Is there an online thang that can hear a song and plot out its notes/tab/chords?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Jul 16, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all.

So there's a song that's intrigued me that I figured I might pimp out my low-tech principles for and see if I can quickly get its chords/notes tabbed out. If I can plot it well, I might be able to play it at the next (wee) gig.

So is there some online e-ear program/site that can "listen" to a song and generate tabbing? It's a bit complicated in the sense that it's a five-part song, and each part has to be played exactly right for it to work at all. It's on the could-turn-mushy side of creamy, so clear tabbing is needed.

Not a big deal, as fussing it out myself would be fun. Just selfishly trying to squeeze time, if I can.

Thanks!

EDIT: Found this one--
    http://www.joshuacasper.com/free-downloads/free-chord-analyzer-for-pc/
    but not sure it works on a Mac, and don't wanna download something, even with my good virus-checkers, unless it's been kosher for others recently.

Yeah, pimping my principles, as I admitted. But in a bit of a rush....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think there is, I think it might be called Riffstation?
    I have seen adds for it on YouTube. I think some BOSS practice amps come with asoftware to do that too?

Random review I found. I don't have time to watch it so maybe its not what you want?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    bender66 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

Thanks, Chunkocaster! But it looks like Fender pulled it for the time being. The link to download it brings you to a page saying they're working on updating it.

But I'm figuring the song out okay. Capos are a wanderer's best friend! That, and trusting your ear that you're hearing an F minor, even though you never, ever think of that chord yourself. Amazing how much our own habits of thought and taste can be dam walls on learning a simple thing....

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

Yamaha Chord Tracker app may meet your needs.
    It will give chord fingering/music notation as the piece plays.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I was looking for a similar app a while ago, one that would read standard notation music and create guitar tab from it, but didn’t find anything. It’s not a straightforward problem... while it’s easy to convert a std notation note to a tab note, it’s not so easy to figure out what string to assign it to, as there are so many places to play the same note on guitar.

6. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

ScoreCloud

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I know of no product that will do what you are describing. I have a device that allows you to record about 30 seconds of a song and then play it back at slower speeds. And YouTube has the capability of playing videos at slower speeds. What is the song ? Maybe someone on this forum knows it and can tell you the chords.

I'm sure glad I learned to play guitar and various songs I liked the hard way, playing the song over and over and working it out bar by bar . In today's world of instant gratification, people just don't have the time to do their "homework".

Doctorx33 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

I hear thee! I just yawped at my oldest son today for asking his phone the time when a face clock was a foot above his head. But you know how the exceptions we make for ourselves are the okay ones....

While clicking around to pimp my time-squeeze, as soon as I let myself try an Fm, the rest of it fell into place. Working on the banjo-sounding melody notes next.

It's Chris Haugen's "Fresh Fallen Snow." Very prettily done, if one's in the mood for haunty stuff. A free-use song, too, which is mighty gracious of Mr. Haugen.

And then I found this site, which plots it out nicely--though its F chord seems a mistake for an Fm. And rather than the barre chords suggested, it plays best with a capo at the third fret using C form chords....
    https://chordu.com/chords-tabs-chris-haugen-fresh-fallen-snow-cinematic-background-music--id_k9rsgxDEgac

Never used chordu.com before.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Your ears!

Doctorx33 and magicfingers99 like this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I just type in google.search for whatever song I want ie: "I won't back down chords" usually up pops ultimate guitar with chords and lyrics that I send to my onsong app..
    Open onsong and there it is. Ready to play.....takes two minutes.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you can record it in midi..I think you can
    transcribe it to sheet music...but, you have
    to play it on midi piano or midi guitar interface.

12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Looking to do the same sort of thing. I'd like to be able to do a one-man acoustic cover of Def Leppard's "White Lightning" but my ears are certainly not good enough. Chords don't seem to exist.

13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

14. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

I don't have the premium, but this is close enough for me to work it out on some, https://chordify.net/

15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

why don't you just play a tape or mp3 of it and mime along?

i mean if a machine is good enough to figure the song out for your
    it ought to be good enough to play it instead of you, since it did all the hard work..

Doctorx33 likes this.
  17. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have Riffstation and it's supposed to do what the OP was looking for, but it was very spotty. Not surprised it's been pulled.

18. RoscoeElegante

Thanks, TokyoPortrait, and everyone else.

This site--
    https://chordu.com/chords-tabs-chri...ow-cinematic-background-music--id_k9rsgxDEgac
    --tracks it pretty well, though its F is wrong, and the progression is generally simpler than it shows, when capoed at the 3rd fret and played in C-form chords. I was figuring it out the old-fashioned way (once I let myself play an Fm, a chord I never think of) when I came across it.

I never knew that so many song-tabbing auto-thangs were around. Next you know we'll be watching movies on our phones or something! Definitely prefer to do it by ear and blunder, but am pressed for time.

Thanks again, everyone. Pretty song!

19. RoscoeElegante

Snarky, snarky, mon ami! Ain't you ever been puzzled and used, say, a calculator to solve a snag? I won't get into the (quite personal) reasons why time's a-tappin', but a little benefit of the doubt, eh?

SweetClyde99 and grant53 like this.
  20. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Band in a box software is supposed to do this but it didn't work so great for me when I tried to use the feature. Could have been me being new to biab. I attempted to use it when I first got biab and never went back and tried the feature again after initial not so great outcome. Totally dig biab though. Great software.

Biab is not online

ce24 and RoscoeElegante like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.