Is there a quiet compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by saleake, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Any noise from your guitar/cable will be amplified by a compressor because the comp is essentially turning down the louder stuff, then turning everything up to compensate. Start by making sure your guitar has as little noise as possible with shielding, efficient wiring, etc. and use a shorter, high quality guitar cable. It's also possible a buffer at the front of your signal chain would help, but if your comp is the first pedal then it probably won't make a difference.

Next, some circuits are noisy due to cheap components or poor assembly. Some circuits are inherently noisy. Dyna style comps can easily add noise, especially the cheap ones. I'm using a TC Hypergravity, no added noise. It is digital, though, which some folks don't like.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  2. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Once they get to pumping they all make noise.

3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I've been using a Diamond CPR-1 Compressor (full sized)... I never noticed any annoying noise... others say theirs makes noise... its a forum, everyone has a belly button and an opinion...

Best thing to do is take your guitar and your amp to a music store that has a good selection (NOT Guitar Center) and A/B several to see if they are the type of noise-free or less noisy that you are looking for.

I recently had to sell several of my nice pedals to survive, so I'm looking at replacing the bigger Diamond CPR-1 with the smaller Diamond COMP Jr. I can use all the space on my board as I can get.
    https://www.diamondpedals.com/products/comp-jr/

They aren't cheap ($199 for the Jr, $219 for the full-sized) but they do add a noticeable benefit to my sound. There are maybe 2-3 bells and whistles they left on the COMP Jr., something about a DIP switch inside... other than that the sound out of each is identical.

I leave the Compressor on 24/7 and rarely if ever adjust the knobs... so I am considering Velcro-ing it to the underside of my Pedaltrain Classic 2 board...

I am also curious about the JHS Pulp N Peel V4 Compressor (also a bit pricey at $229 MAP)... but my rule of thumbs with pedals is... you can save money on pedals used on the Internet... its a lot less risk than it is buying an amp or a guitar used online. So a lot of my pedals I have bought used and saved a lot of money.

Buy anything new... walk out of the store... immediately lose around 30%, it is now used... I rarely buy anything new, guitars, and amps included... and I'd rather hold the guitar in my hands than buy it sound unheard/play untouched off the Internet... that's just me.

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My Cali76 CD is my second most expensive pedal on the board. My Kingsley page is the most expensive. Together those 2 make the foundation for my tone on a clean amp.

5. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

3 pedal boards with 3 different compressors all right after the tuner first in line of effects. Xotic SP on the mini board, Keeley + on the bigger board and a Barber Tone Press on the board for hollow body guitars. No problem with noise from a compressor on any of them. Use good cabling is key. Each board has 3+ dirt pedals of various sorts. The bigger main board also uses a Boss NS-2 with all of the fuzz and drive pedals in a loop away from the time based pedals. This bigger board has an Xotic EP Booster, Mooer Slo-Engine, TC large Spark Booster Big Knob MKII 66, Big Knob Fuzz Space, Big Knob Wah Fix and a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe in that Boss NS-2 loop. The NS-2 output goes to a JHS Unicorn then to a TC Flashback and then into a Radial Eng box to split to two different amps. You can get as anal as you want LOL. Even P-90's sound quite through that board and it pushes a LOT of gain. Lately the two amps have been a Marshall Origin 5 with a Vintage 30 Marshall cab and a Blackheart HD-15 into a Marshall cab with a G12H-75 Creamback in it. Dead quite when I take my hands off the strings. Start with cables then go through your rig one pedal at a time to isolate where any noise is coming from. So start with the guitar straight into the amp adjust to taste, then add compressor adjust it and start adding your pedals to it. May be that a slight tweak of lowering a gain knob or level here or there ever so slightly will solve the noise issue. Dimmer switches, neon and florescent lights are notorious for being a noise culprit.

6. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

I have a Greer Lamplighter Optical, and it's pretty quiet. I have it right after my TU-3w. As most have said already, turning it up will raise the noise floor, but it's nothing that gets in the way.

7. timbovee

timbovee TDPRI Member

Sounds like the OP got his problem solved, but for anyone else reading, I haven’t noticed my Xotic SP make any noise. As others have suggested, it does work best at the beginning of the chain, or you’ll be raising the volume of the noise on your board as you squish your signal into a narrower band.

8. Toneblueshawk

Toneblueshawk TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Boss CP1X - it is very quiet and effective - it is the most transparent compressor in pedal format I have used (not that I have used a lot). It is much quieter than the Boss CS3 (including a Monte Allums upgrade) which I used for years - and it's easier to use. The inclusion of digital processing will put some people off - an analogue compressor it is not!

Daytona.57 and That Cal Webway like this.
  9. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

I built an Engineer’s Thumb too and it is very quiet, much quieter than the Ross/MXR clone. According to the designer Blencowe the Ross/MXR have there gain all the way up till the signal goes through the stage which adjusts the gain. Blencowe’s design works in an opposite manner. I found it to be quite transparent too.

I would like to try the Strymon compressor as it has some nice features.

Regards

Mark

Iago and northernguitar like this.
  10. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

I have an old DOD FX80b compressor.
    I keep the COMP knob at 11:00, RELEASE/ATTACK on full and LEVEL as needed.
    It puts out all the compression I'll ever need and it's dead quiet too.

11. axeslinger13

axeslinger13 TDPRI Member

Made in China, though... Just saying.

Mark1406 likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Korea.

20210421_210707.jpg

Mark1406 and northernguitar like this.
  13. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I found the Wampler to be super noisy.

15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

The Orange Squeezer type works well for those who don’t read the instructions.:D

northernguitar likes this.
  16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Ditto on the Keeley Tone Workstation. The Keeley Compressor is also quiet and fits in a standard space on a pedalboard.

KeeleyComp.jpg

northernguitar likes this.
  17. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Cool. Is that a DynaComp clone?

18. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had good luck with the Keeley but I run it a low settings, only occasionally and mostly with humbuckers.

Maguchi likes this.
  19. axeslinger13

axeslinger13 TDPRI Member

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

An anti-Asian bigot added to my ignore list. Yay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.