Is there any really good reason to split a Cunife WRHB?

milocj

Friend of Leo's
I've gotten a hold of one of the new Cunife WRHB for a really good price because one coil detached from the other coil from a broken wire. Since I have to solder a new wire between the coils I'm wondering if there would be any really noticeable sound that would make it worth extending and bringing the wires out to a switch.

Are one of the coils a really good single coil sound to go to the trouble?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I've not heard of anyone doing that. Since you can, easily, give it a try and report back here.

WilburBufferson

Friend of Leo's
Not CuNiFe, but you get an idea:

I have a set of the new ones but have never had the urge to do it. A split humbucker never really does it for me, but who knows how it will sound? You might be the first to try it since the Fender Reissues are all 2-wire.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I have a set of The Creamerys' Baby Wides, his takes on FWR but downsized to fit a normal HB rout. I had those built four cable as I like to try it when both pickups are on but with just the bridge pickup at full power is a joy to behold.

TimTam

Tele-Holic
Rarely done on originals because of the (small?) risk, given their current value. I split mine circa 1980 after I bought it for $20 IIRC. Easy to do. But it hasn't been in a guitar for decades so I couldn't comment on the different sounds. No reason not to do it if yours already needs surgery. Would make it near-unique for resale.

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I've gotten a hold of one of the new Cunife WRHB for a really good price because one coil detached from the other coil from a broken wire. Since I have to solder a new wire between the coils I'm wondering if there would be any really noticeable sound that would make it worth extending and bringing the wires out to a switch.

Are one of the coils a really good single coil sound to go to the trouble?
I have never been a fan of split HBs. But I have never heard a split CuNiFe WRHB. Could be a game changer, could be a dud. I suspect when cutting to SC, the volume drop will be even MORE noticeable with a CuNiFe. Half is half, but the brain doesn't always see it that way. In terms of noise, is cutting the "loudness" of a 747 in half the same as cutting a Prius in half?

Seems to me you have little to lose at this point - give it a try and report back. Just because it is split doesn't mean you have to wire it that way.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Don't just split it, run all four wires out to control with switching.

I have an Esquire-H as my most frequently played Tele right now and both bobbins are controlled with a 4-way switch just like a regular Tele SS is controlled with a 4-way. Super versatile.

milocj

Friend of Leo's
I suppose that it can't hurt to run some extra wire length down into the control cavity since I've already had to split the wire in two and strip the ends. I'll just have to find a couple of feet of decent thin wire and see if there's an easy place to pull the existing wire through to the outside of the pickup because the bobbins aren't individually wrapped with any protective tape.

Thanks folks. The Jeep broke yesterday so I'll report back once I get a chance to fix the truck and get the pickup soldered up.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I suppose that it can't hurt to run some extra wire length down into the control cavity since I've already had to split the wire in two and strip the ends. I'll just have to find a couple of feet of decent thin wire and see if there's an easy place to pull the existing wire through to the outside of the pickup because the bobbins aren't individually wrapped with any protective tape.

Thanks folks. The Jeep broke yesterday so I'll report back once I get a chance to fix the truck and get the pickup soldered up.
Jeeps will do that... I have owned 7 IIRC.