Is There An All Tube Distortion Effects Pedal/Box?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vintage Fan, Feb 3, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the smaller footprint, I wonder how it fares though with only 2 control knobs vs 5...

I have this
    [​IMG]

...and I swapped out the tube for a 12at7 or 12ay7, don't remember which, and it turned it into a very nice hi-fi- sounding guitar preamp/EQ.

But it's been on loan to a bassplayer comrade for the last 15 years or so, his rig sounds awesome with that thing, in a Lemmy-ish way

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

How about an attenuator on the SR so you can play it at any volume you want and get the distortion directly from your amp. Weber speakers makes several really good, reasonably priced attenuators.

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

4. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

I'm considering an attenuator. I am checking around locally. I'd prefer to see & hear one before I buy one. And researching which one to buy,

5. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

The tube in a pedal will be a pre-amp tube, not a power tube. Different pa tubes would generally alter the amount of gain, unlike power tubes which have a more defined character tonally. Don't confuse the two

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you said that. It explains a lot about my larger amp, which has a master volume. Overdriving it with the master up sounds completely different (and better) than overdriving it with the master down.

And using pedals for overdrive with the master up and the volume down sounds just fine.

Now I know why. Thanks!

beyer160 likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

If you're interested, here's a quick demo with my Vintage Tube Monster with the treble cranked up. The amp is my Hotone Mojo Diamond and the guitar is my '63 Strat, first the bridge, then the neck, pickups.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yep, and it definitely is a tube rollers dream with 2 top mounted tubes.

I never get treble knob above 9-10:00, it’ll drive you out of room with treble bite easy. Would do what OP wants in a snap.

Yea, it’s not the high gain modded Marshall sound. But I put a GE 12ay7>RCA 12au7 in mine and it’ll do vintage JTM edge of breakup/grind stuff superbly but you have to know the EQ, start with them all down at 8:00, roll up gain/vol, then roll up mids, then treble, then bass.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Think the non-matched tube sound is key here. Back before we became aware via internet and discussions, most people just popped whatever they had in amps, they knew nothing about balanced phase inverters, matching power tubes within 5-10% bias. That sound he’s getting is perfect example of the “if a sound comes out of the speaker it’s good to go” tone.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Vintage Fan,

Send me a PM, and I'll hook you up with a local pedal builder here, Patrick Gentile.

He's made a few pedals for me, along with my pine Tele, and he has built an all-tube distortion pedal before. (There is literally a glowing glass tube mounted in the top of the pedal.)

I'll check him out today to see if he still has that model on his shop bench, and I'll test drive it with a Tele, if at all possible.

Patrick is a great craftsman, and he prices his gear reasonably.

:)

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Great stuff!

I've actually got a Tube Driver combo amp, (the Tube Works TD-752) built in the early 1990's and designed by BK Butler.

It's an awesome old beast, and offers distortion and tone nothing like my Fenders, Marshalls, and the Vox.

The only down side to this amp is that it's susceptible to EMI interference, on rare occasions. (The wireless internet router, a couple of years ago, caused a steady clicking noise thru the amp, which we resolved by unplugging the router until we were done with band practice.)

tube works td752.jpg

24 track likes this.
  12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I do remember the thingy called the tube driver from the days of Dinosaurs and Grand Funk railroad.
    you might look at T.C Electronics for their Pilot Overdrive. I, being into Fake everything use a MOJOMOJO stomp box and with faux drums and bass it does that kind of 12AX7 o.k. for me, good luck

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

Thats sad t
    Sad to hear about your Super doing that . I used to have one and when it broke up it sounded great.... SUPER in fact.
    :cool:it was really loud :eek:when it started breaking up
    Is it possible you 1969 amp needs to go to the amp doctor for a check up.
    You know that amp is almost thirty years old they say guys should go in for regular check ups when we are thirty

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

LOVELY!!!!!! I love the amp!

I wonder if you removed the amp and used copper foil adhesive tape to line the inside of the cabnet where the amp sits if that would be enough to shield the the Tube driver from EMI ( copper is non magentic and would work really well, similar to lining the inside of a guitar )

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

perhaps I am a little late to the game, but don't forget the Matchless Hotbox!

Its an All-tube pedal - basically a vox AC30 preamp in pedal format, with power supply voltages around 300 VDC!

I don't think they make them anymore, but I have built two of them and the sound very nice in just about anything I've played them thru.

http://enginerdamps.blogspot.com/2009/01/matchless-hotbox-tube-preamp-pedal.html

I had to build the second Hotbox because I lent out the first one and the guy who borrowed it loved it and wanted to buy it, so I sold it too him at cost and built a smaller one (reduced chassis size from 7"x9" to 6"x8")

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Vintage Fan,

Okay, so Patrick had his prototype all-tube pedal in the shop today, and he let me bring it home this evening to put it thru it's paces.

I plugged it in and ran it thru my Vox AC15, and played the Chapman ML3 Tele.

I was surprised to realize that with very little tweaking of the knobs (Volume, Gain, Tone, and Response) you can get the exact sound and tones you desire. (The ones on display in your original posting's music video).

A really impressive all-tube pedal this, the Beard Face Electron Vacuum Drive.

DO PM me, I'll hook you up with Patrick so you can talk to him about the possibility of him shipping one to you!

Or if you like PM me and telephone me so I can demo it to you over the phone.

electron vacuum drive 4.JPG electron vacuum drive 4.JPG electron vacuum drive 3.JPG

sanfi4u likes this.
  17. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have NO IDEA why it repeated that one image.
    :(

24 track likes this.
  18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I may try that, and thanks for the suggestion.

I want to pull the head out of it to clean the pots with DeOxit anyway, and shielding the cavities would be a good idea.

The reality is that it behaves well in most venues, and only exhibited that EMI clicking when at our drummer's house a couple of seasons ago.

Hasn't happened since.

I will line the inside of the cavity though.
    THat's the right thing to do, to avoid an embarrassing gig some evening.

:(

24 track likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

you blinked when you hit send
    :lol::lol::lol:

20. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

2 watts of fury with a line out

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.