Is the recorder the worst instrument ever?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kevoz, Oct 24, 2013.

1. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

AArrgghh recorders! I was at school in the 60's and the only music lesson was...Recorders, they were made of bakerlite and all the mouth pieces were in a big bowl of industrial strength disinfectant, I can still taste the vile stuff to this day.:eek:

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

i was told it was a gateway to clarinet

3. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I played soprano, alto, and tenor recorder as a kid-- my Dad had a nice collection of high-end ones from sopranino to bass. He used to play them with some baroque group after he put away the oboe and English horn. Guess he got tired of cutting reeds.

Knowing my way around a recorder sure made the flute easy to pick up!

5. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

it's a long, slow descant

6. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

Bagpipes, thank you very much.

7. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

8. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

No

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You just have to know when to use it.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Great catch Frodebro!!! The Rolling Stones are just plain awesome!!!!!!

Now, I can feel cool playing with my recorder group. One does play piano and one plays violin and one plays drums. Hmmmm ...

11. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

It depends who's playing it!

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll withhold my judgement until...

I hear a group of nth Korean school kids playing Recorders..... ;)

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

In third grade I played a "Tonette" which is a sort of recorder. I was in a mixed 3ed/4th grade class the next year. The teacher wanted us to play tonettes. I rebeled. Tonette was a 3ed grade instrument. I wouldn't be caught dead playing a tonette in 4th grade. I pretended to lose mine and used every excuse in the book to not have to play that #@$&*! thing. I was at war and my teacher made my life hell. But I never caved in. That summer I went to summer school to take drum lessons. I got my revenge.

I have a couple of penny whistles that I screw around on now. If I'd played the tonette that year, I might be good on the whistle. Then again, maybe not.

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had the opposite experience to the OP. We started playing one of them that at that time were called Tonettes in second grade. I wanted so badly to make music that I paid attention and learned to read music. Some of my friends made fun of me for taking it so seriously, but I didn't care. I just wanted to make music any way I could.

I moved a couple of times after third grade, and when I was in fourth grade we had a chance to join either band, orchestra or choir. They gave us a written test to determine if we had any musical training which I aced so the teachers were sure I had been taking private lessons. I told them I just learned it from playing the Tonette in second grade, but they thought I must have had additional training.

When it came time to pick an instrument I came home and told my dad the rental was $10.00 a month. He told me we could not afford it since he wasn't working at the time. I went back to school feeling totally dejected, but when I told the band director what my father said he told me not to worry about it because he wanted me in the band, and I never had to pay a rental fee.

I started playing a guitar a few months after I started playing the saxophone because my father brought a cheap Mexican classical style guitar home that he bought for $20.00. He also picked up a songbook with some chords diagrammed in it so I taught myself from the book.

About six months after I started playing my dad's guitar he brought it to me one day and asked me to teach him how to play Midnight Special. I had learned it a handful of other songs I picked up from Leadbelly and Josh White records.

15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

16. upinthemteles

upinthemteles Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.