Is the tube screamer still relevant?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Every guitar player knows what it is and what it sounds like
    TDPRI has a spazillion threads dedicated to it
    They are in every guitar store's pedals case
    Every major builder has a pedal based on it

So to answer the OP's question, yeah.

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I got a TS 10 when they first came out, figured a distortion
    pedal might be cool:) Love to kick it on when playing slide.
    It just seems to work for me, never tried any other distortion
    pedals.

Probably all depends on what you like~had fusion guy play
    through my rig, and he didn't like the TS, couldn't get
    enough distortion out of it?

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ This. I'm certainly not claiming the Tube Screamer is the be-all end-all of overdrive pedals. But in the right application with the right amp it's very useful.
    I've actually circled back around to my TS-9. Like a lot of folks I got one a few years back because I "had" to own a Tube Screamer. Tried it for a bit and then, mostly because of user error, put it away and moved on to other pedals. When a little older/wiser Retro went back to my Hot Rod Deluxe, I rediscovered the TS and now I finally get it. If I get my Vox AC-15 repaired I have no doubt I'll go back to the Hot Cake for it. But with my Fender amp, the TS-9 is doing a great job. As codamedia mentioned, they cut through a stage mix when other pedals don't. And like nosuch pointed out, the TS loves a neck pickup. I really like my Open Road for the bridge PU, but you don't dare switch over to the neck with it. The good old Tube Screamer likes 'em all though. :cool:

joe_cpwe likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Love the TS T- Shirt! does it come in 5X?
    ( I'm a big boy...)

2blue2 likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It is interesting that there have been so many popular variants. Is that because the originals were not quite right?:twisted:

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

7. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Closest thing I've had to a Tubescreamer was a Boss SD-1, and I could never get on with it.

I like to "set and forget" overdrive pedals, leaving it on all the time, varying the level of dirt with my volume pot, so any overdrive I use is going to be part my basic tone. Therefore I don't want anything that cuts the lows out. Kicking in the SD-1 felt like replacing my amp with a portable radio.

After a few different overdrives, eventually I settled on the Boss BD-2, and haven't really looked back. I run it just a touch above unity, to give a slight boost, with the gain at 12 o'clock and the tone at 9 o'clock. Once on, it stays on and it cleans up beautifully by rolling back the volume.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a pedal I've heard people make sound good, but I never could.
    ALTHOUGH...I use mine all the time with a Beano Boost or lowly E-H LPB-1 right after it, and it's freakin' awesome.
    I've never found a single pedal that even comes close.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Yes, relevant in many genre's.

When I played heavier music and was first introduced to a TS, I had no use for it and thought it was useless. I used the Marshall and that's all I needed. At the time I was given a TS-10 by my bass player and it sat in a box.

When moving away from that Marshall, and heavier sound, I found that a clean, slightly breaking up amp w/ the TS-10 was an excellent sound, then I got a reissue TS-9, then was given an '83 TS-9 by another bass player friend, then bought a TS-7 when various things went broken (led, switch & pot respectively) on the other three.

For me, I can use one in front of a cleanish/slightly breaking up amp as a my overdrive tone and then use a channel switch/boost for leads. I have also used a TS as the boost in front of an already driven tone for the mid-hump when doing lead work.

I think they are great and acknowledge there are other flavors of overdrive that are good and can use them too. BUT I believe the TS is relevant and still litter stages across the US for blues, country, roots rock, rock, christian...you name it.

Most Ibanez Tube Screamers sound pretty similar so paying more than $50-$100 for one seems unnecessary. All the variants are mostly Ibanez squeezing more $$ out of the winning pedal they created decades ago.

bftfender and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This premise makes no sense.

waparker4 likes this.
  11. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I think it is absolutely still relevant, otherwise pedals like the Bonsai wouldn't be in production. There are definitely more options now but the influence the TS has had on the pedal industry is undeniable. Is it as ubiquitous? Probably not, the boutique market has really grown in the past 10 to 15 years, but it will always be relevant.

12. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Another in the minority, I'm fixing an old ts7 for a friend which has a ts9 mode (previously modded to be a ts808). It's my first experience with these types of pedals and it sounds really unnatural on both settings.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

I like my overdrive scooped totally opposite, with more bass and clarity. Never been huge on mid-range overdrive.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  15. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

still made and sold, so....

on the other hand, I don't like them. there are better pedals

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I continue to use the Tube Screamer because it's not near as middy as some others. I cant stand too much mids. But I run gain near 0. But for years now I use the TS9DX because in Turbo mode it adds big lows in the mix of mids. Kinda like a big thumpy Marshall stack, but well defined. Perfect for the SRV thing. I cant use anything else much anymore, except for leads only. The DX gets you the normal TS modes also.

If you want middy smooth with good adjustments the Red Snapper was a very nice pedal. If you want tons of gain and mids the OCD was that.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Until I replaced it with a BBE Green Screamer, a TS-5 was my go to TS. I have a newer TS-9 that I think I plugged in once and it has been in the box ever since. They do a thing that is predictable so you know what you're going to get out of it. Do you need one? Probably not. But then again, I'm not in a band where I have to try to make my guitar sound just like someone else's. How many songs do you play that have to sound like someone with a TS?

But yes, a lot of people still use and love them.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Of course a Green Screamer is a TS variant.

19. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Helping Fender cut like a Marshall for decades...Marshall Amp into proper speakers that breakup for your particular sound and using vol and tone knob on guitar is all the od one ever would need...in my world anyways...ps...LP into that marshall

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, who else is going to get to the bottom of the whole TS relevancy thing?

zippofan, 2blue2, karpis and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.