Is the Roland Blues Cube Hot being discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ataylor, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

It looks like they’re no longer available at Guitar Center (or related sites like Musician’s Friend and Music123), and only available in the blonde finish at Sweetwater and Sam Ash...

I looked quickly to see if Roland had announced a replacement of some sort at the NAMM show but didn’t see anything. Anyone know more?

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like you're on to something, ataylor.

I did a quick search and found some available in Vintage Blonde, but none of the original Roland version in Black...

...but they still ARE listed on Roland's website. Hmm...

I'm glad I got mine when I did. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Anacharsis likes this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Blonde is the standard color for Blues Cubes. There are a limited number of black ones floating around with the standard firmware and alternate versions of the Hot (Boss Drive, EL84) in the same trim.

GC might just be out of them.

4. Mvince550

Mvince550 NEW MEMBER!

Hey, I’m new here but I thought I might add that Behringer pedals are also scarce on the market right now, and some of that may be due to the trade issues with China. I am not an economist or anything, but it seems plausible the current trade conflict is affecting the import of Chinese-made goods. I ordered a SF300 via Sweetwater over a month ago, and the projected ship date when I last emailed was something like late September. If the Blues Cube Hots are produced in China, that may be part of the reason they seem to be scarce. I’m in the market for a ss amp right now and it seems nearly impossible to find the black BC Hots or the el84 BC Hots anywhere, including Reverb.

If they’re not made in China, disregard this and forget I ever mentioned it, please—I’ve just been blowing smoke up my own ace.

5. Mvince550

Mvince550 NEW MEMBER!

If you buy a Standard BC Hot, is it possible, at least in theory, to download the firmware to make it some other version released by Roland, or is the physical component layout different between something like a standard BC Hot and the el84 Hot? I’m assuming they probably don’t release those limited-edition firmwares because they want to sell new amps, but I thought I’d ask.

Thanks a bunch!

MV

6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Big disclaimer: Contains speculation. Your mileage may vary, see dealer for details.

I've written elsewhere that I think the current BC chassis is largely a platform for getting guitar in and loud sound out in a more-or-less flat fashion with DSP in the middle making it sound like whatever they're emulating. That makes changing the character of the amp a software load rather than a bunch of expensive engineering and manufacturing changes. They're doing this at the higher end of the line with tone capsules, and I'd be very surprised if what's in the BCH variants isn't slightly-modified versions of what's in the tone capsules.

Can you re-flash a BCH and make it into a BCH EL84? Theoretically? I think so. Given a couple of each amp and a budget to reverse-engineer it, the firmware could probably be pulled out of one and loaded into the other. Buying a copy of whichever variant you don't have would be a lot cheaper than that kind of a project. Heck, buying a new BCA and all of the tone capsules would probably be cheaper, too.

I've done some eyeball reverse engineering of the tone capsules, and they're just a couple of LEDs and a small serial ROM chip that talks using a bus called I2C. After a lot less reverse engineering, building a gadget to read and store the contents of multiple tone capsules and burp a selected one back to the amp when asked would be a very tractable project. I'll get right on that in my copious spare time. :cool:

bluescube and Mvince550 like this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

They are made in Malaysia.

Then EL84 Hots were a limited run. My understanding was they hadn't intended to sell them in the U.S. to start, but then decided to release a short run. I was lucky to get mine, as it came in and out of stock at Sweetwater within a few weeks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.