Is the tube screamer still relevant?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

For the most part, I doubt it.

karpis and gitold like this.
  2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Funny this thread should come up considering I just got a Keeley red dirt mini. I have gone around and around on the old dirt carousel and keep coming back to tube screamers and their derivatives. Don't like klones, BBs or rats, the 250 doesn't cut for me. The tube screamer somehow works although I don't prefer the stock circuit.

The BB Preamp is also a tube screamer at its core.

I think it's still relevant considering it's the heart of probably at least a plurality of overdrives on the market, including the Fulldrive, and others

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

That Sounds like my TS-9DX!

4. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

It’s nice to have a range of drive sounds. Mid hump drive is a nice complement to mid scoop amps. Below is the Keeley True Bypass TS808.

1E4F6AFF-3FF5-4215-B940-B412C54CE18D.jpeg

2blue2 and kookaburra like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

For me is essential. I always have a TS8080 ON. I just set the amp clean and get the TS doing its thing.

I had about 17 different versions, clones, TS9, TS9DX, analog etc... After all that time and money, sold everything and just keep a TS808 and the AnalogMan TS9 that sounds exactly the same (now is used by my band mate).

The rest do the thing and in a band context differences are subtle and missed... so, just chose one

The EH East River Drive is also the best clone but I had some troubles with the pots quality. They fell out but that's another history

6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I genuinely thought that was a box of Kleenex at first glance.

The TS is good at helping big sounding amps cut through. These days people are more likely to be gigging with a 20 watt 1x12 than a Twin or a Marshall stack and it’s very easy for a TS to make that sound nasal and thin. Essentially the problem is people using them for a job they aren’t very good at doing.

bftfender and eclecticsynergy like this.
  7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

What is relevant?

You can sound anyway you like. To me in most situations (and with situation I mean playing with a band) a ts-style overdrive works better than the boutique pedals I bought out of curiosity (and for a lot more € then my cheap ts knock-off), because they were supposed to sound like ______ (fill in whatever amp floats your boat).
    The bass cutoff and mid hump are actually advantages in a live situation when you play like a fender amp and tele on the neck pickup like I mostly do. While the dumble clone or marshal clone pedal gets mushy, the ts-style overdrive gives me what I need: crisp lower strings and some grease on the higher notes.

Granted: It does not sound as good with the bridge pickup which is crisp by itself. And it sure won't win awards in a bedroom player situation. But there is some variety for that, too.

8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

For what they do, they're still doing it very well. With a driven amp there's nothing quite like the TS and that's the reason it's the most copied OD ever. Nowadays many people want an OD that's more amplike, or sounds good at bedroom volume, or has flatter response. There are a thousand pedals out there that do other things. But for a known quantity to give us oldtimers exactly what we want and expect at volume, the venerable TS rules. I still have the one I bought in 1980; it's a longtime favorite that I've used for literally thousands of gigs and sessions. It's valuable now so I got a Maxon 808 to knock around. And I have a Pale Horse for a more flexible take on the same circuit.

Sure, there are plenty of times that I'll choose something else. But when I step on the TS I know exactly what I'm going to get.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It's the most copied and cloned pedal of all time. Of course it's still relevant. It's like asking if the D28 is still a relevant acoustic guitar.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I gifted this t-shirt for Christmas, to the girl singer in our band.

"I love it," she said when she unwrapped it. "What does it mean?"

"It's a t-shirt that pays homage to the Ibanez Tube Screamer, an iconic guitar distortion pedal from the 1980's."

"Oh. That's cool. I thought it was some sort of naughty sexual thing, in which case I really love it."

"You can take it anyway you like it. I'm sure there were more than one guitar player who got laid after playing a set thru one."

"No," she reminded me, "Guitar players never get laid. It's the drummer who gets all that girls."

"True, this."
    :(

[​IMG]

zippofan, karpis, 3fngrs and 7 others like this.
  11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

I guess it is all in how you use anything....

awasson likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great premise. It's great in the right circumstances. I would think that there are plenty of pedals that will cut through a band mix.
    Personally I have never been a fan, having owned three including the little tank/bug design. I much preferred the BD2. I have posted this before but it's amazing how similar OD pedals can sound when A/B'ing them and you adjust the gain, level and EQ. The best result I ever got out of the TS was to increase the level and lower the gain.
    I think you find an OD that you like and learn how to tweak it for your personal sound or to emulate the various drive tones you need.

codamedia likes this.
  13. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

It was never relevant to me. Still the same. Had one of the originals. Hated it, gave it away. Just not to my taste.

14. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

I always come back to a TS. They just work. A little grit in the right places.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Obsessed and RetroTeleRod like this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My first exposure to a TS was a friend who used it (instead of the built-in overdrive) into the clean channel of a MESA/Boogie half stack. To this day I don't get it. It made that beautiful amp sound like a toy.

17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Green rhino is a nice TS varient with 12 db 100k and 500k freq knobs.

Seem like great solutions for those who dont like the traditional bass cut/mid hump.

18. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

TS style pedals are relevant with Fender style amps.
    Otherwise, not so much, if you ask me.

JustABluesGuy and kookaburra like this.
  19. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Depends on your sound. It is very much relevant to me. If you don’t want yours, I will gladly add it to my small collection of commercial pedals. I’ve built many straight clones for many people.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

There is no must-have pedal. If something were necessary, it would be built-in. Like volume knobs, frinstance.

Get pedals you like. Don't get pedals you don't like. (Obviously?)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.