Is the tube screamer still relevant?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

no TS5 ?

2. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

I feel so old; I think that a fuzz box is the only pedal that anybody really needs. I made money while in high school building and repairing fuzz boxes -- and repairing car 8 track players.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I think you’re a bd2 guy or gal, ts guy it gal, rat guy or gal, ocd guy or gal, amp guy it gal or boutique guy or gal. I have a ts clone on my small board, and either it works or it doesn’t. It, to me, needs a bit of volume to work. It’s a screamer. I’m really a blues driver guy.

I think they are relevant, because you use whatever suits you. I’m betting there’s a lot of old pedals, bought in 1980, that still get used.

4. Neon Soul

Neon Soul TDPRI Member

Anybody really needs?

What if you are in a cover band that plays songs that are based around delay? I'd say that guy needs more than a fuzz.

No fuzz box in the world is going to be able to do that.

cyclopean likes this.
  5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Music is built up out of sounds. Sounds can and often do have an emotional impact on people. If you play an electric song on acoustic guitar many people will still recognize the song. If your cover band's vocalist doesn't sound exactly like the original many people will still enjoy it and sing along in their alcohol fueled quest for ... eh... you know.

To my mind the question is more a matter of % of influence on the end result. Cause and effect. If you hear the original recording and you're familiar with it, that is one thing. If you are not familiar with it but you still like it, that's another thing.

How far off the original does your rendition have to be before people say, "hey wait a minute... this version sucks!"?

My conclusion (never having owned a tube screamer) is that it's probably way more relevant to the guitar player and other guitar players who are analyzing said person's tone and performance than the average bar patron.

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I have the KTR. I like it because it sounds like there's an SM57 already on the amp. I don't really use it as a loud or strong drive. It does make me see that there's some room for 'last 1%' pedals, but I'm not really into the idea, either. There's always a little muck around these things that you just don't get when you have a guitar straight into the amp. It's not a big deal if it's there, but I like my last 1% to be that the muck isn't there.

7. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I always like to have a TS type pedal engaged for leads to get a spike in the upper mids.

Even with a Vox amp (or any EL84-powered, mid-heavy amp), a little screamer at stage volume never hurts to help with cut and sustain.

Today I am getting all my tones from my Helix, but my “virtual rig” follows a similar formula:

Clean Vox AC30 into a 2X12 open back AlNiCo blue loaded cab and a closed back 2X12 with Greenbacks.

In front of the amp I have an Xotic EP Booster always on, a Klon for medium gain and an OCD for high gain. For leads I have all pedals on at once and the Klon model has a mid boost sort of like a TS. I also have a Parametric EQ at the end of the chain that boosts the mids on my lead setting.

So, I guess the answer is that, IMO, the job of the TS is an important one, but there are many, many ways to accomplish that goal in today’s world.

8. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I think getting to the sound you want is all that matters. Therefore, it is relevant.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I think we get too caught up on, "I have to have a Les Paul/SG, a Stratocaster, a Telecaster, a Gretsch, a Hollow-Body, a Thinline/Semi-Hollowbody, an acoustic, an acoustic-electric and a resonator so I have all my bases covered...maybe a long-scale bass and a short-scale bass...I also need a Fender tube amp, a Marshall, and a Vox to cover all the amp sounds...and of course, an overdrive, a Wah, a contingency of modulation pedals (phase shifter, flanger, chorus, Leslie simulator) and both a digital and an analog delay..."

Play what you got. Limiting your pallete often inspires more creativity. Develop your own sound and style--don't worry about how Player XYZ pr Player ABC does it.

I've successfully played guitar without owning a chorus pedal since 1989, since I really don't like/want/use that effect...I've never found the "right" distortion pedal, either (even though I'm still looking).

If a Tube Screamer isn't relevant to your style, don't use it.

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

No TS9?

leonard d rock likes this.
  11. leonard d rock

the two on the lower left corner seem to be sd-9s rather than ts-9 no?

yup quoted from the analogman site:

Tube Screamer Family Photo
    Here are some Ibanez pedals. The TS808s are seen in the middle. You can see one of the Narrow Euro TS-808 pedals, it's the leftmost of the TS-808s. The top row center 4 knob pedals are the ST9 Super Tube Screamers. At the top left are a pair of TS-10 pedals. The bottom left are SD9 Sonic Distortions. The bottom right is the original orange Ibanez Overdrive, with the slightly later OVERDRIVE-II on it's left, with the last version OVERDRIVE-II one more to the left.

very curious omission IMO if you're presenting the history of the tubescreamer

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  12. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Of course. All gear is for the players. The casual listeners don't know a Les Paul from a Squier Bullet, or a tube screamer from a wah pedal.

I concede it would be tough to pull off "do you feel like I do?" without a voice box.

dlew919 likes this.
  13. leonard d rock

Question. did any of the ts-808 models come stock like the one in the pic below with the round true bypass switch? it seems all pics like this are captioned modded ts-808. what i'm asking is the switch is installed very cleanly with no trace of the square foot switch which is what is shown in stock models

[​IMG]

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Me too. I hate all "green" Overdrives.
    Muddy, middy, honky sound.

15. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

they don't come with a round foot switch. that said, the footswitch hole is round. if those modders would have spent the extra 20 cents, they could have even had a nice shiny metal washer instead of that ugly white plastic one which I consider to be the very visual mark of the lazy and inexperienced pedal hack.

leonard d rock likes this.
  16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Last night I was playing with a pickup band. I discussed gear with the other guitar player before. He said: it's a small room, bring a blue jr. and you are good to go. But then these guys were loud! I had the blues jr. cranked but still wasn't loud enough for solos. Then I hooked up the tube screamer and the mid boost put my solos up front. IMHO: Still relevant.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The TS will remain relevant as long as 800hz does.

nosuch and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last night our band was incredibly loud. The band before us was so loud that it was painful with earplugs, and I had to wait outside. We were QUIETER than them, but still way too loud. Fortunately, I was using a Dapper Valeton Mini which has a TS based OD. So I could hear myself sometimes. I know it's punk rock (in my case), and maybe I'm too old. But when I can't hear anything that's going on, I imagine the crowd can't either. Oh well.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.