Is there a preferred string gauge for SG's?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chiogtr4x, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Just curious as I may ( try) to get an SG ( probably an Epiphone) next year and as a Fender player - and the longer scale, I go with 10-46, D'Addarios.

I want to exploit the shorter scale length of an SG in terms of string bending and vibrato, as well as just change up things for kicks.

Are 9-42 too light or do you stick with 10's?

Just looking for opinions ( I'm a blues, R&R and Country guy- not a hard rocker, but I play a lot of lead/double stops and rhythm)- all purpose guy that wants to bond with a ' Gibson style'- Les Pauls are too heavy and 335s are too big ( have owned both)

Have always wanted to spend real time
    with an SG ( have borrowed only for a few gigs)
    Thanks!

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I finally got tired of the hassle of trying to remember what each guitar was set up and intonated for and started running the same D'Addario 10-46s on everything. Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, everything. Life is much easier that way.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    PingGuo, jvin248, Tonetele and 6 others like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think I've got .09s on my SG. Sounds perfect to me.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Super Slinkies.jpg

stratoman1 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Always loved the look of that package, used them ( many) years ago , good strings!- then went up to ( green) Regular Slinkys ( 10-46)
    Thanks

hdvades likes this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

On a short scale guitar traditionally you'd probably want a bit thicker gauge than you use on a standard Fender scale.

I use mostly 9s on my Fenders (I have a Thinline and a short scale Duo-Sonic with 10s) but have 10s on my Epi/Gibson guitars.

Since you're looking to exploit the slinkiness of the short scale, maybe try sticking with 10s on the SG at first?

NewKid, Pasta Player and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

That's what I actually have been doing now for years (but only have a few electrics now ) D'Addario 10-46
    Thanks!

Frodebro likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

THANKS
    I was thinking that just since the scale length is already 3/4" shorter than that of a Fender, that going from 10's to 9's too, might be a compromise on getting acoustic energy/sustain out of the SG, therefore stick with the 10-46?
    But not really sure on that.

I really want to get an SG- Just a really curiosity factor, as it has been years since getting a new electric.
    I've always loved the look too

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FWIW, Angus Young runs 10s on his SGs.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Never knew what gauge he used, and he he has a hell of a controlled vibrato

( note: actually, specifically one of the reasons I'm attracted to an SG/ and of course other Gibsons with that scale length- the ability to create that vibrato- I just have never been able to get that out of my guitars- but that's just me, and my weakness; all you gotta do is listen to David Gilmour on a Fender!)

Frodebro likes this.
  11. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Recently picked up a 2014 SGJ and I absolutely love it! I tried 9’s on it at first and they just seemed too light for my heavy left-claw’s grip. So, back to 10’s like every other electric here.

Still not used to that Gibson strap button placement but the overall lighter weight of the thing is great. It’s like holding onto air compared to my #1 ten-ton Tele. (*I use Gilmour’s Signature GHS 10-48s on my Strat.)

Chiogtr4x and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I was strictly a Fender player for decades... Til I played my friend's SG one night... So light and sweet. So a few months later I ended up with a used but mint SG Special in Walnut with mini-humbuckers. It's so easy and slinky to play and really sings.

I play a hybrid of folk and country-rock and thought an SG might seem out of place for my style... But roll the volume knobs down a bit and you get this pure, warm, almost acoustic-y chiming sound that really works for me. SGs are wonderful guitars! Good luck.

Pasta Player likes this.
  13. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

SG? Ernie Ball #2221 - 10’s

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

10-52 in Eb. Works for both my Tele and SG.
    With a TOM bridge you can tweak the tension for whatever gauge you have though, so whatever floats your boat, just spend some days dialing that bridge and relief in, plays however you want it to.

15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

11-56 here, standard tuning

09 and 10 are like rubber strings to me

16. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

.010s will feel more slinky at the shorter scale length. I use .009s on my SG, but only because I have arthritis. I don't think .009s are too light for the SG, but they will require a lighter touch. If you are using .010's on your Fender now, I would stay with .010's on the SG (if it were me), I think you'll like it!

Chiogtr4x and Fretting out like this.
  17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After trying the classic 010-038 set EVERYONE used on the late 60s and 70s all other strings sound unbalanced and lifeless to me.
    I started using them exclusively on Fenders to balance the G heaviness that is inherent in them but they work amazingly well on Gibsons too.
    Give them a try.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    EllroyJames and Chiogtr4x like this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

10 to 46 is about the standard for all electric guitars with the option to go down or up to 9 or 11's depending on how much you play, physical restrictions, fret size etc.

Some guitars prefer heavy strings, some light. It pays to try them all on each individual guitar and stick with the one you like most.

Chiogtr4x and Fretting out like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I’d also say 11’s are fine but 10’s are probably okay too as I don’t think there is that much of a difference feel wise
    I’d just say slap 12’s on everything but that’s just my preference ( not a macho tone thing just what I started playing on 16 years ago) like El Marin says whenever I go into a guitar store I won’t know how a guitar is going to feel unless I string it up at home because 9-10’s are way too slinky

So depends on what you like if you like 10’s on your fender put 10’s on the sg if you don’t like it go whichever direction of gauge you’d like

20. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

For me in standard E tuning 11-56 on 24 3/4" scale lengths, 10-46 on 25 1/2".

rangercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.