1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is there a Gibson for me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thekillingjoke, Dec 9, 2007.

1. thekillingjoke

thekillingjoke Tele-Holic

I love Telecasters and Stratocasters. Or at least I love the V- and U-shaped neck ones. Even the C-shaped ones I can handle if I have to. But generally I can work my way around a Fender neck pretty well.

But the necks of Gibsons...not so. The ones I've tried haven't done anything for me. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Firebird VII, but man, that neck is wayyyyy too huge for my hand (it really broke my heart because it sounded so beautiful). Les Pauls, I just hate the sound of them. SGs, I ain't sure -- I recall playing one and feeling indifferent.

The best neck I've ever played had a 1 5/8" nut and a fat V-shape.

So, I don't know if anyone here can help to answer my question, but I might as well ask: Is there a Gibson for me?

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I've run into a few shapes of Gibson and Epi necks. My early '80s Les Paul Standard neck isn't very big at all. My '98 Les Paul Junior/Special is a real handful in comparison.

I played a '57 Goldtop Reissue once with an absolutely huge neck. Sounded great though.

I generally try to adopt to whatever neck I'm using. It's mostly a matter of what you do with your thumb. If you insist on keeping your thumb on the back of your guitar neck, it's gonna dictate what you can or can't play.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've got an old Kalamazoo Epi Riviera and it's got a great slim neck on it -- but I absolutely can't move back & forth between that & a Fender neck. Radius, scale, fret size & height all different. Confuses the heck out of my hands.

Before I got into teles full-time this was my #1 guitar & in some ways it's still a favorite. I wonder what would happen if you just committed to a Gibson neck for a month. I bet you'd end up liking it.

4. thekillingjoke

Yeah, I like to use my thumb to fret notes on the low E string sometimes. I don't exactly consider it a bad habit since I do it to play chords I wouldn't otherwise play.

I guess I'll ask a different question here: Are there any Gibsons with necks that fit the designation of "V-shape" or "U-shape"?

5. thekillingjoke

Well, maybe. Problem is, I played an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for a couple years before I switched to Mit. After I tried Mit, I hated that Les Paul with a passion. I never realized how horrible the neck felt, and I'm glad I sold that dud in a yard sale back in June.

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Maybe a Gibson expert would know, but I'm not aware of any.

It might be a little easier to take a Tele (or Strat) with a neck you like, and outfit it with the kind of pickups you want.

7. thekillingjoke

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess Gibsons just aren't for me.

Darn shame too. I really liked the sound of that Firebird VII.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just curious....what don't you like about the sound of Les Pauls?

9. thekillingjoke

I find Les Pauls too dark, too muddy, and too undefined for my tastes. I hate the sound of them.

A Firebird VII, on the other hand...man, the sound of that thing is just right.

10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

If you've got the kinda dough that will allow it you can get a Gibson you want, like the Firebird, and find someone who knows what they're doing to reshape and then refinish the neck for you. It's not an uncommon thing to do. If you've got the dough of course.

11. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Funny thing is, I've found every Gibson I've played in the last few years to have unacceptably tiny necks. I used to play an Epi SG and an Epi LP Jr. that had great, fat necks that I loved. Every high-dollar Gibson I pick up these days has a flat, toothpick neck. Can't stand 'em, or I'd probably own one. The last Gibson neck I remember liking was on an LP studio from the mid-90s.

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a feeling that's what you didn't like about them. That's a myth perpetuated by people who've never played a good one. Good Les Pauls are not muddy at all. My Les Paul sounds like a souped up Tele and will cut through and kick ass with the best of them - no mud. I used to think all Les Pauls were dark too but they're not. Mine is a Historic 54 reissue (p-90's and wrap tailpiece). It's also not heavy - barely heavier than my Tele. I think a lot of the rap on Les Paul's being muddy comes from 13 pound boat anchor Les Pauls from the 70's. In general I think the Historics are great, but if you're not into chunky necks, they may not be for you regardless of the sound.

13. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

I was pretty surprised at how much I really liked the Gibson LP Faded Doublecut that I had. The price was right, the P-90s were awesome (like a Tele on steroids), and the neck was almost perfect. Actually, the reasom I liked it so much was that it was very much like a Tele - articulate and comfortable. I sold it because I realized I could only play one guitar at a time, and the Tele fit my style better. But that LP Faded DC was as good a Gibson as I've seen.

Dean

14. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I knew a drummer who couldn't play without a specific pair of shoes.

Play what you like, but learning to play on a pile of different instruments can be good for you. If you have any goals for recording you may (or may not) have to get used to different guitars, for their different sounds at the least.

I thought the same way, now I have so many different guitars I don't notice a difference when changing from a fat '50s necked Les Paul or a 25.5" scale flat necked Fender.

15. thekillingjoke

I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give the p-90s a try. Chucky necks are all right. As long as the neck isn't obscenely wide with a D profile to it, I can handle it.

Someday I'd like to get a Firebird VII custom built, or have the neck reshaped to something more managable like someone mentioned earlier. But I'll have to line my pockets with more green first. Crap in a hat, I can only imagine what that would cost.

16. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

exactly! I have a '57 Goldtop historic that has a FAT neck, a historic Firebird VII, double cutaway Les Paul with P-90's, and Lots of teles, and strats...Love em' all.... The Firebird with the minibuckers is really a sweet guitar...when I first picked it up I didn't think I'd like it this much...really a great sounding guitar... and the Les Paul doesn't sound muddy at all...just beautiful cream! and the Tele's are always good to go for anything!;)

17. Pvee

Pvee Tele-Holic

Les Paul standards come in either neck profile as do the new Es-339 small body es-335 style guitar.

Commonly referred to as the 50's rounded neck or the 60's slim neck.

I think I said that correctly..!!!

Les Paul Classic's have the slim neck also.

18. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sounds like you want a Firebird. Try out as many as you can. I owned a '90 V and the neck was anything but huge, quite comfortable without being too slim. There is a HUGE learning curve to playing them though. The ergonomics are so whacky compared to anything else, especially Fenders, that it takes a while to really get the feel for it. I don't know how many Firebirds I threw down (not literally) in disgust thinking "how can anybody play these things?" But after spending some time with one it all came clear.

Now the cases...those are HUGE!!!

19. TeleConvert

TeleConvert Tele-Holic

I think there's always a good guitar there from every company (except maybe first act). Unless the quality control is so good that every one of a particular model is truly identical, you should be able to find a good one. Are you so used to single coils that you can't get used to humbuckers? It would be a fairly cheap option to have coil-tap pots installed so you could use the HBs in single coil mode. Just some thoughts...

20. TeleConvert

TeleConvert Tele-Holic

sorry for double post

I've got a '93 Les Paul Studio that feels like buttah! I'm with you on that Ben. I got mine used for $730, so I have a music dealer that's on my christmas list this year!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.