Is there a really decent canned chili?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m just wondering. I’m a big believer in the idea that homemade anything is better than canned anything. I make a lot of my own soups, and I have several different great chilis I can throw together.

But fall and winter are big time chili and soup season for me, and I’m a busy guy who doesn’t always have to time to shop, prep, and cook. Therefore I keep a selection of canned soups handy for when I need something speedy with minimal cleanup. They’re not as good as anything homemade, but they definitely get the job done in a pinch.

Chili is a different story. I have never found a decent canned chili. Don’t get me wrong, when I want chili dogs, the 99 cent generic can of hot dog chili is the ONLY way to get it done so it tastes like an old school drive-in dog. But for an actual bowl of chili, to eat as a stand-alone meal, it’s all just crap. If anyone has a suggestion that isn’t, I’m all ears.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
I have two cans of "back up chili" in the cabinet for more than a year. I prefer to stop at our local grocery store that has a deli counter with hot soups and chili. I buy a large container and use it as a chili dinner or for hot dogs or I put it over tamales also. The counter is self serve so I can be in and out of there in 5 minutes tops. I'll have to look at the date on the cans......Good luck.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have two cans of "back up chili" in the cabinet for more than a year. I prefer to stop at our local grocery store that has a deli counter with hot soups and chili. I buy a large container and use it as a chili dinner or for hot dogs or I put it over tamales also. The counter is self serve so I can be in and out of there in 5 minutes tops. I'll have to look at the date on the cans......Good luck.
My “chili in a hurry” option has been the Wendy’s drive-thru. It’s a long way from top shelf, but it’s leaps and bounds beyond anything I’ve found in a can. I wish I had a deli counter that had good soups and chili!

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I like Vietti Chile. No "textured vegetable protein" in it.

viettichile20.png

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
No. Not that I’ve found. Wolf Brand for dogs is doable. Hormell, if it’s all the store has.
I didn’t know Bush’s made a chili.

When we do soup it’s a big batch. We freeze about 2/3s in packages that each contains 4 bowls worth. we just finished up the turkey soup made back in August. There is one package of southwest chowder left.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
My “chili in a hurry” option has been the Wendy’s drive-thru. It’s a long way from top shelf, but it’s leaps and bounds beyond anything I’ve found in a can. I wish I had a deli counter that had good soups and chili!
Took the words right outta my mouth. Wendy's.

Actually the Safeway Steakhouse Chili is pretty good, from the deli, cold. Bring on the saltines, not oyster crackers. The added salt makes it juuuuust right.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
For canned chili, Wolf brand isn't too bad, imo. It's available with or without beans, which is definitely a point in it's favor for me; beans have no place in chili, again, imo. Also comes in varying heat levels, again, a nice feature.
In 1994 I was a resident working in the Houston VA hospital. A man young to me now, old to me then, 50 ish, came in with a headache. I had to go in and tell him the CT showed a brain tumor. I told him how sorry I was and we would do everything possible for him. Dude was a typical vet, tough as nails and Texas down to business. He inhaled rather sharply, exhaled slowly and said “son, There’s only one thing I need right now. A can of Wolf, no beans. Can you do that?” Luckily we had them in the vending machines. Bought him one and a can of Dr Pepper. I realized that night that sometimes the best thing I you can do is give a guy what he asks for.