Is there a company making a 7.25" to 12" compound radius neck for a telecaster?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 10tonBlueWail, Jan 23, 2020.

1. 10tonBlueWail

10tonBlueWail NEW MEMBER!

Seems really hard to find, so maybe it is a bad idea. Supposedly Fender makes one, but I can't find the model. Thanks.

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds interesting!

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I know it’s an option for a custom shop custom order. Other than that, I doubt Fender offer it on a regular production model.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think maybe MusiKraft makes it? not sure... saw it somewhere...

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would be very interested in this. I just checked Warmoth and it doesn’t seem to be an option there, although they have most any other custom compound radius you might want.

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've inquired about this at Musikraft. Actually, I asked them if they could do a 7.25"-14" radius. Basically, they're answer is, if you want standard nickel-silver frets, they probably can for an upcharge if it isn't one of their standard radii. If you want SS frets, the answer is no. They buy the SS fret sets pre-cut and pre-radiused, so they can only do the compound radii listed. They used to offer 9.5"-12", I have one of those necks with SS frets, and a 10"-14" with SS frets.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Musikraft makes 7.5>9.5 or 9.5>12 compound

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Probably not, because it would fall well out of the range of the ideal radius difference between the nut and the end of the board – “ideal” meaning the difference that causes a compound radius to work best, as intended.

There are calculations that tell you the ideal radius difference to use, based on scale length, string spacing, etc. 7.25”-9.5” is pretty ideal. So is 10”-12”. I believe I have seen 10”-16” offered too.

IIRC, the ideal changes are percentages, rather than absolute differences. Therefore the higher the numerical radius, the more difference will work (why 10–16 works well, but 7.25 to 12 doesn't).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The two Musikraft compound radius necks I mentioned above both play great, and the SS fret work was perfect. I didn't have to do any fret leveling.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Warmoth offers a 10-16 radius, pretty standard. I think any other conical radius would be extra.

I agree with EsquireOK that there's limits as to how radical the transition from one radius to another can even be, and still work.

Tommy Rosamond (USACG of yore) used to do a fabulous 9.5-12 conical radius. Maybe the remnants of his crew (over at Best) have something to offer.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try this guy. He's making a 7.25-9.5 compound radius tele neck for me right now. His pricing is very competitive too. And he does beautiful work. Check out Guitars by Steve Parker on facebook for more of his work. No affiliation.

https://parklaneguitars.com

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.