1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a way to measure speaker sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Definitely an 8 ohm speaker.

2. Jakedog

My guess is that they wanted to imitate the sound of the original field coil to get the amps closer to the sound of the original 50’s Supro amps that used field coil speakers.

nojazzhere and Chiogtr4x like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

PS - if you try to measure, I think the criteria I was recalling is 1000 hz at 1 watt, at a distance of 1 meter on axis. However, as someone pointed out, there are different ways to measure. I just read its common to measure at a range of frequencies, then average. Eminence does the average across the usable frequency range, at 1 watt at 1 meter on axis.

Oh well, unless you have a teen that needs a science project, its a little involved..

Andy B and Jakedog like this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Ha! Though my membership says 2009, I've really only started posting recently with the acquisition of a beautiful Tele. As the new kid in town, I thought I'd give Jakedog the credit for not being as absent-minded as I am. Nice to know we have a couple things in common! ;)

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I was first going to suggest digging around Johan Segeborn's youtube channel.
    He has a lot of demo tests of speakers, cabinets, and more.
    I'd suggest even try emailing him. He's an automotive engineer by day (Volvo, I think) so he will have more science based answers for you. If he doesn't know right away I suspect he will make effort toward what you want and perhaps put a new video up for himself in the process.

You don't really need speaker efficiency, that's one path, but there are others ... the real problem is you need your amp to be louder.

My first thought is to make an external cabinet (yourself) with 2x10s or 4x10s speakers that you can run with the amp (making sure the combination ohms are the same rated for the amp currently). 10s have a lot more punch than many flabby 12s. 10s should be a lot less expensive than 12s even in multiple copies. You could find 'rare earth' neo magnet 10s that when combined are less gig carry weight.

Does the speaker baffle board come out of the amp you have? Just make a new baffle board to fit two or three 10s. Put your own fabric over it (screen print your name for advertising on the fabric). This will cut your carry weight from having a separate cabinet.

Which is a similar idea to what this kid did with his practice amps -- the amp itself as 'a head' can do a lot more than you think, it's the amount of air you are pushing that counts for the loudness. Perhaps you have an old 4x12 (with the matching ohms) out in the garage you can connect to test like this?

Does your combo amp have a closed or open back? Get a thick piece of plywood and strap it across the back to convert it for testing into a closed back style. Seal gaps as best you can with shop rags/duct tape. A sealed speaker enclosure will give more bass than an open backed/ported cabinet. If it works then cut/paint/bolt-on the new back.

6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Maybe you have a home stereo speaker that you haven't thought about... It's a long shot but seems like we have all kinds of time to think out of the box, or into it I guess.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's two questions really. Presuming Supro was trying for a particular tone, it's quite possible (likely) that any replacement speaker will alter the tone, maybe in a way you don't like.

I read at least one review where a guy used an Emi SC64 and liked it. Produced a much smoother tone, though and he said he had to play with eqs to get it where he wanted for gigs.

Maybe pick up a secondhand Deluxe Reverb speaker, people almost give them away but it's basically an Emi Legend.

Jakedog and northernguitar like this.
  8. Jakedog

I’m not totally attached to the stock tone. It certainly wouldn’t upset me if the low end tightened up a little. I may just try a legend 1275. With a spec’d sensitivity of 101 Db it has to be louder than the stock speaker.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Jakedog

Thanks, but this is all exponentially more work than just sticking another speaker in it. And a lot of it would negate the portability factor of having a sub-30 lb 1x12 combo. Seems super counterintuitive. Not to mention, I do not build stuff, and have less than zero interest in learning to do so.

I will check out dude’s video, though. That seems like something I’d probably enjoy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The CR is probably not a bad choice for that amp either, as it sounds pretty bright and the CR can help balance that. My bandmates got one in his limited Tweed Blues Deluxe and with lower gain V1 it's actually pretty sweet sounding.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.