Is there any love for Fender strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JimmieT, Mar 3, 2018.

1. JimmieT

JimmieT Tele-Meister

Every time the unavoidable "what stings do you use?" question comes up I see about every brand but Fender listed. Is there anything specific about their strings that players don't like?
    I was thinking if we all used their strings maybe guitar prices wouldn't go up as often. :rolleyes:

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious who makes Fender strings, because I'd bet they are re-branded. Then of course, I could be wrong. I'm also curious - of all the many companies that Fender owns - do they own another string brand too?

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I used Super and regular Bullets for years. I probably still would if they went back to individually packing them

4. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I think at one time it was daddario, but the fender strings i tried recently are cheap ******** compared to dadds

5. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

They are very easy to bend.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Until Fender DISCONTINUED them back in 2010, I had only used Fender pure-nickel, jazz-light, #1550's (11,15,22w,32,40,48) on my Tele. Now, I've gotta look for something else.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    grooveiron and WriteNoob like this.
  7. Telegraphy

Telegraphy TDPRI Member

I used to sell Bullets in the UK back in the day ( recommend a bit of Vaseline on the ends to stop em getting stuck in trem block )
    These days many strings are branded, so are you getting what you think ?
    There was a time in the early 90s that even Ernies started to feel & sound different, though they never told us there had been a factory change.
    Vinci used to make most string winding machines, so you can imagine their strings were pretty good too.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I been buying Gibson branded Brites for electric and the bronze acousrac strings. Cheap, great tone and can afford to change frequently as they're pretty affordable. And they can't read headstocks.

I don't see why Fender strings (which I think are D'addario) would not be good. Most people's experience of them is probably aged or blackened on store setup guitars.

9. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Used various sizes of bullet and ball 150’s for years, recently got onto 250’s because I wanted to try a wound G and 12’s. I’d have got them in 150 if they made them bigger lol. There might be better strings out there but I like them; I’ve got the whole Fender fan boy thing going on lol. Fender guitar, amplifier, cable, gig bag, tuner, picks (even though I play fingerstyle), clothes, they put their name on it; I’ll buy it :lol:.

They cost about the same as most other strings (there being obvious exceptions like these cryogenic frozen Kryponite coated in snake oil deals), so unless you’re paying for the Fender name; they’re much like any other string I guess.

I had no preference for ball or bullet, they’re the same string, just different ends. I just got whatever was in stock at the time.

I seem to remember people going through a phase of sliding cut off balls from old strings along the new strings on to the top of the bullet to achieve the same.

10. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

Finishing up my last 11-49 Fender Pure Nickel. Switching to DR Pure Blues (nickel) 11-50. Nothing wrong with the Fenders, just want to try some round wound, like the DR’s. IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG

11. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Do they have wound 'G' 3rd?

12. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

I used Fender electric guitar strings waaaay back in the early days when "light" and "super light" strings first came into being. I seem to recall that the plain strings broke too easily when you play with a lot of pitch bending.

Then I switched to Ernie Ball when they first came into the scene. They were much better.

But then the D'Addario EXLs came out, and I've never looked back since.

Every now and then I'd try a different brand and have always been disappointed. I doubt if I'd go back to Fender strings even if they've improved. I'm just too far familiar with the strings I use now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  13. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

No. They simply have a round core. Most, including the Fenders, have a hex core, to better grip the wrap wire. Round cores are supposed to feel and sound slightly different.

14. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

No, None for theirs or for Gibson's strings.. I think the phrase is "Ph(f)ukin rubbish!" is what they are.

BBill64 likes this.
  15. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

What a daft generalisation.

The daddario connection is iirc contentious, and they definitely aren't the same strings these days.

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't Fender once buy a string manufacturer named Squier? Thus they acquired the name.

Smiff likes this.
  17. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Elixir.....0.009 to 0.042....pleased with these over unfortunate pre rusting of e'cheapies

Attached Files:

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, because guitar companies deliberately choose crap strings to display their wares in the worst possible light.

The strings that come on a US made guitar - you'd concede they might be different to a Korean or Chinese Squire?

Generalisation? Re-read what you wrote. If you haven't personally tried every type of String Fender uses, well.

Pot to kettle, you are black, repeat, you are black, over.

Slowisfast likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My last few sets of Fender strings seemed to start out well, then get muddy very quickly. Other brands seemed to last longer before getting spongy. I admit, I could have just gotten a bum set or two.

But I agree - it seems very few of us are loyal to Fender strings.

20. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Used them when they used have headstocks on the pack but went to EB when they started making them in Mexico...thought they were going dead very fast....went to EB...switched back to them when I found they'd gone back to USA made. Now use them(150R pure nickle) on all my electrics...seem to suit my playing...not breaking on whole tone bends like D'Addarios do on me and not too bright like EB's...if they stay unchanged I'll be sticking with them...like the slightly ground wound effect,they hold tuning great and seem to last well....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.