Is there a source of Fender white blonde/Mary Kaye paint besides Reranch?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Kloun, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I'm about 90% done with a body and ran out of Reranch Mary Kaye blonde paint. I am sick of their "We're closed for a few days" that has lasted a few weeks and would like to find a more reliable vendor.

2. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Gracey's is a good source. You can find them on Reverb

But I don't think they have a Mary Kaye finish. Historically it was a Blonde finish, but the artist associated with that finish (Mary Kaye) gave it its name. So if you have a Blonde finish, but make sure it is white based not butterscotch, you can get the same effect.

Kloun likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Erlewine gives a lot of the Duco paint numbers from the Leo's notes and talks about how he thinks it was done in his book on guitar finishing. There is also a lot of original information here

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

Also, lots of the original fender colors have faded or changed color over the years. Its one thing to try to duplicate what it looked like in 1960, quite different what it looks like today.

Edit to add, I would be very leery of getting halfway thru a paint job and switching not only manufacturers but potentially different formulations. It might make sense to just bide your time and get some more of the same stuff you've been using.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    GeminiCG and Kloun like this.
  4. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

And to add on to that, if you wait don't worry, nitrocellulose melts into itself.

5. FelixV

FelixV TDPRI Member

I would wait until you can get more reranch as I wouldn't want the new color to not match 100% with the reranch.

I find it very sad that when the world capitulates to the demands of the bourgeois eschatologists, things like nitrocellulose lacquer will be unobtainable. Nitro is a part of guitar players cultural heritage and should be treasured!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.