional.

I believe the vintage tiny frets are simply a design error, transfer from the classical guitars to the newly developed electric without thinking much about it.

19. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

That’s true. Most acoustics have those tiny little frets too. To give Leo the benefit of the doubt, at that time, nobody was able to tell what it would be used for. The more to 9.5 and 12” was a natural progression.

I love the 52 reissue but like others the radius and small frets are off putting. BUT it’s not meant to be a modern guitar. The specs are vintage correct and that’s what you’re paying for - vintage correct specs. Otherwise, there are lots of other teles you can throw in a set of original vintage telecaster pickups in to get that bell like chime and twang without the playability issues

20. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I bought one brand new sight unseen after hearing so much about the big neck. The neck on mine isn't all that thick and it's actually kinda narrow with extremely rolled edges. I like 7.25 and vintage frets, but the narrow neck and rolled edges just kill it for me. It just sits in its case now. Wish I had waited for the AO 60s to come around.

Synapse2k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.