1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there an amp that can do Fender cleans and modern distortion?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blkhrs7, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chromaken

chromaken Banned

Circle gets a square.... ? the recording statement was to make a point. Yea, somehow a tube and ss at the same volume have different cutting abilities.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just get one of the many 6L6 Mesa Boogie or RIVERA models or a KT88 VHT one.

3. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Supersonic head. The combo suffers from cheap cabinet work IMHO, the head doesn't have that hassle. I love it. Your choice of tubes. Google up some reviews.
    The earlier effort, the Prosonic, is more desirable, more better, more money too. My money says the Supersonic will become highly desirable and pricey as well (it'll just take a few years).

4. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

It's worth checking out the Hughes & Kettner Statesman. The dual 6L6 has lovely Fender-like cleans and the drive channel with a boost function has great thick gain.

5. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Tele-Meister

The Fender Prosonic is just what you are looking for. Pure country fender cleans on channel one, cascading high gain stages on channel two with everything inbetween. It has switchable output from 30 watts pure class A with tube rec. to 50 watts A/B with tube rec. and 60 watts A/B with SS rec. I picked it up just for the situation that you decribed. I love to play country, but there's a lot more rock bands around where I'm at and I needed something that would cover the bases and do it well. If you can find one, give it a whirl.

6. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That's the first thing I thought of. A buddy of mine has one. The "modern" high gain tone is crazy good.

7. Steve McGinnis

Steve McGinnis Tele-Afflicted

CARR 6v6

Expensive (Very) but sometimes you can get them used fairly affordable. sounds FANTASTIC!!! and has the two channels you want...

8. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I would probably try something like a Mesa...the Lonestar is a cool sounding amp. They seem to be some of the more versatile amps I've heard. I'd like to have one myself someday...although I'd probably still play my 5E3 most of the time.
    Is EVH considered modern distortion?

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's possible to mod a Deluxe Reverb and end up with a really aggressive tone on one channel and the other channel untouched. If you're talking 30-50 watts you want power amp / power supply mods as well.

It's not rocket science. It would involve some intrusive mods, for instance an extra tube would be useful. If you could do without trem that frees up a couple tube sections that can be used for other things.

10. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Matchless Amps makes a few amps that can do that.

11. sromero

sromero TDPRI Member

mesa 5:25 express. done.

12. blkhrs7

blkhrs7 Tele-Meister

I had just got on the Mesa site and was looking at the Lonestar. Looks worth checking into. EVH modern? Good point. EVH in 1998 rather than 1978 maybe.

All of these suggestion sound like good places to look into and are appreciated. Can't wait to try some of these out in the near future.

13. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

My two cents on the Prosonic and Super Sonic: both are fantastic amps, but neither will really do "Modern High Gain" very well in my experience. At least not as well as a 5150 or Triple X.

14. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

Is "modern distortion" in amps like mesas and such... well, how is it accomplished? Do they drive the power tubes or the preamp tubes? Or do they just have a OD box inside?

15. giantslayer

giantslayer Tele-Holic

+1 on the triple X. My friend had one of those and it had a very nice clean tone and a good uber-distortion channel. The crunch channel was kindof so-so.

16. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Try a Dr. Z Galaxie amp/ I have one. It has divine Tweed clean and semi-dirty tones along with Channel 2 which is the holy grail of modern overdrive from the entire amp.

It's worth checking out here alone:
    Galaxie on Youtube

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

maybe you should try a tube-preamp in front of your DR?
    As you stated that the majority of your playing is country, you can't do any better than the Deluxe.
    I think there are several good makes which give you the desired grease.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another vote for Super-Sonic.

19. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

Mesa V-Twin in front of your SFDR?

20. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

How could I have been so stupid! The answer is a preamp. Specifically the Peavey Rockmaster preamp. Run that thing into your SFDR loop and you can use it to bypass the SFDR preamp section when you want to pummel the power section.

Here're the gory details: three channel preamp with three separate effects loops, more 1/4" jacks than you can shake a stick at. You can throw two or three EQs in two or three effects loops for different tones and never mess with the sound of the SFDR. It's an unbelieveable piece of equipment and you can probably pick one up on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.