1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a Tele bridge plate fits a strat? Or do all of them?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Wrong-Note Rod, May 9, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I got this old beat up strat body.

It doesnt have a bridge right now and I was wondering if I could frankenstein it to put in a telecaster bridge plate.

A little routing would not be an issue, this is a beater.

Or does any company make a tele-style bridge for standard fender stratocaster?

2. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Is it a "regular" Strat - routed for the trem bridge?
    If so, any bridge plate that allows for top-loading should be fine.

If it's a hardtail, you just need to make sure the plate matches the string-hole spacing.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

thanks, its a trem routed body. So I guess all I have to do is measure the trem route width and make sure the bridge plate is wider and theres enough wood to take the screws, correct?

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

You'll need to rout the body to accept a Tele bridge pickup because Tele pickups are designed to mount With a much larger body rout, strat pickups mount to the plastic pickguard.

With a Tele bridge and a strat pickup, you won't be able to mount the pickup to the bridge.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Yep - that and routing enough to accommodate the Tele bridge pickup (as fjrabon pointed out).

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

And now that I think of it you'll have to pretty drastically rerout the bridge pickup cavity because a Tele bridge pickup is further away from the saddles than a strat pickup is by about a half an inch.

I also think the bridge pickup mount might "invade" the trem rout in the back as well, but it might not.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

as I said, routing isnt a problem. I've got another strat body with a small route to accommodate a tele pickup shoved into a modified strat pickguard. This time I wanted the whole bridge plate too.

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

One last thing to note is that the routing of the original strat pickup rout will stick out from the sides from the Tele bridge plate, as strat pickup routs are about a half inch wider on each side to occokodate the pickguard mount screws. So you'll need the strat pickguard to wrap around the Tele bridge plate unless you don't mind those holes showing.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

ugh

I was afraid of that.

thanks for the warning.

10. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

11. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

^^^+1 ... I was just going to add that you can keep the Strat pickguard and install the Tele bridge there. Then hard-tail the trem bridge with a maple block. I have such a beast and it twangs easier than my Tele-tele.

12. Wrong-Note Rod

As I mentioned above, I already have that.

thanks anyway.

hellopike likes this.
  13. Strange Ol' Man

Chime-Master ?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I seem to be missing something here.
    There is no body wood on a Strat where a Tele bridge screws to the body, so in order to mount a Tele bridge you have to fill the Strat trem rout with wood.
    Jvin did mention filling the hole.
    I still have some maple slugs I made years ago to fill the Strat trem rout hole, never liked the transformation, but it's worth a shot if you have the parts, tools and time.
    Otherwise, if you rout a Strat guard to fit around the Tele bridge plate accurately, you can make it cover the old Strat pup mounting ear rout that is wider than the Tele bridge pup.

15. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Well sir. That is a thing that I am going to do ASAP with my strat.

16. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Sonny Landreth does this. Sounds great.

17. Strange Ol' Man

I love it . Glendale or Callaham made/makes the whole deal . I just drilled mine out and added the saddles . Don't go crazy with the wiggle stick and it does fine . Hell, you cold hardtail the strat wammy with a piece of maple wedge between the bock and body or invest in a Tremo-no or what ever its called .

18. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Not quite the same bridge. Sonny uses a full length modern Tele bridge with a Strat type trem block bolted to the bottom.
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/sonny-landreth-strat-to-tele-bridge-mod.101164/

He has to start with a hard tail body. The regular rout for the Strat trem is offset to the side of the high E string, so a single coil Tele bridge will not fully cover that rout without filling. A Tele bridge that will accept a HB pickup may be wide enough to cover the Strat's trem routing, however.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

yeah the trem route in the aforementioned strat body, is indeed too wide and the tele bridge plates I have, dont cover it up - the route shows up on either side.

seems like it might be more trouble than its worth... this body already has a small route to accommodate tele bridge pickup mounted into a standard strat pickguard...

I'll just keep using that.

Thanks to all for your replies.

20. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I've never really used the wiggle stick much. Nothing more than a little Bigsby-esque wiggle.

Strange Ol' Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.