Is There a Guitar You Secretly Lust After

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

As far as a guitar I probably can’t afford...I’d love one of the original Flying V guitars, or maybe a 1st generation Firebird.

As far as guitars that (perhaps) don’t exist, I’d like a Les Paul that I like the “feel” of...I haven’t found one yet.

I have the Fenders I want, but it’d be cool to have one of Waylon’s leather-covered Telecasters or Muddy’s Red “Hoss”...

Skamania and 3fngrs like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I think I've been through enough "regular" guitars that I don't really lust after anything extra special. If I had the money to be buying $20K guitars I wouldn't be buying guitars at all, I'd be into cars.

3fngrs likes this.
  3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I saw Bob Dylan playing one back in the late 80s/early 90s. Didn't know what it was until years later.

I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s. There are a lot of guitars from those eras that I didn't like back then (because I was never into the pop music of the day) that bring back nostalgic feelings for me.

I have bought guitars like that once in a while but usually I end up playing them for a couple days and then sticking them in storage. A couple years ago I sold about 20 or 25 guitars like that. Luckily I had paid short money for them but it was nice to cash them out.

3fngrs likes this.
  4. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

3fngrs likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I used to lust after the 52RI, and the American Original 50's Teles. Then I played a "U neck" guitar recently - OMG, not my thing at all. So, now there is one Tele I like maybe a bit better than my Baja - maybe a bit - but it's almost twice the price. I think I'll stick with what I have.

I don't GAS for acoustics.

Actually, I guess there really are not any guitars I have GAS for. Maybe a maple neck American Professional. But, at $1400, I can't justify something that is maybe a bit better.

Did I mention maybe a bit?

3fngrs likes this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Hell No! It would be shockingly greedy and consumerist of me, to even contemplate a further addition to my current collection.....

guild-s-200-t-bird-antique-burst-365062.jpg
    $_86dg.jpg
    e740f8cf518eaab18537fb076c56c377.jpg

Skamania, 3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  7. SB Havidson

SB Havidson TDPRI Member

I would say either a pedalsteel guitar or National 12 fret (my back says no and so the neighbors).

3fngrs and Alex W like this.
  8. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm fortunate enough to have all the "tools" I ever needed to own outright for playing music, and I still own them.
    Teles, Strats, LPs, Martins etc., but always "needed" them to suit a need.

There are a few left that I have always wanted but can't find the need to consider as "tools":

- White Falcon - it'd have to be 60's model however... way expensive
    - Rick 12 String - Could see not needing an older one
    - ES330 - early 60's - Expensive
    - ES335 - early 60's - Nuts Expensive

3fngrs likes this.
  9. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

I have always thought of the Martin D45 as the Holy Grail of acoustics. Before I kick off, I will have one. It has to have the hexagon fret board inlays, not the snow flakes.

I'll be 65 later this year. I started a 3 year musical instrument purchasing moratorium in June of last year, so I have 2 plus years to go, but I want it to be my next one in 2021. I'll be a couple years from retirement then.

I'm thinking a trip from Ohio to Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin. My wife is from near Milwaukee and we visit her relatives from time to time. I know it's about 4 more hours from Milwaukee to Lacrosse, but Dave's seems like one of the best guitar shops in the world. Might be a used D45, but I can hang up my guitar searching then.

3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  10. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Wow!

The guitar I posted the link to in post #204, a trans black Epiphone Blueshawk is already sold out!

I guess dropping the price on the black ones from $599 to $366 cleared them out!

Actually, this is very good for me; temptation removed! ;)

Mike

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

A pre war Martin. Never going to happen because I don’t have the skill to warrant such an expense, but they sound beautiful.

12. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

I've always wanted an Gibson ES 175 but I just can't justify the cost.

13. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Yes it did. They now use roasted maple.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Go for it!

Skamania likes this.
  15. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Oh, I'd love to! But prices seem to have increased like crazy. As in doubled...at least when looking at shop prices, I wouldn't know about private sales since I stopped actively looking for this guitar.

Damn

Hey there GAS, old friend, where have you been lately? :rolleyes:

16. tedcousens

tedcousens TDPRI Member

1974 HS Anderson Madcat fills me with lust and GAS

17. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

'60s Guild F-50R. Bonnie Raitt and many others played one (with double pick guards). A '70s model would be a good second choice, but that Brazilian Rosewood........

18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Good question. My answer is "not really", maybe?

Sometimes I think the Parker Fly is cool. I will look for one, and zoom in on an add, then think "Nah. Whatever."

I love the thought of a Kirn; if I could justify spending the money though, I would. (Justify != Afford, just to be clear.) No secret lust there - I love T-Types, so... I may get a "better" T-Type, but I also don't want to spend two, three, four times as much to get "a little bit better".

There are a few guitars I think are cool, but would never pull the trigger on.

I have all the guitars I need right now - I only have three - and GAS is rare and never very strong. I am just lucky that way I guess.

We all look at guitars and think "That might be cool to own!" only to have that feeling quickly fade an hour later. At least that is my experience.

19. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Question: "Is There a Guitar You Secretly Lust After"

Answer: No. There are very many.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Not any more. Over 30 years I have filled my house with the guitars I always wanted albeit mostly not vintage.

Yes, I drive a horrible old car and wear crap clothes, use refurbished tech, sit on old furniture, don't buy art.... I'm happy. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.