Is there a rule of thumb for pup distance from bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Texecaster, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Texecaster

Texecaster Tele-Meister

Hello all,

I am laying out my next build, a Tele with dual humbuckers, and was wondering is there a set distance that the bridge pick up needs to be from the bridge?
    If it's too close, will it be overly tinny / trebly?

The attached photo is where I pencilled it in but it looks a tad close to the bridge?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure if it a rule of thumb or just chance but all of my HB equipped guitars have the centre of the bridge pickup 2" (+/- 1/8") from the bridge.

3. Texecaster

Texecaster Tele-Meister

2" from the edge of the bridge, or the saddles, or the string through holes? lol

Cheers.

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Typically, you want the pickups to be about as far apart as possible so you get a larger tonal variation from the neck and bridge posistion. I put them closer together once, and both pickups pretty much sounded the same.

Most guys, including myself, like the humbucker ring or edge of the pickup(tv jones p90) to be touching the edge of the bridge.

5. Texecaster

Texecaster Tele-Meister

Cool, thanks Colt. I might just leave it where it is then.

Cheers.

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like this guy's theory.

http://archive.ampage.org/threads/6/pmgd/335435/Bridge_humbucker_location_very_critical-1.html

For instance the Les Paul having a 24-3/4" scale, it's bridge pickup is located 23-3/8" and the neck at 18-5/8".
    (I locate off the adjustable screw poles of a humbucking pickup in their normal Les Paul orientation)

This equates to an AR of .94 for the Bridge pickup location and .75 for the Neck pickup location.

So as an example when placing humbuckers on a Strat and wanting Les Paul type voicing, the strat having a 25.5" scale would have the bridge pickup at:

25.5 x .94 = 23.97" (23-31/32")

and the neck the pickup screw poles would be placed at:

25.5 x .75 = 19.12" (19-1/8")

Using the position of a HB from a known guitar of similar scale length is a good idea. Pickup positioning is probably the most important tonal aspect short of the actual pickup you're putting in. Half an inch can be the difference between tinny icepick and mud.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  7. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Yep - I need to be more specific. From centre of the pickup to the saddle on the high E.

If you do a google image search for "Les Paul" and/or "PRS" and you'll see that there is typically around a 1/2" gap between bridge and pickup ring. Slightly more on the longer scale PRS which backs up Nick's figures.

As Colt pointed out, get the pickups too close together and their sound is too similar but, get the bridge pickup too close to the bridge and it can be very quiet because the closer you get to the bridge, the smaller the amplitude in the string movement.

8. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

Just curious why you aren't using a tele bridge with the humbucker opeining already in it? I like the grain by the way.
    Vinny

9. Colt W. Knight

[​IMG]

10. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Colt, can you point me to those cool knobs you made?

11. Texecaster

Texecaster Tele-Meister

Cheers Vinny,

I just had two hardtail strat bridges in my parts box, so why not use one.

Thanks Nick and Davmac, I learnt something new today....again....from here! :D

Cheers.

12. HighAndDry

HighAndDry Tele-Meister

Interesting. I have often wondered what criteria Fender and Gibson used originally for pickup placement. I have read reviews of 24 fret guitars where the reviewer noted that the neck pickup no longer was placed at the 2nd octave harmonic point. I wonder if they used scale length as a factor or just trial and error?

13. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

The placement absolutely needs to be right... I recently inherited a '71 Gibson SG-200, and the original owner installed two Dimarzio Super Distortion pups. The problem is that it originally came with two single coils, and whoever did the mods just widened the holes from the stock pickups. The problem is, when I installed two paf style humbuckers in there, the bridge pickup sounded way too wimpy and weak. My solution was to put a modified Gibson P-94T in it, because it's centralized polepieces are in roughly the same location as the original single coils' poles. Now it sounds great!

Attached Files:

14. Colt W. Knight

QUOTE=hackworth1;3242860]Colt, can you point me to those cool knobs you made?[/QUOTE]

Well, I cut two 75$ duck calls in half to make those. So They really aren't an economical choice for guitar knobs. My brother has some photos of me cutting em up. Ill email him and see if he can send them to me.

http://www.keswaterfowlers.com/products/corn-cutter/[

I built that guitar for Knock Em Stiff Waterfowlers ( My brother is a duck hunting pro staff guy). It was being raffled off for wounded vets coming back from Iraq and Afghanastan. Last I heard, it was making its way into the hands of some celebrities for autographs.

merseymale likes this.
  15. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

Well, I cut two 75$ duck calls in half to make those. So They really aren't an economical choice for guitar knobs. My brother has some photos of me cutting em up. Ill email him and see if he can send them to me.

http://www.keswaterfowlers.com/products/corn-cutter/[

I built that guitar for Knock Em Stiff Waterfowlers ( My brother is a duck hunting pro staff guy). It was being raffled off for wounded vets coming back from Iraq and Afghanastan. Last I heard, it was making its way into the hands of some celebrities for autographs.[/QUOTE]

Lol Colt when I first saw those "knobs" I thought they were wheels from a pair of roller skates! They look neat though! :)

16. Colt W. Knight

Lol Colt when I first saw those "knobs" I thought they were wheels from a pair of roller skates! They look neat though! :)[/QUOTE]

Haha, my brother wanted to incorporate some duck calls into the guitar( I think he has watched too many episodes of American Chopper). The only thing I could think of was cutting up calls and making a medallion and some knobs.

[​IMG]

My bother wanted to put a bunch of decals on it, and I flat out told him no. Its a damn guitar, and way to pretty to put freakin' stickers all over it.

The middle of the knobs are polished walnut dowels. I tried just filling em with clear epoxy, but the epoxy blushed on me, so I made little walnut buttons.
    [​IMG]

But anyway, I posted the picture to show the humbucker mount bridge plate. The ones guitar fetish sells are actually pretty nice plates. I think there like 17$, where as Gotohs are closer to 70$.

17. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Another data point: the polepieces in my Ric 330 are about 1.25" from the bridge saddles.

The pickup body is only about 1/8" away from the bridge plate.

- Scott

18. Texecaster

Texecaster Tele-Meister

Thanks again to all.
    I should nail it with all the info supplied here.

Cheers.

19. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

I did measurments from my Strat with a fullsize Duncan custom bucker in the bridge. I got different measurments than both a Les Paul and to the first pole piece of a tele single coil.

Strat
    saddle height adjustment screws to center pole/screw in front coil= 1 1/2"
    from the 6 vintage tremolo mounting screws to same screw/poles= 1 1/8"
    From the 6 screws to center of the 2 coils= 1 1/2"

Tele
    Saddle height adjustment screw to treble(high E) side pole piece= 1 3/8"
    string though hole to High E pole=2"

20. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

That is why Strats/Teles have issues with using neck pickups and harmonics. You lose that harmonic. I think Leo had it right the the Esquire- one pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.