Is there a 24 3/4" scale telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LeftyAl, Feb 28, 2016.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I like the scale and width of my 335 neck. I'd like to try a tele out with that type of neck. Just to see if I like the feel.Are they produced by Fender or is that a DIY project?Just wondering.I doubt that I would ever make one(don't have the tools)

2. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

You can order conversion necks from Warmoth.

3. simond

simond Tele-Holic

Check out JA90. Set neck telecaster thinline with P90 pickups and "gibson" scale. Just checked the specs. Current 335 57 dot reissue has slightly wider nut (1.687" vs 1.65") and 12" radius vs 9.5. Your 335 may have narrower neck depending on when it was made or which era it is emulating if it is a historic reissue. We like our JA90. A Fender made in Indonesia (Cort factory?)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. PC_Hater

PC_Hater Tele-Meister

Warmoth do 24 /3/4" necks for Telecasters.
    Buy a finished neck and all you have to do is swap the tuners and then unbolt the neck of the Tele and bolt on the Warmoth neck.
    Other companies might do them too.

5. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have two warmoth conversion necks and I love them. They bolt right up and required only minimal intonation adjustments.

I finished both with Tru Oil which is very clean and easy. One of the necks has a rosewood fretboard, the other maple. The neck with rosewood came out perfect. The maple neck was a huge pain to do without building too much around the frets. Lots of fine coats and lots of sanding and I still got a little build up. Fortuantely(?) I need to do a fret level on that neck as there is a hump around the 16th fret.

Now that I think of it, both of them could use a leveling as there are a couple of high ones on the rosewood board as well. I guess the moral of the story is don't expect to bolt one on and play right out of the box, even if it is finished. You probably will have to do a little fretwork.

6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

The Shoreline Gold Squiers from a few years ago are 24 3/4.

Attached Files:

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

If you decide to make your own here's the pdf. I used this for one of my builds and it works great - really happy with it too.

Rex

Attached Files:

8. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

You'd also have to relocate the bridge....

9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

No you don't , using a conversion neck you do not have to relocate the bridge .
    From Warmoth site :

"Conversion necks are a Warmoth innovation that allow you to easily change the scale length of your 25-1/2" bolt-on guitar to either 24-3/4" (Gibson® length) or 28-5/8" (Baritone length). They work by lengthening or shortening the distance between the bridge saddles and the string nut. Moving the bridge is not necessary. "

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth doesn't call them "conversion necks* for nothing..."has anybody seen the bridge?"

11. drive-south

drive-south TDPRI Member

I want a Warmoth conversion baritone neck. Right now I'm shopping for a donor Tele body for the project.

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

USACG also does conversion necks and I think (think) Allparts does too, but I might be wrong about that one.

13. davewrites

davewrites TDPRI Member

Is there a 24 3/4" scale telecaster ?

This^^^^^^^^

You can also buy them used pretty darned cheap. The whole guitar would probably cost less than a Warmoth conversion neck. I remember a store blowing out a couple of these for under $200 each.

Color was nice too, not to mention semi-hollow, which worked well with the slacker string tension to keep it from being too woolly .

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It was the last Fender I purchased...

15. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Out of interest - do these instruments have the body size slightly reduced as well as the scale length? Everything looks in proportion to me, rather than looking like the bridge is just pushed up towards the neck.

16. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Billy Gibbons has a bunch of custom Tele style guitars with Gibson scale lengths. Check out the Bully Gibbons Esquire thread.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. It's called an SG. :)

18. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Appreciate the PDFs share Rex, is that a straight up 24.75 or a conversion template? I've been thinking of doing some conversion necks but my hadn't the ambition to layout a template yet.

19. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't think only Shoreline Gold Thinlines were 24.75" scale length. They were on guitars in other colors too. The common aspect is that only rosewood fretboard guitars have the shorter scale length.

Here an old link showing a different color in 24.75", not sure how many other colors were offered.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-thinline-electric-guitar

20. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

There was a Bullet Tele a year or so ago...very short-lived. It supposedly had a 24.75" scale.

Rondo has some Douglas models with 24.75" scale for cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.