1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a price disparity on old Fender amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DADGAD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

PR OR TR? Who here has both? Not me, I've got a PRRI, but I'd love a TR!

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

What derail? Thread has covered F-250s for God's sake.

I've owned a SFTR, SFDSR (Dual Showman Reverb), SFPR with BF chassis + a MM HD130 (twin semi-clone). All good. Take yer pick.

The big Fenders are great & mine sounded fine at low volume gigs. I only sold 'em cuz I used to buy & sell stuff constantly.

I prefer the small amps now but nothing wrong with a Twin & to my player friends who know amps, plenty right with it.

3. telesteel

telesteel TDPRI Member

It's all about the money. There are some who make their money from small amps, and push their "virtues" mercilessly. Some of them even post often in this forum.

4. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Now the cat's out of the bag.

Now this just totally pisses me off, you're going to ruin things from all of us who have been trying to cause the bottom to fall out of the big amp market.

Now I don't know about you, but I've been looking forward to the day I can drive around and fill the bed of my F-250 with Twins from people who no longer want them. I take it you weren't in on it. Who forgot to tell telesteel? We'll make him gig with a Greta!

5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It seems pretty simple to me: folks who like old Fender tube amps got old so weight became an issue and they started playing not so loudly and at the same time PA systems got better so you can usually mic a small amp.

6. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

Who needs a pa when you have 1 ton of twin reverbs from the side of the road That cost less than a cheap powered mixer.

I have been going crazy because I can't justify it but there is a 67 blackface twin down the road for a grand. Sucks being broke

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

UHmmmm...:?: Ok I'm older , no denying it...but my band mate is WAY younger..by 30 years..he uses a TR exclusively, so there goes the AGE theory :rolleyes: Plus we do have a killer sound system, , Mains, Subs, a few strong power amps over 2000 watts each.....and that too is not designed for volume but rather clarity , AC guitar, 4 mics and perhaps drums and maybe E guitars..so it's the same concept...BIGGER and STRONGER is better but it's not about volume...( but it can be if needed )

8. zatoichi

zatoichi Tele-Holic

(Princeton Reverb weight not included)

You California guys are so spoiled! Around here, people either want list + (and are real jerks about it) or they throw it in the trash and you're the first one to drive by or you lose....

9. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I love my '65 Princeton Reverb and use it 99% of the time. When I need more I take my
    '64 Super Reverb. I play clean usually but during Jam night the Princeton can get some hair when turned up. I don't use pedals. Tweed Duluxe for that.

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, that's it. It's all about the money.

I keep tellin' myself that every time I hock my guitar to buy amp parts. :rolleyes:

12. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Well, questioning your integrity would be a fools errand in my opinion. I've consitantly praised your amps on this forum and on my blog site, but you don't hesitate to let me know when you think I'm full of crap.

I can't imagine anyone who makes amps in a one man shop (OK, this is an assumption on my part, maybe you've got scores of underpaid helpers in your "world headquarters" in New England) is making much money doing it. It's got to be mostly a labor of love. If it was all about the money, we'd be seeing elborate websites with "operators standing by to take your order" and full page ads in the guitar mags.

DISCLOSURE: I'm not connected with MUCHXS Inc. or any of its subsidiaries here or abroad and received no compensation in the form of either cash or merchadise for rendering my opinion.

13. T Prior

Thank God none of us thinks our own opinions are "the facts maa'm, just the facts"...

otherwise we wouldn't get along !

14. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

We get along?:twisted:

15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Sure. Just like when we discuss Catwoman vs Batgirl. :D

16. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Does Green Lantern know about this thread?

17. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

oops

18. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I heard a commentary that big amps like Twin Reverbs are not necessary any more with the better PA systems and mics. So keep spreading that around and that will help drop the price even more. I have a Peavey Classic 100 in storage I'll probably never sell. If I could pick up a TR for $600 I'd buy it and just put it in my studio. My Peavey Classic 30's sound good but the 100 is fuller sounding. The only TR I've played through was actually a Quad Reverb in a friends studio. He had old Altec Lansing speakers in it and the clean was very nice. If you want clean and don't have to move the amp much buy the TR.

19. T Prior

OR

If you want clean and don't mind moving the TR, which weighs less than an AC30, buy the TR !

OR

IF you want an amp that weighs a bit more ( agreed ) than others BUT can cut ANY gig, buy the TR

or

IF you want an amp that when you bring it home you don't have to start swapping tubes and speakers to get it to perform to your your liking, buy the TR

or

get a Princeton Reverb !:lol:

20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I dare you to crank that thing tonight. I want to see if I can hear if from my house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.