Is the Tube Screamer only good with a BF/SF Fender amp???

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Might depend on how you adjust the mids on your Marshall or whatever mid forward amp.

A Super Reverb has a mids knob but it might only bring the mids up to the equivalent of the Marshall mids knob at noon, IOW BF Fender amps with mids knobs can never be set as mid humped as a Marshall.
But if you cut the mids on a Marshall you can use the non adjustable mids boost of the TS without the nasal mids congestion I hear with my Marshalls set for the amount of mids I want to hear, then adding more mids from the TS.

jayhaknavy02

TDPRI Member
Absolute fan of the Lone Wolf Fat Glass II overdrive. Mild to wild, does a beautiful edge of breakup thanks to using a real tube that’s driven at appropriate levels. I’ve been impressed with the tone especially with solid state amps where it adds warmth/tube sounds so I keep it in my chain even if not using it to overdrive at significant levels. For the videos below the most recent is the Fat Glass II and the other two are the original version. The mid boost in the II addressed the almost fuzz like affect you would get width high levels of overdrive in the original with a mid-boost. You can also change the tube (12AX7) if you want to shape/change the tone further to suit.

Last edited:

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Tubescreamer needs to hit something already a bit dirty, whether it be a cranked amp or another od pedal, IMHO.

They are fantastic for goosing something over the edge. Not so great as standalone dirt.

A classic iconic tool. YMMV.
I’ll take it a step further and say it’s made to goose tubes, not diodes. I’ve never heard a TS-style OD sound good on the SS amps I’ve tried them on.

Muadzin

Tele-Meister
Ola Englund basically uses it on ALL his amps as his standard go to overdrive booster. So I reckon its good for every amp.

I’ll take it a step further and say it’s made to goose tubes, not diodes. I’ve never heard a TS-style OD sound good on the SS amps I’ve tried them on.

But a lot of hi-gain amps use diodes for their distortion, and you can use it on those amps too.

Outside of a mix it may not sound that great on a mid heavy amp. But if you use it when playing a solo it will help cut through. I always use a TS or a SD-1 with the gain turned down and the volume up as a lead tone in a mix.

Unless you play exclusively at home how it sounds in a mix should be your main concern. Good tone in the mix, **** tone on your own? Infinitely better then the reverse.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I have never really been a fan. Bought my first Screamer-type (clone) just recently after decades of playing. I can only get a desirable sound out of it with my Super Reverb. Any other amp that is somewhat mids-forward just does not seem to pair well with it. Is it just me?

Scott

It’s not just you.

They are made with Fender scooped mid bases in mind. I tried to like mine with a Marshall amp, but it never really worked for me either.

My old TS9 is sitting on the shelf. If I do ever need a TS style OD, I will use my SD-1 instead. It uses clipping that’s more pleasing to my ears, and it’s EQ’d better to me as well.

I’m not using mid scooped amps, so it’s also on the shelf as well.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Generally I have found its better with amps lacking mids than amps that emphasize mids. I also find that the amp should be near breakup and the pedal pushes it into the zone.

I personally have never like the pedal with "mids" heavy amps or even clean ones for that matter - it wants the tubes to be cooking a little bit for it to stir the sonic pot.

EDIT: I prefer TS-style pedals that have a bit more low end than the stock circuit, i.e. Fulltone FD2 or Maxon VOP-9.

Have you ever tried an OD-3?

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Personally, I like a mid-pushed tone in my amp. It cuts through better and sounds better in the mix (though not so much on its own). Being that all my amps are already middy, adding more mids never sounds good to me. I have tried to like screamers, but I just don't bond with them. On Marshall and Vox amps, the TS just doesn't do it. I even tried the JHS Moonshine V2, the one with the blend knob, and ended up selling it.

I think they sound awesome through Fenders, but I don't have one. So no screamers for me.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have never really been a fan. Bought my first Screamer-type (clone) just recently after decades of playing. I can only get a desirable sound out of it with my Super Reverb. Any other amp that is somewhat mids-forward just does not seem to pair well with it. Is it just me?

Scott
Me too, for most Screamers. But I have used the TS9DX on Turbo mode for over 10 years and it's killer! Bigger low end, deeper, and not all mids. I doubt any OD pedal will ever take it off it's throne. I've tried.
I once bought an expensive boutique TS 808 with a special chip etc. Didn't like it at all.

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
TS9s and Boss SD1s work best with your amp, not for your amp. Provide a mild to big volume boost and minimal drive settings. They make whatever your amp does sound bigger and tighter because it reduces some of the low bass and also pushes the mids so your guitar cuts.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I came here to mention the Pete Thorne video as well. The only way I have ever gotten a TS to sound decent at home volumes with any type of amplifier is to keep the gain around 9 o’clock and crank the volume on the pedal.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
You could also try a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder or the clone thereof. The Body control on it is a mid control before 12:00... and a treble control after that. Adds another dimension to the TS world.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
The more mids the amp has the more important it is to get the amp cooking into some of it’s own breakup, and the more important it is to turn the gain down on the pedal and the volume on the pedal up.

The clean channel on my Orange breaks up really late compared to a lot of similar size amps, the Tube Screamer sounds pretty bad on that clean channel. But the TS is pretty hard to beat into the dirty channel. It’s an Orange so there are lots of mids no matter what.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Straight into an amp, I've never been able to gel with the TS sound even when paired with my Fender Twin. In theory adding some mids to the scooped Fender tone makes perfect sense, but the TS circuit just seems to make everything sound muddy and ill defined. It could be that my "TS" is the Voodoo lab Sparkle Drive -- maybe it's not a great version of the TS circuit. Instead of a TS, I prefer to use a Klone (Wampler Tumnus) which I find adds some beef back to the scooped Fender tone while still preserving the clarity I like.

I do still keep my Sparkle Drive around because it's generally a cool pedal, and because I do find having a mid-hump TS style OD useful for stacking with other pedals.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
With my Marshall Origin 20H, I personally think that a stock TS just doesn't sound that good. There's so much bass cut with a stock TS that it makes the resulting mid peak with the Marshall sound overemphasized, even with the gain/drive on the pedal set low.

Conversely, I can take an OD with less of a mid hump (translation - has more low end, but w/o going overboard), and I can even run the gain/drive higher, and it will sound way better than what a stock TS will give me.

Also, for anyone running a TS with the gain/drive at zero and the vol/level above unity - IMO there are better pedals for that. I have a DIY build of a Catalinbread Naga Viper that is a great non-flat EQ booster - it's utterly great with a dirty amp that has lots of mids.

Regarding the comment about 'goosing diodes' - you can't goose diodes, as they are passive devices. It is possible to boost SS stages to where they will overdrive gracefully, but that needs to be designed into the circuit. I boost OD circuits with boost pedals all the time, with great results. If it's an older SS amp that's mostly limited to just sounding good clean, I'd just do pedal stacking into a clean amp. This is basically what you have to do with an amp like a Twin Reverb, Dual Showman, or HiWatt 100 watt head anyway.

Regarding using a stock TS with a BF/SF Fender, I don't really care for that, either. A stock TS cuts so much bass that the amp has to be pretty loud for the overall overdriven EQ'ed results to sound good, and the average playing scenario typically calls for lower and saner volumes. IMO, it's possible to find an OD to use with a BF/SF Fender that isn't at either extreme of the mids being too emphasized, or there being too much bass (or what probably equates to being just a fairly flat response).