Is there a Tube Combo Amp That Does It All? Fender Cleans, Vox Crunch, Marshall Roar?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by wick001, Aug 17, 2020.

1. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Bend Tele LP (2).jpg PV Blues 3.jpg PV Blues 2 (2).jpg

2. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Different circuits, speakers, cabs, tubes, transformers, passive parts, layouts. Nope. Is there a vehicle that handles the same as a sports car, pulls loads like a truck, gets the gas mileage of an economy car? Probably some companies claim it, but that doesn't make it true.

Tommy Biggs and black_doug like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No combo, but this amp allegedly has all the circuits inside.

4. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Have you played the 3rd power Kitchen sink or a Mesa ta-30? Just cause someone claims that no amps do it well, doesn't make it true. ;)

5. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

MESA BOOGIE MK Series.

There is an awesome MK III for sale over at TGP for under a grand. I dare you to find a better all tube combo at twice that price.

Only drawback.... .....they are heavy.
    Nothing is perfect. Killer amps.....

6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Fender with some pedals?

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  7. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

My answer is no. Chasing tone is a lot like chasing rainbows. You can get close but it will ultimately elude you in the end. It also gets really expensive as you get closer to the rainbow tone we all want to have.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

It ain't affordable, but the Victory V40 Deluxe gets you damn close. I want one BAD.

Well, that was before I bought a vintage super reverb and forgot everything else in the world existed :)

Jakedog likes this.
  9. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

No, but there are plenty that claim to.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Then only amps I’ve heard that will definitely do what you describe are Riveras. And I also heard a Victory do it. The V40 Deluxe. neither are cheap. But they are worth the price of admission.

11. i384

i384 TDPRI Member

I think rather than looking for different amp sounds from different brands, you'll easier find different sounds from one "house sound" if that makes sense, that comes close to vox chime or a Marshall crunch. I had a Mesa f50 that did clean, crunch and "roar" really well (albeit with the help of pedals. I think any amp that has a great clean sound and takes pedals well will get you there...just with a slightly different flavour of its own. Fender Princeton, twin, maybe something like a Dr z maz18?

12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Serious question, which ones have you actually played that claim to do what the OP is asking, but came up short in your opinion?

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I've actually played dozens in the 49 years I've been playing. I never played an amp that did all three of those things authentically. Not to say they were bad, I've had lots of amps I've like, but Fender Clean, Vox Crunch, Marshall Roar in one amp? Nope. Not in my experience anyway.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

So specifically which ones that claim to do all 3? 3rd power kitchen sink? I don't doubt you have played tons of amps, just trying to narrow down the OP's request as I think "nothing can" is a bit of a lazy response especially if you haven't tried the most recent offerings that are the result of all the knowledge that came before plus the newest innovations.

15. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

The Marshall 6101 does it ALL

No question

20200206_100908.jpg

16. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Why? Asking an amp to do all things means that you're compromising in multiple places. I'd rather buy the best amp that does what it does best - a Fender for cleans, a Vox/Dr. Z/Matchless for Vox crunch, and a Friedman/Marshall for Marshall roar...

Your way of thinking may be cheaper, and you may get "pretty good" versions of each, but I'd rather have multiple amps.
    It's also a lot easier to have multiple amps with a splitter mic'd and recorded at the same time to then mix unique tones for verse, chorus and solo...

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The short answer is no.

The long answer is noooooooooooo.

(just kidding, I have no idea).

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I would look at the Tone King Falcon Grande'. Three channel type deal with high and low input. It also has a top notch attenuator and reverb.

19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

950157F6-8911-4053-9248-5A087AAF8F29.jpeg Vintage Traynor YRM-1. Ive had mine now for a few months and it just amazes me everytime. Jtm45/Bassman,JCM800.

20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

No.

And a Toyota Prius doesn't get the gas milage - or acceleration - of a Tesla model S or the cornering of a Porsche Boxster. But they are all cars.

And a grape doesn't taste like or have the texture of an avocado or strawberry. Yet all are classified as berries.

Get the point? You're asking for one amp to do the VERY specific jobs of several amps.

You can get tonally close using a good modeling amp - but it still will not sound exactly like you want because the cabinet construction will be of a singular type as will the speaker.

technologies are different, and if you want a specific Marshall or Vox sound - buy the appropriate Vox or Marshall. There's no way to get where you want on a budget.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.