1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a Penatonic "box" system for Open G Tuning?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by RL58, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RL58

RL58 TDPRI Member

I found some really good sites for major and minor pentatonics in Standard Tuning, but having a hard time finding sites in regards to Open G major and minor pentatonics that you can learn with a "box" system, any suggestions?

2. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

If you sit down and write it out, you'll have it in front of you within seconds, and will never forget it.

If it's handed to you, tomorrow you'll need to return to your notes.

3. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Ouch. So much for welcoming a new member with open arms.

4. DirtyDrew

DirtyDrew TDPRI Member

Sorry, cant help you on the open G scales. Do you mind sharing the site with the major and minor pentatonic scales that you found?

5. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

You say that...he's got a great point. If you write it out yourself it takes a little longer but you'll probably retain it much better.

Personally, I'm not sure the 'box' method works great for open G. It might, it might not. I've been playing open g slide more and more recently and find myself reaching for intervals more than for box/chord shapes. May just be me (I'm a beginner slide player).

6. RL58

RL58 TDPRI Member

7. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

I would suggest in open G learn the arps to a Gmaj. chord on each string , you can always play a Bflat instead of open B , slide to the 4 or 5 or what ever .The intervals are the same distance for the type of chord you're playing , on one string , no matter where you put the root . Way easier sliding on your lap. The open strings will always be the chord tone in G, D , B ,E what ever chord you are tuned to . I've been using a capo lately
    G tuning capoed the second fret is now A etc ....... As to the op , he's right , you know enough to write it out or you wouldn't ask the question . I would personally learn the arp. and scale over the Penatonic scale , I don't think Penatonically , because it tends to be a reflex instead of spontaneous composition.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

In DGDGBD (as well as GBDGBD, common to Dobro), note that the D, G and B strings are the same, which are commonly used for some "box" positions. You can get a good head start by just transferring what you already know for regular tuning for those three strings. And, though different notes, the interval is the same in the first for the bottom two strings (D and G as compared to E and A.)

Here's a site I like for finding scales as well as chords for any tuning, with the common ones programmed in. Might be a bit confusing at first, but really it's pretty easy to use. http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

How can there be a box since you moved the sides and bottom of the box around?

10. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Super good advice

11. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

You really need to think outside of the box mate. I'm not in the habit of insulting people. My words are born of experience. The Pentatonic notes don't change just because the tuning changes. Only the location changes. By the time he waited for an answer he could have looked at his guitar, worked them out, and remembered them forever. There are only five of them after all. ;)

12. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I didn't see a thing wrong with your comment. I agree and learned that on charts too. If I always have charts I never learn the stupid thing. If I listen I learn it.

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

All I can add to that advice is that once you've learned the notes, spend forever playing just in that position - with and without backing tracks - to get a feel for how it works in practice. The scale on it's own is not much use, you've got to find the phrases within - lots of cool stuff you can do with the open strings. Throw in some behind the nut bends once you've worked out what's cool to bend up to, try some hybrid picking and banjo rolls - it's a great position for those. Add in the "extra" notes, chromatic runs etc

Have fun with it!

14. ejmc

ejmc TDPRI Member

When you're tuned to an open chord, every open string is a good note, and when you change keys (maintaining the G tuning), a moveable barre with your pointer finger (that acts as a capo) will consist of good notes all the way across. So while the scale shapes in alternate tunings aren't taught in guitar lessons as commonly (without asking for it), the scale shapes often end up even "boxier" than the shapes in standard tuning. Some tunings give you an ethnic sound or a dissonant sound but the bulk of alternate tunings you'll run into are designed to make guitar playing EASIER, albeit for a more exact purpose, where standard is designed to play anything.

My point is, finding the box shapes should NOT be hard. You shouldn't even need to write it down, just go up the scale and if you have any ears at all, you'll know which intervals need to be halfsteps. if you don't have ears capable of this, i would recommend stepping back from alternate tunings and learning to find scales with your ears without a chart.

Notes in G maj: G A B C D E F#
    (to memorize how to build the major scale, just remember all intervals are whole steps, EXCEPT that a Maj3 is a 4b and a 7 is an 8b.)
    so...
    D G D G B E
    0 0 0 0 0 0 -> DGDGBE
    2 2 2 2 1 2 -> EAEACF#
    4 4 4 4 3 3 -> F#BF#BDG
    5 5 5 5 5 5 -> GCGCEA

break it into smaller pieces, move it around, change the 3 to 3b, scale it, arpeggiate it... those are your good notes for the key of G maj in open tuning.

15. ejmc

ejmc TDPRI Member

after posting that i just realised you asked for pentatonic and not the whole major scale. oops. just omit 4 and 7, or 3 and 7. the Cs and F#s or the Bs and F#s.

16. bigdaddyrock

bigdaddyrock NEW MEMBER!

i found a good site, but anyone who answered write them out is not allowed to use it. :D

it's much quicker to do these things visually, so you can instantly see the intervals and don't pollute your brain with accidental mistakes.

the pentatonic scales will be 1 3 4 5 7 octave for minor and 1 2 3 5 6 for major. look at the diagrams and makes your own shapes that feel comfortable.

http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

enjoy brother! i'm there working myself. no writing sloppy diagrams by hand. what a ridiculous waste of time that could be used practicing actual music! :(

that's like asking someone for sheet music and they say you'll remember it better if you write it out by hand.

17. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

OMG I am freaking out! That is the greatest site in the world. Want a print out of Ab lydian augmented in open C tuning? Bing! It's done. Oh I can't wait to go home and play with this. Modes upon modes - same notes yet they all sound different.

18. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Two year-old zombie -- we're not going to add any more posts. The thread will continue to be available in the archives.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.