1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a pedal that can emulate a boogie lead channel?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nosuch, Aug 10, 2016.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I normally play clean or with a hint of overdrive. But I have a gig coming that could use more really dirty tones. I have tried a mesa boogie mark 5:25 in the shop and found the dirt tones much more desirable than what I can achieve with any of my dirt pedals (Rat, TS-Clone, Box of Rock, Soul Food).
    Is there a pedal that can emulate that kind of tones?

Thanks?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh man, I love that amp. I've got a Tech 21 "California" to cop some Mark II tones which it does pretty well. It has super clean all the way up to Mesa Rectifier, so it might be worth a try. You can get the JOYO California for dirt cheap to first give it a shot.
    BTW, the Tech 21 California does not have the speaker disabler switch that most of the other "Character" series pedals have in version II.
    I play through a Fender 6L6 clean FWIW.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A Fulltone OCD boosted with your TS or Soul Food could get pretty nicely saturated. The OCD is the most realistic sounding dirt pedal I've ever used.

I have a MK boogie myself and use an OCD and a Fulldrive 3's boost side stacked as an alternative to my boogies lead channel. EQ the mids aggressively to get the various boogie lead tones.

leonard d rock likes this.
  4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Like Jupiter says, those Tech 21 pedals are good, I have the "British"version. They have a huge range of tones, so much so that it is easy to miss the sweet spot in a quick trial.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Rocktron Zombie.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well there is the footswitch to change channels on the 5:25.......and then there's the 5:25 itself. :p

I like my Fulltone OCD for versatility and that more uncolored overdrive. If that isn't enough you can boost it with a clean boost or add a little more overdrive in front of it.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Some suggest boosting one pedal with the other – maybe I can do that with the pedals I already have – TS, Rat, Soulfood, Box of Rock?
    Any suggestions for a setup and setting?
    On the 5:25 I liked the Mark IV setting best – very full sounding high gain.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

TS set to clean boost into,p box of rock might work... Then either cut or boost mids on amp depending on which graphic setting on the 5:25 you like/used.

I generally get a huge sound by cutting the mids on my boogies lead channel but lots of mids gives you the Santana type tone and natural mid rich boogie tone and pushes lead sound out in a band context.

You could always save up, or a second hand MK4 boogie rather than buy pedals :)

9. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

There's a DIY pedal out there called a "Dr. Boogey" that's very popular on the pedal forums.
    See here:
    http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/dr-boogey/

I breadboarded one a while back, and it worked as advertised. There is at least one assembled unit on eBay as of the date of this post for $65, and I have seen folks selling kits, as well as many folks contributing mods. It's a popular project, so there's a lot of discussion to be found around the internet.

Iago likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

boogie.jpg

leonard d rock likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. Mesa Throttle Box as Uriah notes or their Flux Drive.

The BoR (full lows) + Rat (Filter and Drive cranked pretty high) would be another way I think. The TS and SF clipping is different to my ear.

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Try to find an old Mesa V-Twin pedal? Haven't tried the Throttle box, but the V Twin was the bees knees.

nosuch likes this.
  13. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Try the mesa boogie vtwin or the wampler triple wreck.

nosuch likes this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There was another Mesa tube OD Pedal besides the V-Twin. I can't remember the name. My bass player has one. He let me borrow it and I didn't want to give it back.

How about something Dumble voiced like a Simble or ZenDrive mixed with a little Tube Screamer?

nosuch likes this.
  15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

To the OP, what kind of amp are you using now? IMHO no pedal or combination of pedals is going to sound as good as the lead channel on a Mesa Boogie, but you can get some fat OD tones by stacking a couple of OD pedals, or a boost pedal into an OD pedal.

One of the best pedal OD tones I've gotten was using a Xotic BB Preamp into a Fulltone OCD.

nosuch likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Studio 22 way back in the 1990's. I've never seen or heard a pedal that can emulate that harmonically insane, rich lead tone. It's not just the level of gain that you'd need to reproduce; it's the searing overtones that make it sound the way it does.

Obsessed and nosuch like this.
  17. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

There's a DIY project called the Dr. Boogie that does a pretty impressive ventriloquism act, aye

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Mesa Bottle Rocket. A one channel tube od/preamp pedal

nosuch likes this.
  19. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I use a Vibrolux for bigger stages and a blues jr for small gigs and rehearsals. I also often use backline amps – Fender Hotrods, Twins etc.
    That's why I thought that if I want to have that kind of tone in my life I better try a pedal.
    When I tried the amp in the shop, I was kind of blown away by the quality of the distorted tones. I've been avoiding overdrive from pedals more and more lately 'cause I had the impression that I just decrease the quality of tone. If I can and the gig calls for it I use natural overdrive from my amps. I think I will do that also for the upcoming gigs (it's a more rocking band than my own that's why I consider to use a dirtier tone a couple of times) – maybe with a boost in front of the cranked vibroverb?
    I thought that maybe higher end pedals would get me more into that league? But I am afraid you are right that

When I checked out the little boogie I didn't mess around much with the graphic EQ … trying all the modes was more than enough to handle and sounded good to me without the EQ.

By the way I have a history with boogies: I played a Caliber 50+ all through the nineties. But I remember that I used an Ibanez Mostortion and (when that gave up) the Rat more than the lead channel. Two years ago in a blast of nostalgia I bought another one – using it twice on stage but wasn't really happy with the tone – the lead channel sounded great at home but somehow disappeared when playing with the band. Maybe that would be that same with that Mark 5:25?
    As the caliber was the "budget" boogie then I have the idea that their posher lines maybe sound better and cut better through a mix. Very undecided here. Maybe I check the V-Twin or the newer boogie pedals ...

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I am afraid that in the end I will find out that's the truth. ;-)

3-Chord-Genius and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.