1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there an OD pedal that can go from transparent to mid-hump

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by don, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

J. Rockett Rockaway Archer.

An amazing Klon Circuit with an added graphic EQ - Probably the most versatile pedals I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

ponce, Cali Dude, J-bass&Tele and 5 others like this.
  2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

unique
    /juːˈniːk/
    adjective: unique
    being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else.

How can something be very one-of-a-kind or very unlike-anything-else?

kLyon likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

An EQ pedal can work wonders before or after another pedal to alter the characteristics of the pedal or signal. They're so inexpensive, it may behoove you to buy one anyway.

Boost or overdrive pedals with treble & bass controls that have a fixed mid value can be fun. Treble & bass up high = scooped mids. Treble & bass down low = prominent mids, level settings and gain settings altered to suit of course. Pedals with a three band EQ allow you to set the mids as you see fit, but they're often more expensive than an EQ in the first place, and not as flexible.

don likes this.
  4. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Did you ever use it for much? I don't see many videos of it on youtube, and the people who do use it only seem to crank it for those afwful bees-in-a-can heavy metal distortions. Not many tasteful demos of it. It seems versatile, but I can't figure out if it sounds good or fake.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about "fake" because I've never owned any oft he pedals it emulates. Also I only ever played it through a Fender Frontman 15R, so take that as you will.

That being said, I enjoyed having a relatively cheap pedal that could cover a lot of bases. I remember enjoying the Tube Screamer mode for lower-gain stuff, the Metal Zone because it let my Strat hang with my metal-loving, LTD-into-Peavey best friend, and the Big Muff because, well, it was fun for its own sake. I never got much into the other odes, but I also didn't have the understanding/patience for dialing in EQ that I have now. I eventually got the Trimode pictured above and got my old DS-1 modded, and gave the DF-7 to my best friend (my dirt needs were rounded out years later with a Fuzz Factory). I think his brother uses it now.

I'd be curious to give it another shot, if only to see what I can get out of it. Again, I couldn't tell you how well it emulates the "real" pedals, but these days I'm also less concerned with than than with how I can make what's in front of me work. I'd probably take my original, un-modded DS-1 over the DF-7, but I wouldn't say the DF-7 was bad.

I hear you about the demos. The trouble is that the "IT DOES EVERYTHING" pedals don't usually get thoughtful, patient demo videos because then the demo is half an hour long. So they show us the extremes and let us fill in the blanks.

6. Gatordad

Gatordad Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Barber Gain Changer would be a great choice. However, they will be more difficult to come by at a reasonable price due to enclosure sourcing issues they are currently facing.

Take a close look at the Wampler Clarksdale od pedal. TS variant with TMB eq section where you can have the mid boosted TS tones or take the hump totally out. Very tweakable od.

Another vote also for the Mojo Hand Fx Rook. Definitely worth a look/listen.

don likes this.
  7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Advertised as a boost pedal, but I think the Suhr Koko Boost Reloaded could be what you need.

No need to flick a toggle switch or have a double-sized pedal on your board. It's a "2 in 1" pedal in a single enclosure. Just hold down the footswitch briefly and it switches from green to red (transparent to mid-boost). The toggle switch it does have (as well as the Mid Q control) doesn't do a lot at all, but it doesn't matter, this pedal sounds great in a band mix. I use it with a Carmen Ghia or Pro Jr (single coils and humbuckers) and it's killer. Guessing it would be excellent with a Princeton at volume too.

I love the Barber stuff, have had most of them and still have several, great pedals all around, but the Koko is the most useful pedal on my board. I've used it on every gig I've had since I bought it 3 years ago and have never thought about replacing it.

don likes this.
  8. don

don Tele-Meister

Even though I have been reluctant to jump on a Way Huge Green Rhino because of some reviews that said it was noisy I went ahead and bought the Mark IV version after talking to seller about the noisiness so its coming today to check out. I like the Way Huge Pedals in general and never had a noise problem before. like that in classic mode its like a tube screamer with the mid hump but in the other mode with the flip of a toggle I can back off the 100hz and 500hz or even enhance those frequencies based on the particular guitar and amp I'm using. UPS says I'm getting today so I'll report back on it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  9. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I've been watching demos for various Mostortion clones – the Karma, Danelectro Roebuck, Cascade Hosstortion, etc. – and it seems like the 3-band EQ on those are very versatile. And it does the low-gain OD thing very well.

Mike M likes this.
  10. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's exactly the type of thing I rely on my Tumnus Deluxe for......

11. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

How about something like the Tech21 OverDrive.
    It's got two foot switches so two fx in one.

1 is just a very simple/clean (nothing added) Boost, whereas the 2nd lets you add the OD (both can work independently or with the other). With the OD you can dial it in from barely noticeable 'lift', through mid-boost/Top-boost territory all the way to (for my ears) heavy distortion.

Or, get the clean boost by using the guitar volume then get your mid-hump from an oft under-rated TC Spark Boost.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  12. don

don Tele-Meister

So interestingly a buddy loaned me his EHX Soul Food pedal. I must admit that it covers a wide range of tones and does a good job of getting me those mids by rolling slightly off the treble knob on the pedal without sounding too compressed or losing the character of the amp and guitar. I'm going to keep it a few days and see how it sounds in some different situations.

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Barber's Gain Changer seems to offer a lot of flavors in one box - the vanstrawchoc of pedals.

kevsonic likes this.
  14. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

A Soul Food might fit fit the bill.

15. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I have the Roebuck, great Mosfet Clone, only $159 now at Sweetwater
    Nice Derek Wells video here

16. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  17. don

don Tele-Meister

Keep them coming! I bought a Soul Food today because it works with all of my guitars with just an adjustment of the treble knob on the pedal. That said I’d be happy to buy more pedals so I’m interested in hearing about others!

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Timmy can go from flat to mid-humpy. IMO.

Caveat - not an OD connoiseur.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Tubescreamer TS9DX probably gets you there. The Turbo mode is big and full.... unlike most OD's with only a huge mid hump. Set it to about 1 on gain and it's clean with just a hint of boost/grit. But you have 3 other modes in the TS9DX, switch to the TS808 mode and you have your big mids.

20. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

2nd a recommendation for the ehx crayon. The treble and bass knobs are powerful but it's always musical

don likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.