Is there a saturation point for G.A.S.?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jannodude, Apr 15, 2018.

1. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Relapses are part of the recovery process and like any other addiction disorder, take it one day at a time and be thankful for the sage advice forums like this forum offer free of charge. GAS can also mean Guitars AnonymouS

Frodebro likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I mostly have what I want. The stuff that's so far out of price range might as well not exist. I don't avoid looking, but I have no urge to buy.

It's easy to have this view with a nice collection. :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For me the point where GAS diminished came from a combination of saturation and satisfaction. I started innocently with two Takamine acoustics, one of which had suffered a bad bashing in its back, both of which I'd had for 20 years or so. I remember asking my wife if she minded if I looked for a "little better guitar".

Probably 20 guitars later I've pretty well landed, I think. I've accepted that, while I appreciate lots of guitars, I'm a Takamine guy, and I like wide fat necks. My 5 electrics all have different pickup combinations, and my 5 acoustics all serve different purposes: dread, classical, 12-string, etc. My amps sound great at home, and they have enough power to carry themselves (if I can carry them) if I ever take them out.

For quite a while I used picks as a pacifier: buying a $20-40 pick every now and then kept me from buying every $800 guitar I liked. I am slowing down on that now, too. I have enough Red Bears, Blue Chips, V-Picks, and Surfpicks to last me a very long time.

Ongo Gablogian and telemnemonics like this.
  4. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

I didn’t buy a guitar for 10 years but then I got into amp and guitar building. Now I’m not sure there is an end in sight. I just had to buy three more guitar hangers. None of them have value to anyone but me and the money in parts could certainly purchase serviceable guitars and amps but sometimes it’s more fun to source and build than it is to play.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure if you build bolt ons, but for me I keep taking the less played guitars apart and stockpiling the parts.
    If I suddenly get a jones for a new sound I can grab a body, neck and hardware and whip something up for little or no money.
    Plus they store better as parts, and I don't look too crazy to visitors.

HolyTele Tube likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing I remember most about it, and I've never had another guitar affect, or impress me as much as the Firebird did as far as quality of build and just overall WOW factor. It was incredibly well finished, and just wonderfully full and rich sounding through even the little amp I had at the time, that I don't even remember the name of. The reason I traded it was that I started going out with the gal that would later become my wife whom I've spent most of my adult life with 52 years this past march. She was from a family of 9 and most of them played acoustic guitar and eschewed electrics, not wanting to be a broken spoke in the wheel, I quickly traded the FB for the HB, and I was good to go. In fact they all liked the Hummingbird so much, I had no trouble fitting right in with the family!

I have owned some truly nice guitars in my life, it's kind of odd, and sad, that the really good ones are long gone. It is a far better thing I did, than that which I do.

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

The saturation point for G.A.S. :

When the concentration of items passes the point of equilibrium and the atmosphere reaches the point of spontaneous combustion! :)

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

What?
    No!

9. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Good idea!

Jakedog likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Trading away a guitar for love?
    Seems like it worked out well!

jannodude likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Having tried everything, and now played a ton of shows, I finally know what I want and need.

- Roland JC-40. The perfect amp for me. I kept my old JC-77 for nostalgia, but I doubt I'll even need that much headroom.
    - Simple tuner, overdrive and delay
    - 2 LPs and two 336s (one with Bigsby). More than I need, to be sure. But I love them all. They all weigh between 7-8lbs, have the necks I love, and pickups I love.
    - one lap steel
    - Martin and Gibson acoustic

I'm very fortunate. I can't play each of them as often as I'd like, and I refuse to add more that I won't use, because I refuse to sell any of these.

Man, a lot of GAS, indecision, reversal and frustration getting here though.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

dude, I just played an old yamaha bass through a Flint direct to the board in front of 800 happy people

at first I was miffed because Sound Guy didn't want my vintage 1970 amp sound, but his sound was spanking amazing so vintage whatever

audiences listen to music, not gear

take that to the BANK

Jakedog and jannodude like this.
  13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

This is definitely me as well.

When I was working and had a larger, more steady income I let GAS rule for quite a while. It wasn't a problem, we had everything else we needed and still put some money away. Now I'm downsizing a bit. I have a friend whose whole family is musical but they don't have a lot of money. The oldest son has a real drive to learn electric guitar but they couldn't see a way to give him a guitar that wouldn't make learning harder. I've given him two guitars - a CV Squier to get him started and when I saw how determined he was and how far he'd gotten I gave him a 1989 American Standard Strat. Now I'm thinking about giving him my Traynor point-to-point handwired amp as he only has a small practice amp. I'm not telling this to give me any credit but to point out that I'm so over GAS and have so reached my saturation point that I'm in a real position to let go of things I'm not using. Plus my recent experiences have shown me how ephemeral this thing called life is, and I can't take it with me. Better to encourage a young person with real desire and talent!

jannodude likes this.
  14. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Yes, I think I’m getting past the whole GAS thing and it’s a good feeling. You can appreciate cool stuff without the necessity of owning it.

Haven’t bought a new guitar since May 2015 or a second hand one since December 2016. Hoping to hold out for at least the end of the year or longer.

But it’s a weird feeling not actually wanting anything.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe yes, maybe...

[​IMG]

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I spent the early part of my career with one acoustic, one electric, one amp, one bass, and one bass amp.

I gigged them all over creation, and although I went through a whole bunch of everything, I never had more than one of anything at a time. I did just fine. I couldn't afford to have more, and it was always good stuff.

Then things changed. At one point at I had 37 guitars and basses, 17 amps, severs bass rigs, a drum kit, keyboards, you name it.

Now I've been simplifying. Part of it is because I'm poor again. Partly it's because I just don't need it. It takes up a lot of space. It's hard to keep it all maintained, and really, I JUST DONT NEED IT.

I have several guitars now that I just keep because they have sentimental value. Heirlooms and such. A few pieces that were built custom for me and given to me by the builders. Special stuff, to me. Wouldn't be anything special to anybody else most likely.

Now I'm back to gigging all the time with one tele and one amp. All the pedals are gone except for a couple keepsakes, and I use an all in one TC Electronic unit.

I don't actually want anything else. It would be nice, but the stuff I have covers my needs better than fine.

I'm not saying I won't have more again, but right now I'm happy.

And- Id much rather have one really nice guitar that I really love, than a bunch of half assed ones.

telemnemonics and jannodude like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.