Is there a downside to leaving my pedalboard plugged in all the time?

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Title pretty much says it all. I'm assuming that they're not drawing much power at all, if they're not on. Is there any reason why I should unplug the board when it's not in use?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The blinky lights are super duper annoying. Other than that it’s probably fine. Exception could be if you have any tube pedals, those have pretty long lives but leaving always live would affect the life of the tube obviously. As far as electronics the pedal is bypassed, should be no problem for most pedals. Check, if you have pedals that get excessively warm in use I’d unplug when not using.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
If your dilemma is that you don't want to have to turn off both the amp and board, do what i do. Use a power strip with the board and amp both plugged into it and use the on/off switch on the strip to turn them both on. I don't like leaving power supplies on 24/7/365 if for no other reason that they are always on and hot which will wear on them over time. Caps will dry out quicker etc. I also don't like the remote possibility of a PSU melting down when i'm not home. About as unlikely as anything, but still why not just do what i do so nothing has power to it when not in use if for no other real reason than peace of mind.