Is there a Tube Combo Amp That Does It All? Fender Cleans, Vox Crunch, Marshall Roar?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by wick001, Aug 17, 2020.

1. wick001

wick001 TDPRI Member

I've had dozens of amps. Mesa's, Fenders, Peaveys, Engl, Vox... They all do their one thing awesome. But none of them were ever my keepers. The closest thing I've ever found to a keeper was my Marshall DSL 50 head. Great clean, great crunch, great roar.

Currently in my arsenal I have a Marshall Origin 50 head (awesome for hendrix tones), Peavey Classic 20 Head (fendery cleans, ok crunch channel) Peavey 6505MH 20 watt (awesome for my chug tones)...

And my recently purchased Fender 68 Vibrolux Silverface. The best clean tones I've ever heard. I love this amp.

But then I got to thinking. Is there an amp out there somewhere that can do it all? With out pedals (except for delay, maybe ambient reverbs).

Any thoughts on an COMBO amp that can do Fender Cleans, Vox Crunch, Marshall Roar?

THX!

Plustop likes this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

A Genz Benz Black Pearl 30.

USA made Single channel all tube with 5 voices for the amp types you mentioned. Also switch from 30 to 15 to 7 watts. Master volume and reverb.

They weren’t made for long before Fender bought them out and shut down the line. Beautifully made.

I’ve had one for maybe four years. I could sell all my other tube amps and keep that one.

A bit of a secret. There’s a Genz Benz Black Pear pirates den here for owners.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Rivera Chubster 40. Expensive, but worth every penny.

The last 2 recording studios I was at were so impressed with my amp they bought them too. I was able to dial up the sounds in seconds.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

An AMERICA MADE HR Fender, or PV Classic 30.

Or, the "Ford F-150" of amps...Silverface Twin.

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that a Vox normal channel can do those things (albeit at different volumes, this isn't a channel switching amp).

With the channel volume at half and the guitar turned down, plus some reverb added from the amp or a pedal, you get a beautiful clean sound. Not identical to Fender, but just as pretty.

Cranked, you get a roar that compares well with Marshall (Smoke on the water for example is a cranked Vox normal channel).

I doubt this fully answers your question, but I've always been disappointed by 'do-it-all' amps that purport to cover every base.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Laney IRT30

Ignore the connotations of it being part of the Ironheart \m/ metal series of amps. It does so much more.

Footswitch controlled channels with two EQ sections. Mids malarkey via a pull switch knob, preboost gives three channels with boost option on all. Reverb, FX loop, dynamics and overall tone control with Vari-Watt output level control.

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/ironheart-irt30-112-tube-combo

Fair bowled me over hearing one in action.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No

SAguitar, Anacharsis, johnny7 and 7 others like this.
  9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Not quite. At least that I've found. Here are a couple that are close.

The Egnater Tweaker has switchable tone stacks that can be set to Fender, Marshall, or Vox. I've got the 40 watt head. They also make a 40 watt combo and a 15 watt head.

The Tweaker does a good Fender BF/Sf or Tweed sound, plus a good Marshall Plexi. I've never used it for a more hi-gain modern Marshall tone.

I don't like its Vox sound at all.

The Mesa TA-15 has tone stacks for Vox, Fender (they call it "Tweed" but it sounds like BF/SF to me), Marshall, and Mesa. It also has adjustable tube configurations for different wattage.

I bought the Mesa for the clean Vox sound. To be more precise, I was looking for a Fender Princeton, but plugged into the Mesa and my late wife liked the Vox tone stack so much she talked me into buying it. The Top Boost channel is good too, with more dirt. The "Tweed" setting sounds like a nice BF/SF Fender with my Strat, but I don't like it with my LP Special or my Tele. The Marshall sound is really dirty, but the Mesa sound is nice and has plenty of oomph without turning to mud.

Also, Marshall used to make a 100 watt combo (with an attenuator switch down to 50) that has switchable tone stacks, including a bluesy tweed sound and a very clean, plus Marshall dirt. I don't remember the model. If I could have used that much power I would have bought one a few years ago. A friend of mine has one and uses it mostly for the clean sound.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Ronzo likes this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Is there a Tube Combo Amp That Does It All? Fender Cleans, Vox Crunch, Marshall Roar?

Yes, indeed... Easy ! :cool:o_O:eek::lol::

[​IMG]

Let's get serious : well... No, I don't think so :( - or at least, not exactly :confused: - despite my attempt... ;)

-tbln.

telemnemonics and stormsedge like this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

IMO... NO.... but mostly because speaker choice is also behind the iconic tones that are synonymous with with "Fender/Vox/Marshall" amps. It doesn't matter how many pre-amps modes an amp has... it can't change speakers on the fly! At least not in an affordable combo amp for the masses.

Somewhere in the chain, there will always be a compromise. For example.... a big part of the vox tone is a set of blue bells or silver bells. The tone you are looking for is not available without those. That doesn't mean there aren't other great tones available.... but you won't get that one ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much no. There's of course amps that might get close and give you a taste.

You really need the speakers, too. Vox without Blues? Tweed without Jensen? Marshall without Greenbacks?

Modman68, Ronzo, Cali Dude and 4 others like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that there are certainly tube amps that can cover a ton of ground and can get you in the ballpark of a lot of classic tones, but it's going to be a compromise at some level. The circuits, tubes and resulting tones are just too different in my opinion for one tube amp combo to cover it all.

14. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

There's absolutely no way to put fender clean and peavey classic together.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Egnater Tweaker.

16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Gets you really close. I can't get a good Vox tone out of mine.

Ronzo and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of it. Intrigued...

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Remember the guitar has controls, too.

19. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Blackstars cover a lot of ground

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.